Lcd future technology?

T

trabadoor22

Enthusiast
I am thinking about getting a new tv and was looking at plasma and lcd tv's. I liked the sharpness of the lcd's, but I'm not sure if could get past the motion problems, which I see even in the 120 hz models. Is there any indication that the lcd manufacturers will raise the hz up even further in the future? Thanks.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Plasma?;) KURO lcd comming soon, but no word on 120hz just blacks;)

itschris

itschris

Pioneer Elite Kuro's seem to be the leader in plasmas... I haven't much about anyone disputing that. The only issues are that some folks still think the downside to plasmas still outweigh the benefits. I think how you use the TV determine if that will ultimately be true or not. As far as LCD goes, the higher end sets seem to be putting out really nice pictures these days. I was at a BB Magnolia store this past weekend just checking oiut some of the displays and I didn't really notice a lot of the typicaly artifacts that you used to see with LCD's. Granted, I wasn't really sitting there auditioning the sets, but they sure looked good from just casual viewing.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I personally don't really see motion artifacts with current LCDs. I had a Toshiba 52LX177 for a few weeks (returned it for other minor issues just to be safe) and I honestly couldn't tell any difference between 120 Hz processing on or off. I've got the current Tosh 52XF550 on the way and I'm sure it will be no different.

If you see a lot of motion artifacts with current LCD technology you must be super sensitive to the slightest anomaly in picture quality. Thankfully, I am just not that critical and I think LCD technology has reached a point where motion artifacts are a thing of the past - regardless of whether it uses 120 Hz frame interpolation or not.

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
Funny. I'm really not the most sensitive person about picture quality but I always seem to end up paying for quality. Kuro is definitely the best, but I couldn't because TV is in my bedroom and will be in the living room pretty soon; which will surely have its share of ambient light --> reflections.

Funny too that plasma worshipers mention black levels being so much superior than LCD. I don't know about you but I too look at details in darker areas while auditioning a set but I also look at what the screen looks like when there is a "blank signal". I swear to god I've seen some Pioneer, Panasonic and Samsung plasma tvs being SOOO gray! Seller told me that it had to do with the mix of gaz they are using. But then I went somewhere else, in a black showrooms (lights dimmed) and I saw a PZ800! Holy moly! THAT's black! LCDs are really closing the gap though.

I thought my tv had great blacks when it came out 2 years ago :rolleyes:

All in all, as ears with speakers, your eyes quickly gets accustomed to a picture. But if you're not able to look at the picture because of reflections then you're in trouble.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Blacks are tuff, especially in certian light and when the display has not been setup properly. Not only the black color spec, but the detail and depth. IMO the motion issues will be overcome.

T

trabadoor22

Enthusiast
Thank you for your replies. I think I am over sensitive to it because I was looking for it. I don't know if it would be an issue while watching tv normally without analyzing it. I am strongly considering the Samsung Ln46 650 or the Sony 46w4100, but leaning towards the Samsung.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis