Large screen outdoor viewing needs sound.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
I think my original post was overlooked as it was in with the projectors and such so here goes.
I set up outside for away games and movie nights to watch on an 8 x 12 screen I have 4 JBL movie theater speakers that sound awesome , I usually set up my (back up) pioneer receiver it is 1 of 2 that I used to have , sold 1 off way back but held on to this 1 just in case. I plug the HD converter box into this receiver and also the oppo blu ray player both via optical , then on to the 4 speakers front left and right thru speaker switch A - and back front and left thru switch speaker switch - B . all is good except this stuff is getting way to heavy for a maximum set up at 12 times per year especially the pioneer. I would like something that would offer excellent sound with decent power that is in the lightweight series if such a beast exists , not really portable but at least at lot lighter for easy set ups , someday the set up will be a permanent fixture in the garage with all needed hookups running outside and under ground to all the proper locations but for now it gets set up early afternoon and taken down right after. Thanks for your thoughts and have a great Saturday.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
"Excellent" sound outdoors might not be the easiest thing to accomplish. How about some portable pro/DJ gear where the speakers mount on tripods?

Last edited:
sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
"Excellent" sound outdoors might not be the easiest thing to accomplish. How about some portable pro/DJ gear where the speakers mount on tripods?
I think I have the speakers covered Mark what I really need is something to power them up and deliver decent sound , a lightweight piece of equipment that won't break the bank. I think it is too cumbersome and bulky to bring out a large receiver like my pioneer 1015 , I have a cart that I place the projector on then the receiver on the middle shelf with the HD converter box and the occasional blu ray player those two pieces of equipment are very lightweight and easy to handle but the receiver is just too damn heavy so what can I use to take the place of the Pioneer to deliver the sound to my speakers.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Not directed to you Mark but seriously , I remember when a newb would post here and get impatient waiting for an answer and start another thread and bump his question to the top , then out of nowhere he gets a reply but only to be reprimanded for starting another thread , well it is no wonder why the place is slow , yeah sure I have an idea what to do for on the spot sound and easy install but I am sharing with the forum to get some feedback but nothing , not even crickets. I guess the boring thread really is the only happening place here, some forums start a tavern thread we should do that as well, I am sure that would get some reply too, now to ice my beer for the day , Happy Labor Day and that's so I don't start another thread..

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I honestly think that power requires a certain amount of bulk, and weight.

As far as that goes, a couple of QSC power amps might be a little more powerful and yet lighter than your receiver but that still leaves the issue of the pre/pro. You're still talking about a standalone pre/pro then.

honestly, considering that, I think that lug of a receiver might wind up being your best bet. I'm sure there are smaller, lighter ones out there (http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marnr1403/marantz-nr1403-slimline-5.1-av-receiver/1.html ) but will they have the nutz to drive your speakers to acceptable levels outside is the question.

I'm not even talking the projector, sources or, HD converter here.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Did someone say "Tavern"?:D

Sup Sawz!

Have you searched pro audio? Light weight, portable and powerful is what pro audio is all about but I'm just not that familiar with it...

Yes, this place is real slow...

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
...And the regulars shine through . as always , Thanks Guys. I will consider all options , sadly some of the light weight applications lack gumption to belt out sound , some of these^ look better than what I have been finding.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
One other thought: If you can forgo multi-channel sound and live with old-fashioned two channels, and your source has analog audio outputs, you can get by with a simple power amp instead of a receiver.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
...And the regulars shine through . as always , Thanks Guys. I will consider all options , sadly some of the light weight applications lack gumption to belt out sound , some of these^ look better than what I have been finding.
I was gonna get that Marantz, but money got tight. I'd still get one. That price is a steal.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis