looking for a 720p display with 1:1 pixel mapping

P

panzeroceania

Junior Audioholic
Hello,

there are few 720p displays even for sale anymore, and the few that are, actually have a native resolution of 768p. I was wondering where I could find a 768p panel with a 1:1 pixel mapping mode so that I could connect a 720p source and have no upscaling, stretching, overscanning, or processing of any kind on the content.

it would appear to have little black bars on top and bottom and that is fine, that's what I'm looking for.

I already have a 1080p plasma with 24p film mode for blu-rays, but as it turns out. The majority of my content is still 720p except blu-rays.

all terrestrial tv, cable tv, streaming internet tv, xbox 360 games, ps3 games, etc are still 720p except a handful, like netflix on the PS3 (a very recent development, and I wonder how much of the content is actually in 1080p)

the point is, most of the content I am using is being unnecissarily upscaled.

Does anyone know of any good models sold in stores that do such a thing?

I'll take any suggestions but I'm looking for something between 32" - 50" and preferably a plasma or LED backlit LCD.

Also it'd be nice if it didn't have, or I could turn off a 120hz, 240hz, etc. mode. I don't mind having it but I don't want it to be on because it makes certain things look odd.

It'd also be nice to be able to turn off as much post processing as possible to avoid edge enhancing artifacts and input lag.

ultimately though it just has to be 768p with a 1:1 pixel mapping mode over HDMI (it's important that it be able to do the 1:1 pixel mapping over HDMI because most of my sources are HDMI)

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Wait what? Sounds like a configuration issue with your plasma if you are getting stretched picture.

P

panzeroceania

Junior Audioholic
it's not getting stretched, the ratio is correct, it's just upscaling everything to 1080p. I'd rather just display the content at the native resolution. It's not that it looks bad, just that it could look better.

Cutting out upscaling removes any visual smearing or additional filtering/processing. It also lowers the input lag.

More over, 720p sets cost less than 1080p ones in most situations.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
it's not getting stretched, the ratio is correct, it's just upscaling everything to 1080p. I'd rather just display the content at the native resolution. It's not that it looks bad, just that it could look better.

Cutting out upscaling removes any visual smearing or additional filtering/processing. It also lowers the input lag.

More over, 720p sets cost less than 1080p ones in most situations.
I'm not a gamer, but of that long list of sources, are you sure* that it's 720p we are talking about? I honestly don't know about video games, but are they ever often at 1080i, instead?

For cable TV, I thought almost all channels were 1080i except for perhaps ESPN/ABC.

If my suspicion is correct that you have more 1080i than you think, make sure that you are outputting either 1080i or 1080p, so that you only scale once.

If you are outputting 720p (downscaled from 1080), and then have the TV yet again scale it back up to 768, you are suffering scaling x2, instead of just once. Solving for something like this would hopefully be a good enough compromise.

You may already know this, but I offer it just in case you didn't.

Otherwise, I would be shocked if you can find what you're asking for.

edit: ok, OP has 1080p display? I find it strange that most sources wouldn't look good, considering most things are 1080i, I am led to believe. Well, there is deinterlacing to be done, and at my place 1080p always looks better than 1080i sources.

Most displays should let you defeat most/all of the post processing, at least that's true with plasmas.

Last edited:
krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I'm not a gamer, but of that long list of sources, are you sure* that it's 720p we are talking about? I honestly don't know about video games, but are they ever often at 1080i, instead?

For cable TV, I thought almost all channels were 1080i except for perhaps ESPN/ABC.

If my suspicion is correct that you have more 1080i than you think, make sure that you are outputting either 1080i or 1080p, so that you only scale once.

If you are outputting 720p (downscaled from 1080), and then have the TV yet again scale it back up to 768, you are suffering scaling x2, instead of just once. Solving for something like this would hopefully be a good enough compromise.

You may already know this, but I offer it just in case you didn't.

Otherwise, I would be shocked if you can find what you're asking for.

edit: ok, OP has 1080p display? I find it strange that most sources wouldn't look good, considering most things are 1080i, I am led to believe. Well, there is deinterlacing to be done, and at my place 1080p always looks better than 1080i sources.

Most displays should let you defeat most/all of the post processing, at least that's true with plasmas.
Yeah I am having a hard time grasping what he is doing or wanting exactly as well. I still think it sounds like a setup problem....

P

panzeroceania

Junior Audioholic
actually most games are 720p, see this list.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46241

as for television, my favorite series, such as Lost, when it was airing, and now Fringe, both air in true 720p. I'm not a fan of interlaced content at all.

it's not that the picture is being distorted on my 1080p television. The ratio is good and the image is fine.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I'm looking for a setup that plays a 720p source to a screen with 1:1 pixel mapping.

this would be easy if 720p displays had 1280x720 pixels, but they don't. Most, if not all have 768 vertical pixels. because of that you aren't going to have 1:1 pixel mapping unless you center the 720p image in the middle of the screen.

Why is this important? it isn't very, except for hand drawn art in video games such as BlazBlue where you want the art to be as crisp as possible.

http://www.ps3chat.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/blazblue-continuum-5.jpg

From my studies I believe that many 720p projectors actually do have a 1280x720 lcd in them, so I might look into getting a projector to meet my needs.

if this all is wildly confusing to you, see this.

http://pixelmapping.wikispaces.com/Pixel+mapping+explained

see the picture of the castle, and how the pixel mapped version looks the sharpest and doesn't require any artificial sharpening which could introduce artifacts.

Again, it looks fine on my current set, I'm just aiming for a higher bar.

If you think of it this way, a 720p source can be scaled to a 1080p television just fine but it's never going to be a pixel for pixel match, becuase 1080p is not a multiple of 720p.

Hope that makes more sense to you all.

EDIT:

to be clear this isn't replacing my 1080p24 plasma, I'd use one in each room depending on the content. The 1080p24 plasma will remain in my home theater and the new display would go in the den for gaming and TV

Last edited:
J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I understand pixel mapping. Isn't Lost an ABC show? what about Fringe? Ok it is Fox, and they are also 720p? I guess there's more than one station that does 720 now.

Maybe there is a VP that can do what you're asking? Well, just googling around, here are some hits, even if years old.

Basically, everyone is saying that it doesn't exist on 768. It may on 1080 displays though, so change your target rez?? Well, I guess if you can defeat the scaler with a 768?

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?action=printpage;topic=42873.0

Ok, on the second hit, I now find there is a third station that does 720, National Geographic.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=947943

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=936653

Basically, you need to find a TV that can have its native scaler defeated.

Here is a resource that might be worth looking into, if you haven't already.
http://pixelmapping.wikispaces.com/

Good luck.

P

panzeroceania

Junior Audioholic
hmm, I didn't think about using a VP, that's a great idea and would probably word and greatly improve my options on a display. Thanks for the advice, I know it's a very odd and obscure request, but that's why I came here. It's a great community.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
hmm, I didn't think about using a VP, that's a great idea and would probably word and greatly improve my options on a display. Thanks for the advice, I know it's a very odd and obscure request, but that's why I came here. It's a great community.
Well, I didn't say it, but once I started looking at VP search results, most seem to say it's not worth going that route. I should have noted that in my post, but I figured I'd let you read and make your own opinions. Again, good luck.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis