lied to and cheated of my money by AUDIO-QUEST

K

Kiwiaudio68

Audiophyte
so I have been cheated by a dealer who sold me a dragonfly 1.2 and told me it would work with an iPod 5g and then Alasdair Patrick Head office manager for Audioquest told me"you were told it would work, it will not,will they swap for the red for black D/f after 10 months of trying to get the dealer to acknowledge my issues with the dragonfly...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry to hear, I don't buy from dealers that push Audioquest in the first place as I pretty much feel that way (cheated) about any Audioquest product due all the audiophoolery involved. Charlatans in my book. Poor customer service in any case. Hope they lose a few sales.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
With outfits like Audioquest, the lying and cheating happen well before any purchase is made.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Are their cables still decent? Or just overpriced? Compared to other companies. reason I ask is that I usually find decent deals on them. For instance I bought 2 10ft hdmi pearls for $30 brand new shipped.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Are their cables still decent? Or just overpriced? Compared to other companies. reason I ask is that I usually find decent deals on them. For instance I bought 2 10ft hdmi pearls for $30 brand new shipped.
As long as the price is good, it is all good, just like any other good cables.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
In that you could spend less for a similar cable, I dunno why that's a decent deal. Maybe you put value to their nonsense marketing bs?

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
When I can have it for less than $10, yep.
Compared to what other brands, I'm not partial to any one company, was mostly curious to over all quality of audioquest vs other brands. (Not to hijack this thread)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why would I want to even consider an Audioquest product in the first place? Just because their marketing to the 'phools has been successful? Reward them for their bullshit? I'd take just about any other brand (well except other brands catering to the 'phools). If you want a well made, proper gauge cable I'd suggest someone a bit more honest about the whole thing, maybe Blue Jeans Cable. Monoprice and Mediabridge are brands I've bought for hdmi, they work fine.

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I can see my cables every time I walk into the room from a doorway behind and to the right of the right front speaker. They're pretty to look at....to me...because I made them and they sound an awful lot like a high end Audioquest or Nordost. I know I couldn't tell any difference because I tried those.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
so I have been cheated by a dealer...
Kiwiaudio68,
Your first post is, "I have been cheated". I'm glad you found Audioholics as there is an abundance of knowledge, experience and help here. It's a shame you didn't seek advice BEFORE you bought.

To me, the lesson here is not that Audioquest is bad. The lesson is when buying something with which you're not familiar, you should seek advice first. And advice from an unknown seller doesn't necessarily count.

K

Kiwiaudio68

Audiophyte
well that guy is smart, i went online to read a few reviews and then asked the only retailer in nz a relevant questions to my purchase so what more should i have done SIR?

thanks for the other opinions though , good advice about the fair trade act etc in nz,thanks again

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
But of course they do. :D
:D

To be honest, it was just a week or so ago when for the first time I actually heard a difference in cables.

I helped my cousin shop for speakers and he went home with PSB Imagine T's. He's got a Denon AVR-S700 receiver and had his previous Klipsch R-24F speakers hooked up "bare wire" style to it with Monster 16 gauge zip cord type speaker wire that he'd bought years ago at Best Buy. The dealer had loaned him a pair of Nordost Purple Flair cables to test. When we first installed both the speakers were very nearly as bright as those screeching Klipsch. We went back to his junky cable and that was gone, along with a LOT of detail. Mind you, the Nordost cables are 12 feet long while the Monster zip cord wire was only about 8 feet.

I made him a pair of 12 gauge cables like these:

Made out of Monoprice 12ga CL2 with Techflex sheathing, KnuKoncepts cable pants, Blue Jeans Cable locking banana plugs and heat shrink tubing.

With some minor room treatment, major repositioning of the speakers and recalibration of the Audyssey, the Imagine T's now sound GREAT.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
well that guy is smart
Who? The dealer that told you it would work?

There are dozens of experts here, with decades of experience. Even if your dealer is a childhood friend and godfather of your children, he is one guy with one guy's experience and motivations. Wouldn't it be prudent to include the knowledge of the forum in your discussions with the dealer before you buy?

K

Kiwiaudio68

Audiophyte
Who? The dealer that told you it would work?

There are dozens of experts here, with decades of experience. Even if your dealer is a childhood friend and godfather of your children, he is one guy with one guy's experience and motivations. Wouldn't it be prudent to include the knowledge of the forum in your discussions with the dealer before you buy?
What!? are you talking about
Yeah cool man so maybe damage on me from this point forward , so now that i have the 1.2, headphones what do i buy to use as a portable rig?Oppo Ha2? maybe, good reviews but not heard ,cheers

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis