Legacy Foundation Subwoofer Preview

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Legacy Audio's new 'Foundation' subwoofer packs a huge punch in a small footprint. Two active 12" long-throw woofers backed by 1,000 watts of amplification and coupled to two 12" passive radiators with an enormous 4" peak-to-peak travel are packed in a cabinet that only uses 1.5 square feet of floor space. The aptly-named 'Foundation' subwoofer can serve as a bedrock for your sound system, but so much power in such a small package should come with a warning that if it is pushed hard enough, it may create cracks in the foundation of any structure it is used in.

Proceed with caution!

Read: Legacy Foundation Subwoofer Preview

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Well, it certainly is pretty. The Foundation doesn't seem like it would work for me though, because I need PEQ zones to have it work in my room and my system. Three PEQs is the minimum, five would be better. I checked the Legacy site, and no mention of them. Did I just miss it?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, it certainly is pretty. The Foundation doesn't seem like it would work for me though, because I need PEQ zones to have it work in my room and my system. Three PEQs is the minimum, five would be better. I checked the Legacy site, and no mention of them. Did I just miss it?
It indicates it has a single EQ centered at 45hz....
"One unusual feature on the Foundation is the ‘Blend EQ’ control, which can boost or lower the band centered around 45 Hz by 12 dB. This is like an EQ at a fixed frequency and Legacy chose this frequency to “match the first cancellation node of most rooms”, in their words."

Seems pretty expensive for what it is, would love to see Josh R test it....

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
"One unusual feature on the Foundation is the ‘Blend EQ’ control, which can boost or lower the band centered around 45 Hz by 12 dB. This is like an EQ at a fixed frequency and Legacy chose this frequency to “match the first cancellation node of most rooms”, in their words."

The price isn't low, but if you want custom veneers and top quality sold through a dealer this is the price class I'd expect. I'd also expect a discount, which ID sellers almost never do.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The price isn't low, but if you want custom veneers and top quality sold through a dealer this is the price class I'd expect. I'd also expect a discount, which ID sellers almost never do.
ID guys don't come up with artificially high MSRP just in case some salesman can get someone to pay it is the way I look at it :) Much rather just have a price to be had by all without some silly negotiation. The ID sellers do offer discounts for multiple subs. The small footprint is partially why the price gets justified as well as the wanting to buy stuff at a B&M (which isn't even an option for subs generally IMO due to lack of choices on hand).

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Perhaps, but with big heavy things I prefer to see them and use them first, and have a dealer deliver and unpack it. I buy ID a lot, but with a 120lb+ sub I had to look and touch (and hear), and I did like having two young guys haul it around in my house.

K

kini

Full Audioholic

Seems on par with a similarly priced sub from Funk Audio, if the performance lives up to the specs. It certainly has the looks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Seems on par with a similarly priced sub from Funk Audio, if the performance lives up to the specs. It certainly has the looks.
Which Funk sub are you comparing it to?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry don't see it.
The 18.0.

The Legacy is much better looking, if that counts. Of the two, I'd prefer the 18.0, but I'm allowed to run wild without regard to appearance. On the other hand, build quality is very important to me, including the electronics. The progress the sub industry has made in the past five years has amazed me, in the $2K-5K range.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The 18.0.

The Legacy is much better looking, if that counts. Of the two, I'd prefer the 18.0, but I'm allowed to run wild without regard to appearance. On the other hand, build quality is very important to me, including the electronics. The progress the sub industry has made in the past five years has amazed me, in the $2K-5K range.
$700 less so wasn't really looking at that but seems to me the Funk outclasses the Legacy in pretty much every respect anyways. I think the Funk looks better myself, especially when you pop for some of the more interesting veneers if you're into that sort of thing. I'd like to see the Legacy test to see if it can do what the 18.0 does, though.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
$700 less so wasn't really looking at that but seems to me the Funk outclasses the Legacy in pretty much every respect anyways. I think the Funk looks better myself, especially when you pop for some of the more interesting veneers if you're into that sort of thing. I'd like to see the Legacy test to see if it can do what the 18.0 does, though.
No, the Funk has add-ons, like a grill, and proper corner finishing, that bump the price and the Legacy will be discounted... and no one spending $4K on a sub quibbles over a couple of hundred dollars.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No, the Funk has add-ons, like a grill, and proper corner finishing, that bump the price and the Legacy will be discounted... and no one spending $4K on a sub quibbles over a couple of hundred dollars.
Proper corner finishing like the Legacy doesn't have? I'm not concerned with the furniture aspect in any case. The amp/dsp and driver look to be superior pieces in the Funk and with their cabinetry expertise I think it surpasses Legacy there as well. If you want a small footprint sub and want to spend an enormous amount of money, the Legacy may fit your criteria. I'm not impressed.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Got it. I'm having a discussion with someone who isn't in this market. Done.

[BTW, like I said, I like the Funk better too.]
You assume correctly that I'm not about to buy a sub, make my own.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis