Long run UPB cable to DAC

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Need to run a USP cable from my Mac to my Parasound DAC. What is the longest range you can go. I think I read somewhere that 6 feet was the longest you can go or it starts to break up. I am not so sure on this. I need to run about a ten foot cable. Any suggestions?

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
Recommendation is no longer than 2 meters. For longer runs consider an alternative connection type. Or move your gear.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Need to run a USP cable from my Mac to my Parasound DAC. What is the longest range you can go. I think I read somewhere that 6 feet was the longest you can go or it starts to break up. I am not so sure on this. I need to run about a ten foot cable. Any suggestions?
I am not a big fan of USB connections in the slightest! It is just not a very robust connection, the only real advantage is that it can also carry power. On a side note, the major mags like to tell the readers that USB is the greatest connection for your DAC......I firmly disagree.

6 feet is the absolute max that I would use for any application.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
As long as DAC supports usb A-Sync - that should not be a concern - it would either work or not.
I successfully ran usb cable of 15ft length PLUS 25ft active extension usb cord to 1080p Web camera and guess - what it worked (after driver installed)

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Right now I use Toslink. I can't move my equipment any closer so I may just settle on using Toslink.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
As I mentioned, I would personally choose Toslink instead of USB, if that were a reasonable option

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I read somewhere my DAC had better quality sound by using USB over Toslink. I doubt I would hear the difference but thought I would try it out.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I read somewhere my DAC had better quality sound by using USB over Toslink. I doubt I would hear the difference but thought I would try it out.
I read somewhere that black is the new white by using usb over Toslink. I doubt I would see the difference but thought I would try it out.

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
There are inherent technical differences using RCA coaxial, BNC coaxial, TOSLink, USB (of various types), and AES/EBU for digital audio transmission. But, independent of that, there are also implementation and as a result sometimes audible differences between the connection types when used with a specific product.

The OPPO HA-1 I'm using right now is obviously better via USB from my iMac than via TOSLink. Despite having whatever goodness the ESS Sabre chipset is supposed to provide to address potential signal issues.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Are we talking about the XDA-1 or some other DAC?

I typically use my XDA-1 with Parasound zCD connected via the optical connection.

I only use the USB connection if I want to hook up my laptop to my 2 channel rig.

IIRC, I'm pretty sure that the XDA-1 can't handle the higher sample rates over USB, but it can over optical. But for my CD quality files, it's a moot point.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I am using a Parasound ZDAC 2 and not the XDA-1 at the moment.

L

Latent

Full Audioholic
http://archimago.blogspot.co.nz/2013/04/measurements-usb-cables-for-dacs.html

Seems to be no issues running longer length cables with DAC's. Lots of mistrust for USB but it works fine most of the time. If the cable is too long and thin it will cause problems but you will hear the problems when this happens and know to try a different cable. Basically can't go wrong as it is either perfect transmission or causes issues and you will know about it.

Not sure if you may get a small amount of added delay or jitter from using active repeaters but if it is just a simple passive cable I don't think you should have any issues.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis