Levels of Ceiling Quality: Speakercraft & Boston

M

maddog-99

Audiophyte
Ok Audiophiles I need your help.
Im going to be doing some in ceiling installs in my new home with a 18x16 living room & 9 foot ceilings.

After everyones advice, Im focussing on Speakercraft Aim8's so I can properly pivot them (and have proper woofer & tweeters).

Today I have Boston HSi's in ceiling to let you know the level of audio Im used to.

And before you start: No, I HAVE to do in ceiling, and YES it kills me a little inside, but Im over it.

Where I need help:

1. Speakercraft: Can anyone confirm if there is a noticeable difference in sound from the different tiers of Aim8's? ie: the Ones, Threes & Fives. I am targeting Threes, but are the Fives noticeably better?

2. Wides: Anyone have experience with SpeakerCraft wides? The concept is intriguing, ie: dispersing sound better from on high. Please comment.

3. Boston: Ive been an HSi guy as stated. Is there an appreciable difference going to the VSi level of product for in ceiling?

4. Cheapos: OR, am I overthinking this whole thing & I should just to with Monoprice or HTD. Would I be able to tell the difference in audio from the others? (Im thinking yes, but want opinions).

All help is appreciated, Thank you!

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
Welcome to the forum!
I upgraded from cheap DefTec to premium Niles HD's for my 9' high family room in ceilings a while back. Do they sound better? Yeah, as long as you're in a very small sweet spot. Bottom line is, it's still an in ceiling speaker without enough room below it to create any sort of balanced soundstage.
in walls are a better option for either ht or whole home audio IMO and still not great.
For home theater, the speakers have to be pointed at your LP with the tweeters aimed at your ears more or less requiring a very specific distance for the height that they're mounted relative to your seated LP.
much easier to do in-walls ( second worse option) which will give you better all around sound for background music as well.
So don't don't spend too much on in ceiling speakers as the ROI is very limited IMO.
good luck with a less than optimal situation.
Cheers, Mac

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
If I had to go in-ceiling, I would go with the Boston VSi series - due to them
nice close-out prices at AC4L. You can aim the tweeter in the VSi series. I
also like the wave-guide around the tweeters.

I will take a better in-ceiling speaker over some cheaper nasal and congested
sounding, in-ceiling speakers.

There are limitations with in-ceiling speakers - However, I would want the best
that I can get with-in reason.

From the non in-ceiling speakers that I have owned from Boston, their high-end
ones do make a difference.

From the bookshelf speakers that I have owned and auditioned with SpeakerCraft,
I was not real impressed.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
4. Cheapos: OR, am I overthinking this whole thing & I should just to with Monoprice or HTD. Would I be able to tell the difference in audio from the others? (Im thinking yes, but want opinions).

All help is appreciated, Thank you!
I'll start by saying that I know next to nothing about in ceiling speakers except that the Monoprice ones sound pretty good for the price. I've heard them myself and more importantly, BMXTRIX put them all over his house.

Yes, all Monoprice speakers in-walls/ceilings.
There's also this:

In ceiling speakers are terrible if sound quality matters at all. Keep in mind if there are bedrooms above the family room, then those rooms will be filled with audio after people are asleep. At the very least, in-wall speakers instead of in-ceiling speakers for the front left, right, and center speakers would be a good decision if it is open to discussion.

Frankly, if there is no 'open discussion', then you will have to live with whatever you stick in the ceiling, good or bad, so you should shoot for the best speakers your budget allows, and understand there will be a huge compromise on audio quality.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis