Lfe xover on integra dtr 7.8

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Mordaunt-Short MS902 and dayton 1200. What's a good starting point on the xovers? I can set the front xover different from the lfe and I believe that's where I'm having issues (should those both be set the same?). I set both at 100 and the sub auto turn on doesn't seem to be kicking on all the time (possible weak signal?) if I'm understanding this correctly, I would prefer to have the xover set as low as possible, only sending anything under 70 to the sub, or is that too low?)

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I think I myself have 80Hz for my speakers and 120Hz for subs. Just try different settings and see what sounds best to you.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There is a crossover between your speakers and the sub; 80 hz is a good starting point generally. Are you using the Audyssey XT setup? What did it recommend for each speaker? You don't have a separate LFE crossover but you do have the LPF of LFE setting, which is simply a limit on the content that has a .1 ch, and since the LFE channel is normally limited to 120hz that is the usual setting.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

If the sub isn’t kicking in, it’s a weak signal, and that has nothing to do with the crossover frequency you’ve set. Turn up the sub level in the receiver, and then reduce the gain on the sub itself to compensate.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
80 hz is a very common crossover point between sub and mains.

I do have a related question. deftech recommends a crossover setting of 60 hz for the studiomonitor 55, which is where I have it set for my mains. however, my receiver won't go lower than 80 hz for the subwoofers themselves. should I use my sub's built in crossover to go lower and bypass the bass management system by turning it all the way up on my receiver?

in other words, turn bass management up to 120 hz in my receiver settings, then use the dial on the subs themselves to get a lower crossover point to match my mains at 60 hz? am I way over thinking this?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've owned the 902s (nice little speaker). You'll want to cross them at 80.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
So basically the lfe xover is completely independent of the front (and other channels) xover?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So basically the lfe xover is completely independent of the front (and other channels) xover?
A crossover is both a high pass filter and low pass filter applied together; the LPF of LFE is only a low pass filter and only affects content in the .1 channel (like a x.1 movie soundtrack). It is separate from the bass management between speakers and sub.

Here's Audyssey's original take on it https://audyssey.zendesk.com/entries/321931-LPF-on-LFE; here's a further discussion of it. Personally I use 120. YMMV.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
80 hz is a very common crossover point between sub and mains.

I do have a related question. deftech recommends a crossover setting of 60 hz for the studiomonitor 55, which is where I have it set for my mains. however, my receiver won't go lower than 80 hz for the subwoofers themselves. should I use my sub's built in crossover to go lower and bypass the bass management system by turning it all the way up on my receiver?

in other words, turn bass management up to 120 hz in my receiver settings, then use the dial on the subs themselves to get a lower crossover point to match my mains at 60 hz? am I way over thinking this?
Are you also talking about the LPF of LFE when you say your avr won't go lower than 80hz?

Usually not recommended to combine the lpf control on your sub as well as that set in the crossover set in your avr.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about. I played with setting it how I described and it didn't sound that great, so I got to experience what you explained and put it back. it doesn't sound terrible now with the way it's set. I'm just obsessing and wondering if I was missing something I could tweak to make it even better.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about. I played with setting it how I described and it didn't sound that great, so I got to experience what you explained and put it back. it doesn't sound terrible now with the way it's set. I'm just obsessing and wondering if I was missing something I could tweak to make it even better.
I'd experiment with the crossover settings for preference (and not necessarily follow DT's rec) and leave the LPF of LFE alone....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes and no. The LFE x-over does not affect the other speakers, but the high pass does determine what other bass is redirected from the other speakers to the sub. LFE and that redirected bass from the mains based on the x-over are different.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd experiment with the crossover settings for preference (and not necessarily follow DT's rec) and leave the LPF of LFE alone....
reading through this thread helps some, but I still get a little confused. I need more repetition of the same advice put in different ways for it to start really sinking in.

setup assistant on my denon sees the 55's as large, and crosses the subs over at 80 hz. I manually changed the 55's to small and set the crossover at 60 hz. I can't manually adjust the lfe setting below 80 hz for the subs, which is why i was asking about using the built in crossover on the sub itself. my goal is to match the crossover point between the 2, but is that really critical?

suppose setting my mains at 80 hz would achieve that goal, take a little more stress off my avr and probably wouldn't be that audible of a difference, though the 55's really do play surprisingly low for their size.

I've read a few comments on here about deftech's questionable specs and understand the skepticism. fudged numbers or not, I still think they make a good sounding speaker and was impressed with the 55's when I demoed them in best buy's magnolia room. they're solidly built too. I got a set for a smoking deal on ebay. 275 for the pair.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
reading through this thread helps some, but I still get a little confused. I need more repetition of the same advice put in different ways for it to start really sinking in.

setup assistant on my denon sees the 55's as large, and crosses the subs over at 80 hz. I manually changed the 55's to small and set the crossover at 60 hz. I can't manually adjust the lfe setting below 80 hz for the subs, which is why i was asking about using the built in crossover on the sub itself. my goal is to match the crossover point between the 2, but is that really critical?

suppose setting my mains at 80 hz would achieve that goal, take a little more stress off my avr and probably wouldn't be that audible of a difference, though the 55's really do play surprisingly low for their size.

I've read a few comments on here about deftech's questionable specs and understand the skepticism. fudged numbers or not, I still think they make a good sounding speaker and was impressed with the 55's when I demoed them in best buy's magnolia room. they're solidly built too. I got a set for a smoking deal on ebay. 275 for the pair.
Don't know how Denon's "setup assistant" functions. Might assume that it still takes an f3 of 40hz and recommends large at that point as do Denon avrs with Audyssey. With a sub I simply set to small, despire the avr recommendation. Why are you changing the LPF of LFE at all? Are you having localization issues with LFE content? Why would you want to match the LPF of LFE to crossover?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
clearly, I'm not phraising my question correctly.

My main speakers play 60 hertz and above.

My subwoofers play 80 Hertz and below.

My receiver will not go below 80 Hertz for the subwoofer crossover point. Am I going about this wrong? I'm mainly talking about listening to music in stereo. 2.1. I'm very happy with the 5.1 for movies and such.

Is it best to have them both crossed over at the same point (mains and subwoofers)?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
clearly, I'm not phraising my question correctly.

My main speakers play 60 hertz and above.

My subwoofers play 80 Hertz and below.

My receiver will not go below 80 Hertz for the subwoofer crossover point. Am I going about this wrong? I'm mainly talking about listening to music in stereo. 2.1. I'm very happy with the 5.1 for movies and such.

Is it best to have them both crossed over at the same point (mains and subwoofers)?
What avr do you have?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
denon avr s510bt
Looking at your manual I can see there's settings of the crossover of the speaker to sub on page 87 (pdf manual), the LPF of LFE is discussed on page 88. The LPF of LFE cannot be set below 80, this is not a crossover.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Looking at your manual I can see there's settings of the crossover of the speaker to sub on page 87 (pdf manual), the LPF of LFE is discussed on page 88. The LPF of LFE cannot be set below 80, this is not a crossover.
okay. so lpf of lfe has nothing to do with 2.1 stereo for listening to music? strictly for 5.1?

does having my main speakers set to small, 60 hz mean that all signals below 60 hz are rolled off and sent to the subwoofer leaving the mains playing 60 and above in stereo, thus giving me exactly what I want?

if I understand that correctly now, I see why I wasn't being clear. lol. I appreciate your patience with me man. phew.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
okay. so lpf of lfe has nothing to do with 2.1 stereo for listening to music? strictly for 5.1?

does having my main speakers set to small, 60 hz mean that all signals below 60 hz are rolled off and sent to the subwoofer leaving the mains playing 60 and above in stereo, thus giving me exactly what I want? phew.

if I understand that correctly now, I see why I wasn't being clear. lol. I appreciate your patience with me man.
It only affects LFE content, which is the .1 channel in content that has such; a movie for example (some multichannel music uses this as well but not as standardized like a movie). Has nothing to do with your 2ch music mixed by your avr to 2.1.

Google images for "80 hz crossover" (because they're more numerous) and look at the graphs to visualize examples of how the rolloff works in each direction in a crossover. Why do you want a 60 hz crossover particularly?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis