Lexicon GX7 Vs JBL AVA7

Braddock

Braddock

Junior Audioholic
Just curious if anyone here has any knowledge or experience with these two amps. I know the JBL is a clone of the Lexicon and retails for $2900, but Ive seen them as low as $325 used and that just doesnt sit well with me. I found a JBL new for $999 and the GX7 new for $1700. I cant seem to find jack on the JBL anywhere online. Any thoughts?

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Same basic amplifiers...
Products were built/sourced from ATi..
Good sounding, reliable amplifiers.

Just my $0.02.. ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, ATI makes some amps for most companies in the USA, including Lexicon, JBL, & Mark Levinson.

Braddock

Braddock

Junior Audioholic
Im looking to move from all in one to seperates, but I dont wanna break the bank. I love audio, but not to the tune of anything over $6k or so. Im looking at the the Marantz AV7005/7025 pre-pro and I was considering the Marantz mm7055 amp, the Lexicon gx7 or the JBL AVA7. Ive really not known JBL to have higher end audio, you know what I mean, and Im wondering why, if theyre the same, is the JBL so much cheaper. Ive read side by side comparisons on rebadged gear and the comparisons were less than desirable.

Im looking to spend about $2500 on a pre-pro and power amp combo. I dont want the best, but I want something that will sound better than your run of the mill $300-800 A/V receiver. They sound OK for movies, but horrible for music sources. My girlfriend has a Krell/Theta Casanova setup with some B&W 804's and a Velodyne sub that sound great to me. I just want something better that will serve both purposes and satisfy my ears. Thanx!

Braddock

Braddock

Junior Audioholic
Im also considering now the Emotiva XPA5, seeing as their HQs are 2o minutes from me. From all the reviews Ive read on Emotiva, they seem to be a pretty good mid level comapany. But the fact that they make amps, speakers, prepros etc makes me wonder of their true quality.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Braddock

Braddock

Junior Audioholic
Thanx for the input there. As much as I would like to go with a trusted name like Theta, I have the good fortune of living right down the road (18 miles) from Emotiva's HQ and distribution house. With their 30 day money back guarentee, I cant go wrong with at least trying them first. Ive gotta start somewhere and build my way up. My GF has a spare Lexicon preamp that Im gonna use for referance and comparison when I get this amp. If I dont like it, Ill return it and try the Theta.

Braddock

Braddock

Junior Audioholic
After a lot of reading and research I have decided to start with the Emotiva. As much as I want the Theta, Im gonna wait until Ive tested the Emotiva. Living only 20 minutes from their HQs gives me an opportunity and the luxury of taking advantage of their great money back guarantee and perhaps building a rapport with their tech guys and sales folks. Plus, they also give discounts to military folks as well!!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis