J

john66mustang

Audiophyte
Hey ALL! new here so take it easy on the n00bie :-D

its seems like nobody cares about jazz music anymore. they think its all about rap and pop rock or whatever but without jazz and legends like Ella Fitzgerald there would be no modern music scene. thats why i did this Ella Fitzgerald album that just came out called "Love Letters From Ella". It has some collaborations with Count Basie and the London Symphony Orchestra. it sounds great too because its in hi-def audio. do yourselves a favor and check it out sometime myspace or good or something

-john, umg

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I'm a huge Jazz fan, but mostly modern fusion from the likes of:
Pat Metheny
Larry Carlton
Lee Ritenoir
Tribal Tech
Weather Report
Special EFX

IMO, the most talented musicians are Jazz musicians.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I'm on the same boat as Gene, plus check out favorite bands, guitarists, drummers threads you'll be surprised how many Audioholics are into jazz and "smart" pop/rock. And welcome to Audioholics!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Rippingtons have some good stuff. I don't love all of it, but I am not a total Jazz nut like my dad. Dad has actually met some of the Rippingtons at local venues since he and my mom go see them whenever they are here.

There is an album called "From the Redwoods to the Rockies" that features Russ Freeman and Craig Chaquico that I absolutely love!! If you don't have this Clint, pick it up. It is more guitar and a little different than the Rippingtons, but it is excellent.

F

footman

Junior Audioholic
Fast access

BeBop.com. One great selection after the other. Very little repetition. Decent sound quality.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I'm trapped in the 90s and love the Rippingtons.
I forgot to include them. Their CD's are a bit watery but they absolutely rock in concert.

The sad thing about Jazz is it was never properly marketed which is why it never successfully hit mainstream. We don't need another MTV Cribs channel, we need an all Jazz channel and in 5.1!

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
As a guitar player, I love Al DiMeola, especially the stuff he did with Paco De Lucia.

On the whole, however, I like more bebop and older jazz. I love Dave Brubeck, Thelonius Monk, Charlie Parker, Benny Goodman and the soundtrack to Sweet and Lowdown.

Jim

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I have a fair amount of jazz in my collection. Some of it is "hard" jazz (eg Sonny Rollins) but most is "smooth" jazz (eg Spyro Gyra.) My current favorite is Mindi Abair, and one of my all-time favorites is Bill Frissel. Oh, and anyone who has not heard Herb Alpert simply must do so.
A lot of my music that is not really jazz (new age, electronica, world music, etc.) includes jazz elements.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
You'll note a fair bit of jazz talk on the threads about favorite musicians, and Max Roach's passing was noted with a thread, etc., so there's definitely a jazz crowd here.

I listen to tons of Bill Evans, Coltrane, Davis, Dave Brubeck, Bud Powell, Thelonious Monk, Django Reinhardt, and some modern stuff like Joshua Redman and John Scofield too.

My big worry about jazz is that there are very few big jazz 'scenes', and so many people - including young musicians, especially! - have little exposure to good live jazz.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I have the complete Ken Burns Jazz documentary set (DVDs, CDs, and book.) Expensive, yes, but an excellent investment for those who wish to learn about jazz history. (Being old, many of the recordings on the CDs are not so great, but the performances are outstanding.)

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
You'll note a fair bit of jazz talk on the threads about favorite musicians, and Max Roach's passing was noted with a thread, etc., so there's definitely a jazz crowd here.

I listen to tons of Bill Evans, Coltrane, Davis, Dave Brubeck, Bud Powell, Thelonious Monk, Django Reinhardt, and some modern stuff like Joshua Redman and John Scofield too.

My big worry about jazz is that there are very few big jazz 'scenes', and so many people - including young musicians, especially! - have little exposure to good live jazz.
We're lucky down here in that regard, the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area has some great jazz clubs, Arturo Sandoval opened a really nice venue on the beach and he's been headlining some great talent.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
We're lucky down here in that regard, the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area has some great jazz clubs, Arturo Sandoval opened a really nice venue on the beach and he's been headlining some great talent.
I doubt that luck has anything to do with it. Lots of rich retirees are a much more likely explanation.:cool:
One thing I miss about Raleigh, NC is the free jazz concerts in the park. I saw The Rippingtons, The Yellowjackets, Acoustic Alchemy, and The Canadian Brass there.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Jazz Concerts

Jazz music is out there just under the mainstream radar.
Just saw a Diana Krall concert in Tahoe last week. A friend saw her the following night with the SF Symphony Orchestra.

Also, some of the Jazz Festivals in larger cities are a good way to hear lots of bands from across the country.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I doubt that luck has anything to do with it. Lots of rich retirees are a much more likely explanation.:cool:
One thing I miss about Raleigh, NC is the free jazz concerts in the park. I saw The Rippingtons, The Yellowjackets, Acoustic Alchemy, and The Canadian Brass there.
Actually, from what I've noticed in the jazz clubs that I frequent, the crowd is made up of thirty to forty somethings, I haven't noticed the blue hair set.:D

Starmax

Starmax

Full Audioholic
I forgot to include them. Their CD's are a bit watery but they absolutely rock in concert.

The sad thing about Jazz is it was never properly marketed which is why it never successfully hit mainstream. We don't need another MTV Cribs channel, we need an all Jazz channel and in 5.1!
Rock & roll (Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, etc.) wasn't "properly marketed" at its inception either, but it spoke to the kids and caught fire on a grass-roots level. I don't think jazz communicates nearly so directly or viscerally...it's not as easily and universally understood as R&R. No matter how well-marketed, I don't believe jazz would ever have as much of a maintream impact as rock and roll because of its nature.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
No matter how well-marketed, I don't believe jazz would ever have as much of a maintream impact as rock and roll because of its nature.
Jazz was mainstream - and hugely so - before rock and roll. It was biggest during the peak of Swing before WWII, but was on the charts regularly into the 50s. Even the advanced bop music of Parker and Gillespie was quite popular, was showcased on early TV shows in the 50s, etc. Brubeck managed to sell quite a lot of records even in the early 60s. Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, Weather Report, and others had Gold records in the 70s.

Lots of post-swing Jazz does require more of a listener investment and often isn't even meant to have mainstream appeal, but the idea that the language of Jazz is inaccessible to the masses is flatly contradicted by history!

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
My listening consists of about 90% Jazz.

JC, Please dont tell my wife you saw Diana Krall in concert; that will only cost me a bunch of money so she can she her too!

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Jazz was mainstream - and hugely so - before rock and roll. It was biggest during the peak of Swing before WWII, but was on the charts regularly into the 50s. Even the advanced bop music of Parker and Gillespie was quite popular, was showcased on early TV shows in the 50s, etc. Brubeck managed to sell quite a lot of records even in the early 60s. Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, Weather Report, and others had Gold records in the 70s.

Lots of post-swing Jazz does require more of a listener investment and often isn't even meant to have mainstream appeal, but the idea that the language of Jazz is inaccessible to the masses is flatly contradicted by history!
Agreed, you hit the proverbial nail on the head: "Jazz does require more of a listener investment", reminds me of what my numbnuts brother in law told my niece: "you need to read the book?, Why?, it's out on dvd." In today's processed, I want it now musical landscape there's no time to actually listen.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis