Logitech Speaker System Z906 First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Is the Logitech Speaker System Z906 for everyone? Of course not. But if you are on a serious budget and are looking for a $350 5.1 system with a basic receiver, we're betting you could do a lot worse. The speakers are all wall mountable, the "sub" promises 165 watts of "pure" bass, and the remote is wireless. With up to six inputs on the control unit/receiver, you'll be hard pressed to use them all. We wish we had more information on the frequency response and drivers (not to mention construction) but, honestly, it doesn't matter. It has 500 watts. And that's, like, 70 cents a watt. You can't beat that right?

Discuss "Logitech Speaker System Z906 First Look" here. Read the article.

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
THX certified, really? THX seems to have lost some cred as far as i am concerned

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
THX multimedia is different, but it's still useless imo. I've owned a few sets of logitech speakers and I'm glad I finally got out of that mess.

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
I want to parts express and got me a 20wpc tri-path amp some Dayton audio speakers and got a 99 dollar Sony 10 inch sub for my PC. Sounds pretty good. Good enough so that I can sit and learn songs on my 5 string bass and hear every note spend about 158 bucks total

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
Yeah, I'm thinking about getting one of those little amps and some cheap dayton speakers for work - I've currently got this dinky little dell system that isn't all that great:
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/video_conferencing/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=313-7966
yu would be suprised at how good this speakers sound, but the best part is you can pretty much get what ever sppeakers you want, as long as the amp wil ldrive them like for example some psb book shelf speakers

X

xijonix

Audiophyte
Yeah well from previous logitech experiences, sound quality will be great but plugging in high end speakers into them won't make much a difference, the amplifier will only push mids and highs to the satellites, not even mid-bass. So if your expecting to push your bookshelf's or tower speakers with this, then consider again, however the unit itself seem's promising, quality will be great like all other logitech units. Just do note, don't count on buying this to switch out the stock speakers for your own, cause quality difference will be limited, might hear something better but not mind boggling difference because of the frequency pushed out by the amplifier into satellites aren't sufficient for bookshelf speakers to even benefit. However, if you have great bookshelf speakers you might noticed increase performance in midrange and if the bookshelf has a tweeter that will be great as well, however from experience Klipsch are the worst to hook up (or any other that is equipped with a high efficiency tweeter), because of their horn tweeters, and the logitech amp pushing a good bit of highs to feed the phase plug well, it will be unbearable easily.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
It wouldn't make any sense to buy logitech speakers and swap the speakers with something else, we were talking about the cheap amps on parts express :)

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
Yeah well from previous logitech experiences, sound quality will be great but plugging in high end speakers into them won't make much a difference, the amplifier will only push mids and highs to the satellites, not even mid-bass. So if your expecting to push your bookshelf's or tower speakers with this, then consider again, however the unit itself seem's promising, quality will be great like all other logitech units. Just do note, don't count on buying this to switch out the stock speakers for your own, cause quality difference will be limited, might hear something better but not mind boggling difference because of the frequency pushed out by the amplifier into satellites aren't sufficient for bookshelf speakers to even benefit. However, if you have great bookshelf speakers you might noticed increase performance in midrange and if the bookshelf has a tweeter that will be great as well, however from experience Klipsch are the worst to hook up (or any other that is equipped with a high efficiency tweeter), because of their horn tweeters, and the logitech amp pushing a good bit of highs to feed the phase plug well, it will be unbearable easily.

this is what i was talking about

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=310-300

G

Guavamanh

Junior Audioholic
Imho

I think a lot of ppl on this forum are going to poopoo this system and diss the THX certification... but I think this is a great solution for people with this price range that don't want to buy a reciever in a small bedroom/dorm room. (Perfect for computer speakers/Gaming/Bluray Player). I admit, I was the immature guy that blasted his Logitech speakers in college while people were studying (sorry ppl) =p

I've since moved on to a better system (Yamaha RX-A2000 + Klipsch Ultra2 5.2 setup) but I still enjoy listening to MP3s on my old Logitech speakers... brings me back to the good old days =p Not to start a flame war, but whenever THX is brought up the same guys start bashing it in a similar fashion to Bose. Not saying it's the best thing since sliced bread but I wouldn't look at a product in a negative light just because it's THX certified. Just my two cents for what its worth =)

Last edited:
its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Like I said, I've owned several logitech sets - Z-5300e (5.1), Z-3 (2.1), and Z-5500 (5.1). None of them were very good in hindsight, and I'd easily recommend a used receiver and a decent pair of bookshelves over them.

Of course, if you absolutely have to have surround and are only willing to spend $200~$250, then I guess these are your ticket (provided they are on sale)...but these new speakers seem to be less capable than the z-5500s they are replacing.

Anyway, about the THX certification - these are THX multimedia certified, and nobody knows what that even means.

G

Guavamanh

Junior Audioholic
Like I said, I've owned several logitech sets - Z-5300e (5.1), Z-3 (2.1), and Z-5500 (5.1). None of them were very good in hindsight, and I'd easily recommend a used receiver and a decent pair of bookshelves over them.

Of course, if you absolutely have to have surround and are only willing to spend $200~$250, then I guess these are your ticket (provided they are on sale)...but these new speakers seem to be less capable than the z-5500s they are replacing.

Anyway, about the THX certification - these are THX multimedia certified, and nobody knows what that even means.
Yeah, I agree THX multimedia cert = who knows what it means... but what I'm saying is lets just disregard the badge and consider this set as what it is.. a budget $350 surround sound/reciever option. In hindsight I'm still glad I had my logitech system, but I agree a used reciever/bookshelves on a good deal would be better than this system (but you'd miss out on surround like you stated). I remember I got my logitech 5.1 on a deal for $200 from Dell like 10 years ago... anyways, I think I have/had the Z-5500, never tried this system so thanks for the input =)

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
G

Guavamanh

Junior Audioholic
I only spent 158 on my speakers and amp and sub

amp:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=310-300

speakers:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-652

sub
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158SAW2500/Sony-SA-W2500.html?tp=187

I did have a set of logitech z cinnama 2.1 that were usb powered. the sounded fantastic, when the worked. the driver woud stop working and they woud screach. I had t restart often. Now they are with speaker heven (or hell)
So i guess with this set up you would have ~$200 left for a reciever? Unless you plan to run all your audio through the 3.5mm jack... also missing center and surrounds like we said earlier. And... sorry IMHO it's kinda ugly hehe, but to each his own =) I don't recall having any trouble with my Logitech speakers but maybe the build quality is different now compared to 10 years ago. Thanks for the links though! =)

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
So i guess with this set up you would have ~$200 left for a reciever? Unless you plan to run all your audio through the 3.5mm jack... also missing center and surrounds like we said earlier. And... sorry IMHO it's kinda ugly hehe, but to each his own =) I don't recall having any trouble with my Logitech speakers but maybe the build quality is different now compared to 10 years ago. Thanks for the links though! =)
I could no car leass what it looks like, it sounds great. My Pv os 2 channel only. that i were i preactice bass and the z series were a dog!. usb powered speakers are a bad idea. I have a home theater accross the room so 2.1 is more than good

C

cybertron

Audiophyte
I have the Z-5500 speakers and I was happy with them for a long time. This being said, I also am a big headphone audiophile and have about $1400 in headphones. So, I knew what I was lacking and understood the 5500's to be "BOOM!" speakers and basically good for casual listening, movies and TV shows.

I recently had an issue with my 5500's and they were under warranty and will be getting replaced with the Z-906 set once they finally release. I'm really disappointed to hear all the bad stuff about them, but at the same time, I don't think they have technically been released... right? So maybe people are just trying to dog them.

Anyway, I fell prey to the spam (if it is in fact) and I decided to buy some bookshelf speakers by the name of AudioEngine A5. I set them up a few days ago and let me tell you... they are the best Speakers I've owned. I bought them used on Audiogon, but who cares, they work just the same and sound bloody amazing. New, they will set you back the same as these speakers (well, before the price hike). Look them up. Will be selling my z-906 when they come :D

S

seehear

Audiophyte
How do you "review" a product you havent used?

<Rant On>
Not for nothing, but... Really! I'm supposed to take a review seriously when it's clear that the "reviewer" not only has not used the product, but isn't even familiar with the product family? The Z600 and Z5500, the predecessors to the Z906 are, arguably, the best bang for the buck computer speakers of their respective generations. The bass is, actually, room shaking in most dorm room or home office settings. While hardly the last word in fidelity, they are plenty satisfying; playing loud and clear with minimal distortion (as long as you are judicious with the bass level). Though not satisfying for anything approaching "critical listening" of music, they are more than adequate for gaming, dorm room parties (or anytime the music just has to be loud with booming bass) and watching movies in full surround (Dolby digital and DTS) on the cheap.
In fact, AFAIK, Logitech is the only game in town still making 5.1 computer speakers. Oops, wait a minute, I seem to remember Corsair is challenging the position Logitech won by attrition from the likes of Creative and Cambridge. I have yet to hear the Corsair offering, but they generally offer products of higher than average quality and performance. Regardless, my point is not that I have heard the Z906, but that it is ludicrous, IMHO, to review a system you haven't heard; especially when you don't even have familiarity with the previous generations of the product family to lend your opinions credibility beyond that worthy of pure conjecture. Logitech has a history of improving each generation of this product, making the newest offering more than deserving of a listen before being disparaged based purely on the specs published. Especially when the provided specs are all but useless in the absence of a meaningful way to correlate said specs to sound quality.
<Rant Off>

Thank you for reading.

Sincerely,
SeeHear

Last edited:
Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
<Rant On>
Not for nothing, but... Really! I'm supposed to take a review seriously when it's clear that the "reviewer" not only has not used the product, but isn't even familiar with the product family? The Z600 and Z5500, the predecessors to the Z906 are, arguably, the best bang for the buck computer speakers of their respective generations. The bass is, actually, room shaking in most dorm room or home office settings. While hardly the last word in fidelity, they are plenty satisfying; playing loud and clear with minimal distortion (as long as you are judicious with the bass level). Though not satisfying for anything approaching "critical listening" of music, they are more than adequate for gaming, dorm room parties (or anytime the music just has to be loud with booming bass) and watching movies in full surround (Dolby digital and DTS) on the cheap.
In fact, AFAIK, Logitech is the only game in town still making 5.1 computer speakers. Oops, wait a minute, I seem to remember Corsair is challenging the position Logitech won by attrition from the likes of Creative and Cambridge. I have yet to hear the Corsair offering, but they generally offer products of higher than average quality and performance. Regardless, my point is not that I have heard the Z906, but that it is ludicrous, IMHO, to review a system you haven't heard; especially when you don't even have familiarity with the previous generations of the product family to lend your opinions credibility beyond that worthy of pure conjecture. Logitech has a history of improving each generation of this product, making the newest offering more than deserving of a listen before being disparaged based purely on the specs published. Especially when the provided specs are all but useless in the absence of a meaningful way to correlate said specs to sound quality.
<Rant Off>

Thank you for reading.

Sincerely,
SeeHear
It's not a "Review" it's a "First Look"

W

wtxgringo

Audiophyte
Z906

apr 17 '11 by G51 speaker set went out, or the control pod did & wouldn't turn the speakers on any longer, so i contacted logitech cust svc thru email & since it was still under warranty, they offered to replace my speakers with the Z906! i was kinda surprised since retail the Zs cost almost $400 & i only paid $150 for the G51, but ok go ahead & send em. just today i called logitech to inquire where my speakers are since they emailed me may 18 that they were ready to ship but i never heard a peep since. apparently logitech is still having trouble meeting customer demands because once more i'm put on a holding list, how long? who knows. i can only hope that once i get the Zs i'll enjoy them as much as i did with the G51s, regardless of watts or loudness. i just want decent computer speakers to turn on every time i fire up my pc & want to listen to the radio or a cd. i used to watch blu ray on my pc but i have a better home theater for that now. i'll disregard all the negative reviews i've read on logitech & elsewhere til i have the chance to hear the Zs myself!:cool:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis