Lexicon BD-30 Blu-ray Player (Oppo BDP-83 Clone) Review

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
I am surprised that no one has asked Dr. Ken Taraszka at Home Theater Review, how much, if anything, he paid for the Lexicon BD-30 about which he wrote such a positive review and which he decided to keep for his system. I would wager he was given "accommodation" pricing, which means substantially less than dealer cost. For Mr. Del Coliano and his staff, it is not just about the money they earn on advertising; it is also about the great pricing they get on whatever components they review and recommend. I would be interested in hearing his defense of the practice.
I see it as irrelevant if the reviewer gets stuff for free or accommodation pricing. I certainly do not care if they do. They are either honest, or not. They are either a fan boy, or not. I don't see where prohibiting these things will make a substantial difference. An intelligent reader can almost always determine a reviewer's biases, etc., based on his multiple reviews/writings. Specific patterns and/or behavior(s) always become obvious.

-Chris

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
What if part of their focus on R&D is to focus on what others are doing well and leverage it?
If this is the case then they will need to change part of their mission statement from:

Being at the leading edge of both the professional and consumer audio markets has led to an insight into the art of creating exquisite sound that is unmatched by any other brand.
To we will just take from everybody else and make no improvements except for casing modification and charge you 7 times the price for said casing, that will be more inline as to what they have done with BDP30. I am all for a company making profit that's fine, but don't say your at the leading edge and that your product is unmatched by any other brand when clearly you have done nothing to improve upon the Oppo except for the casing.

A

audiophilesavan

Audiophyte
I see it as irrelevant if the reviewer gets stuff for free or accommodation pricing.
The question is not whether you see it as irrelevant, but whether the reviewer sees (indeed, can see) it as irrelevant.

I don't see where prohibiting these things will make a substantial difference.
I did not advocate prohibiting it; I do, however, advocate disclosing it.

R

randyb

Full Audioholic
The question is not whether you see it as irrelevant, but whether the reviewer sees (indeed, can see) it as irrelevant.

I did not advocate prohibiting it; I do, however, advocate disclosing it.
I think almost all of the reviewers for major magazines get accomodation pricing for purchasing review units or in some cases probably units they don't review. I think you have to assume they do but I agree with Chris I don't think that is a big deal. What I do see as a big deal is if reviews are influenced or not published because of advertising. I also think it is a big deal if the reviewer gets a "permanent loan" of a reviewed item. (My guess would be so would the IRS...which makes me think that reviewers who receive accomodation prices for a reviewed item may have taxable income....hmm, I wonder how many report).

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Guys;

Just so you know, its usually an industry standard for manufacturers to offer reviewers accomodation pricing on equipment after they complete a review. Nobody wants to re-sell an open boxed item. Its up to the reviewer to decide if they want to make the purchase which is usually at dealer cost.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Guys;

Just so you know, its usually an industry standard for manufacturers to offer reviewers accomodation pricing on equipment after they complete a review.
Is that why you review all the good stuff and Tom reviews all the HTIB stuff? :D
There is injustice afoot !!! :eek:

---------------------

So who is this Doug Winsor guy and how many handles does he have and WHY ??? :confused:

P

PetPeeve

Audiophyte
Get no respect

"mechanical dampening?" Did you test how wet it gets?

majorloser

majorloser

Last Warning

Both a moderator and the owner of Audioholics have asked to keep this thread "on topic".

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Guys;

Just so you know, its usually an industry standard for manufacturers to offer reviewers accomodation pricing on equipment after they complete a review. Nobody wants to re-sell an open boxed item. Its up to the reviewer to decide if they want to make the purchase which is usually at dealer cost.
Aside from that, doing the reviews sounds like fun. Doubt if I've got the time or equipment to do them though.

nelamvr6

nelamvr6

Enthusiast
Aside from that, doing the reviews sounds like fun. Doubt if I've got the time or equipment to do them though.
I attempted a review of sorts just the other week, I didn't enjoy it at all!

I had just received my BDP-83SE from Oppo after having it upgraded, and so a few online buddies wanted a report on the improvement.

They also wanted to know about the sound quality compared to my CD player.

To me it was a lot of work. Personally I'd much rather just relax and listen to music than to try to pick apart the quality of reproduction, discern differences and then TRY to describe those differences in terms that others could understand.

I hope I don't have to go through it again any time soon.

I did gain a whole new respect for reviewers through the experience...

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
... Whether those changes are measurably and audiibly better is another story however :confused:
Good thing there are lots of empty pages in the book for that 'other story.' :D

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
I don't think accommodation pricing is the issue with the Lexicon/Oppo player "controversy". With that price, which is not anywhere near "free", usually comes a prohibition against reselling the item. Reviewers only have so much space for gear, just like us all, and they buy the stuff they lust after, just like us all. They don't have garages full of unused gear, and most stuff goes back to the manufacturer, in the end.

And, because it's their profession, they spend far more on gear, with their own money, discount or no discount, than most of their readers do. You can't be a reviewer if you don't care about hifi, and every one was once a lowly retail-paying consumer at some point in their lives.

I would be more concerned to learn of an association, like a contract to promote a company's wares in general, than to learn the reviewer bought something, at a discount or not. Just like us all, if a reviewer buys something, it's because he thinks it offers value.

Reviewers are no different than the rest of us, in that we all need to see value in a product before we pull out the wallet, discount or no discount. Compared to ordinary consumers, with a reviewer the bar would probably be even higher; they have better stuff than me.

As good as the Oppo/Lexicon is performance-wise, there's a good chance an established reviewer already owns something that's equal or better, or that they prefer for one reason or another.

If not, then they buy the unit and there's the new bar set. They won't then be buying every Blu-Ray player that someone sends to consider for review.

To get someone who is intimately familiar with the products offered in the market to pay out of his pocket, regardless of the discount, is a form of endorsement, not payola.

Nor is the audio press amongst the worst of the bunch; computer reviewers generally get to keep all software and most inexpensive hardware, at no cost whatsoever, and with no limits on reselling the loot. As do a number of other online reviewers. There is a current IRS investigation on the practice; and they're not going after serious audio magazines; they're not the problem and the IRS knows it.

I think there are plenty of issues regarding the Oppo/Lexicon topic without worrying about whether someone got a discount, the same discount he, and any reviewer, can get from any other product for personal use only. That's a level playing field.

A

audiophilesavan

Audiophyte
Is they any update on whether or when Lexicon will provide a response to the Audioholics review?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Is they any update on whether or when Lexicon will provide a response to the Audioholics review?

...../\....../\..../\.................................................................................

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You think Mark Levinson, McIntosh, Bryston, Krell, and other high-end companies will also rebadge the Oppo BD?

Every single Oppo BD owner should have a huge grin on his/her face like this:D.

Pretty soon Mark Levinson, McIntosh, Bryston, Krell, and other high-end companies will all rebadge Emotiva pre-pros and amps.:D

G

gsuen

Enthusiast
M

mitch57

Audioholic
So.... I guess Lexicon is waiting for all the bad publicity to stop. I suppose they think it will just go away if they remain silent long enough.

What say you?:rolleyes:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis