LG BD300, Blu-ray and Netflix Together at Last!

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
This September a new Blu-ray player will hit the market from LG that makes cunning use of the Ethernet port. The BD300 will be capable of streaming Netflix movies. Blu-ray Profile 2.0 certainly has its advantages.

Discuss "LG BD300, Blu-ray and Netflix Together at Last!" here. Read the article.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
Ok, now this really has my attention! I don't want to "buy" movies. And blu ray only composes a small percentage of all movies released. But to be able to stream movies from netflix, and occassionally rent a big time movie in the BluRay format? Sheeet sign me up, that is a perfect combo.

N

NeverSeen

Audioholic
Come on PS3 firmware update!!! How cool would THAT be?!

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
Come on PS3 firmware update!!! How cool would THAT be?!
Very highly unlikely in my opinion- at least in the short term. They're trying to push their own online rental product as part of the Playstation store. If that venture fails, then I could it see it happening.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
Perfect would be if it played SACD, DVD-A and had 6 channel anolog out with full bass management. Still, it's got my interest as well.
You know alex, I agree, and I just bought a brand new $100 dollar Pioneer Elite DV48A partly because it does DVDA SACD, but truth be known, I rarely listen to my hi rez discs anymore since I bought a music server.

My Denon 3910 is for sale on ebay. Davidtwotrees. I will list it here shortly.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
So, can anyone say more on this? I have ethernet to my rig rack, as well as close to my bedroom set up. I currently rent movies through blockbuster but would go back to netflix for this set up. Will they be streaming bluray hd movies?!

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
http://www.abt.com/images/products/PDF_Files/BD300_spec_sheet.pdf

this is available for preorder from ABT electronics. $399 shipped is in my wheelhouse.
I have no desire to "buy" movies. To have them streamed into my home in hd is a huge deal to me, personally...........
However, no analog outs......but this might get me to jump into the hdmi based processor market............I no longer care about sacd and dvda.
Anyone know the release date.........I can't find it....

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
http://www.abt.com/images/products/PDF_Files/BD300_spec_sheet.pdf

this is available for preorder from ABT electronics. $399 shipped is in my wheelhouse.
I have no desire to "buy" movies. To have them streamed into my home in hd is a huge deal to me, personally...........
However, no analog outs......but this might get me to jump into the hdmi based processor market............I no longer care about sacd and dvda.
Anyone know the release date.........I can't find it....
This unit sure looks a lot like the Panny to me. Thanks for the link. It has my attention as well. I have a 42" LG 1080P LCD so this may just be the one for me. Going to wait a bit longer though as Sony is supposed to drop the BR player prices very soon.

Cheers,

Phil

A

allargon

Audioholic General
This unit sure looks a lot like the Panny to me. Thanks for the link. It has my attention as well. I have a 42" LG 1080P LCD so this may just be the one for me. Going to wait a bit longer though as Sony is supposed to drop the BR player prices very soon.

Cheers,

Phil
Phil, that looks nothing like the Panny. It doesn't even have multichannel analog outs. The menu looks like the BH200 as does the back panel. The front panel looks like a cleaner version of the BH200.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10004471-1.html

The spec sheet posted lists everything to be the same as the BH200 sans HD DVD playback. Internal decoding of DD+ and Dolby TrueHD but no DTS-HD? Check. AVC/BD-RE? Check. MP3 playback? Check. Same remote? Check.

Many of us are wondering if LG will add similar Netflix capabilities to the BH200. What is not clear is if the BD300 has the same excellent Marvell QDEO video processor that the BH200 and that $2200 Panasonic have. Hopefully, they didn't gimp that as well.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Phil, that looks nothing like the Panny. It doesn't even have multichannel analog outs. The menu looks like the BH200 as does the back panel. The front panel looks like a cleaner version of the BH200.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10004471-1.html

The spec sheet posted lists everything to be the same as the BH200 sans HD DVD playback. Internal decoding of DD+ and Dolby TrueHD but no DTS-HD? Check. AVC/BD-RE? Check. MP3 playback? Check. Same remote? Check.

Many of us are wondering if LG will add similar Netflix capabilities to the BH200. What is not clear is if the BD300 has the same excellent Marvell QDEO video processor that the BH200 and that $2200 Panasonic have. Hopefully, they didn't gimp that as well.
LOL............I meant from the front it does kinda look like the Panny to me. Well, at least from the pictures I have seen of the Panasonics. Of course, I do not own one (BR Player) and have never really seen any of them up close. However, I will own a BR player soon or I may just get a PS3.

Cheers,

Phil

A

allargon

Audioholic General
No worries, Phil. I made a boo-boo. I meant to type $2200 Pioneer not $2200 Panasonic. :eek:

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
No worries, Phil. I made a boo-boo. I meant to type $2200 Pioneer not $2200 Panasonic. :eek:
LOL............no problemo my friend. Crap happens..........LOL!!!!! ;);)

Cheers,

Phil

Saw this player at the show. One thing that sets it apart from the Roku box is that it's actually faster and has an instantaneous update when you reorder your movies or add new titles to your queue. They demoed it live and I was impressed. The Roku box has to be "tricked" into updating if you want to see changes right away. Quality looked excellent.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
Thanks, Clint. I am on the mailing list with ABT electronics to know when they have this for sale. Do you know how Netflix will charge for this service? Is it going to be more expensive than the mail service? Any other details you care to share?! :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
The streaming movies are part of the membership - no additional cost. If you have a PC (not a Mac, yet), you can watch the streaming movies right now.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
Thanks, Adam! I am currently with Blockbuster due to the fact that I can take my mailed movie to the store and pick up a fresh one. I have the one at a time plan so this works out best for me. But streaming movies and a blu ray player would send me back to Netflix!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
No problem! I just want to add that the quality of the streaming movies is dependent on your download speeds. Netflix's viewer doesn't seem to have a good buffering system. I have 1.5Mbps on my DSL (granted, junk by today's standards), and the movies are blurry. I get what they call "Basic" quality. So, I have no desire to move to a set-top box for Netflix because the movies won't look at that great for me...until my phone company upgrades the DSL equipment in my neighborhood. I'd definitely recommend trying it out on your PC (if you have one) with one of Netflix's free trials before you commit to dropping Blockbuster or getting this new combo player.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
Makes sense as the Netflix stuff is only SD at this time... if this is a Blu-Ray/Netflix only BH200 (The BD300 was originally going to be a BH300 HD DVD/Blu-Ray player until Warner/Toshiba abandoned HD DVD.), then the upscaling ability of the system should be excellent. The Marvell QDEO is up there with the Reon. However, the BH200 does s-t-r-e-t-c-h 4:3 discs. Hopefully the BD300 doesn't stretch those 4:3 pan and scan streams from Netflix.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
Sighs. Nothing is easy now is it! Thanks for the very informed up to the minute!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis