Lookin for a few good suggestions!

R

rexracer

Junior Audioholic
Yep; it's hard to beat the piece by piece method, you end up with a much better system and get to spread out the money. If your lucky like I was; it will drive your wife crazy and she will tell you to just go buy everything you want and quit talking about it.
I worked kinda like that for me. I actually got the most grief when the wife saw the bill for speaker cable!

J

Jsn

Audiophyte
I worked kinda like that for me. I actually got the most grief when the wife saw the bill for speaker cable!

Yeah I'm all for the "Bug the hell out of your wife so she tells you to buy the whole system and shut up" method! I thought about just piecing everything together but I know how I am, and it will bug the hell out of me to know how much better it would have sounded, if I would have bought the whole system. I may as well bite the bullet and get the whole system to begin with! I'll just have to save up a little longer. I know what you mean about the prices of the cables! The rolls of speaker cable isn't too bad but the HDMI and component cables are outrageous!

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
The rolls of speaker cable isn't too bad but the HDMI and component cables are outrageous!
Monoprice.com will take care of your cable needs very inexpensively.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Another thumbs-down for Sony

I'll second John's comment about the quality of Sony receivers. I had a Sony receiver a few years back, and after having it for a couple of years, it would intermittently make a loud buzzing sound and then shut off. Not only that, but just about EVERY Sony product I have ever bought has been a lemon, (Car stereo's, Mobile ES amps, Walkmen, Receivers), they all broke. The Playstation is the ONLY Sony product I will ever buy.

Definitely don't skimp on your receiver. Save up a little more and get a Denon, Pioneer or Yamaha.

A

autoboy

Audioholic
I personally don't think sony receivers are that bad. They are not audiophyle quality but they aren't bose quality either. I have one that works perfectly after 6 years now powering my Axiom m60s, vp100, and qs8.

I was in your boat also before I started doing research on speakers. I'll tell you right now those Sony speakers are crap though and is the reason the Cerwin Vega sounded better. I think your budget is a little low and I think you can go higher but just don't have anything for comparison. $1500-2000 for receiver and speakers is a better budget and will take you from average to very good. There are a lot of very good systems in that price range. Past it you start to get diminishing returns. If you can afford a 62" TV, than you can afford a good audio system to go with it. Let me tell you, if you watch any movies or action shows in HD on TV, than a good 5.1 system will give you at least as much satisfaction as the big screen. IMO, and I am not a crazy audio guy, my surround system is more important to the enjoyment of movies than the big screen TV (and most of that comes from the big bang SVS pb-12 sub).

I'll also tell you that setting up the speakers correctly is very important to the overall satisfaction. Postion and level and very important. People here can help you with that.

I'm going to recomend the SVS system with a PB-12. Now i'm not an expert and the other guys here can correct me if I am wrong, but at normal volume levels your wife would allow and normal guys listen too, Bookshelf speakers will be able to fill your room.

I'll also recomend the Axiom m22, vp100, and qs4 or 8 system with an SVS pb-12.

If you can't tell, i love my pb-12 :D

H

HDaddict!

Audiophyte
You want to up that budget a smidge. You're pricing yourself out of some other good stuff. I would recommend going a step at a time. Otherwise, you're going to end up with equipment and speakers you're going to be replacing relatively quickly.

If you can't afford a really nice receiver with the best processors, DAC's, and pre-amp outputs (to add an amplifier later for extra oomph in driving larger speakers cleanly), then try the upcoming Onkyo 605. It is ready for all the inputs and audio formats of Blu-ray (and HD-DVD, though I'm not in that camp). It will be released in May. MSRP $499, but I'm sure on-line dealers will sell for it for less.

Then get some good fronts. Save for the rest.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis