Large room help - thank you!

B

Blackhawks

Audiophyte
I am new to this and really need some advice. I am building a new home and will be placing my home theater in our basement. The open area will be 20’ x 40’, with 9’ ceilings. We use the HT for primarily sports, but also movies, minimally music. The projector is an Epson 5020e.

I would like the sound system to really be loud but clear. (In my mind, kind of like a higher-end sports bar).

My current system:
A/V Receiver Onkyo TX-NR809
JBL S412p front speakers
JBL S36 surrounds
JBL S center speaker
Klipsch Synergy SUB-10

I have read in this forum that speakers are usually the more critical element. So have been considering more efficient / better speakers and/or an Emotiva XPA-3. Which option is better? If new speakers are, do you have any recommendations? Is there something else I should be doing? (I am kind of lost). I would be willing to spend up to $4,000. (maybe $5,000 if the extra made a huge difference)

Thank you!

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
For an HTm y favorite speakers are the cmt340 front end
Audiophile Loudspeakers and Subwoofers for Home Theater and Music - Ascend Acoustics, renowned speakers,subs,audio
you can do 340 fronts for around $900 for all 3...
then for surrounds fluance surrounds Amazon.com: Fluance XLBP Wide Dispersion Bipolar Surround Sound Speakers for Home Theater: Electronics

Then the more important item the subwoofers, a room that size I would go dual vtf 15's VTF-15H DualDrive Package

then for electronics, the ascends are easy to power, I power mine with an emo xpa5 but that is because I hate avr's, lol... but any decent avr will get the job done they are efficient... I would look into denon, pioneer, marantz, ect when the time comes since the models and prices change often...

I have a large room and use 340's for my front sound stage, they can easily overpower the room, I like them for HT, they are all business, not much went into fancy veneers or finishes, but the speakers are great quality and a very nice overall sound package...

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The JBL Studio 590 towers have good sensitivity - and their smooth and refined
bi-radial horns, will play loud and cover a lot of area - with good detail, definition
and dynamics. > As a bonus, their measurements are good. And also, they are
real good for music.
Studio 590 | 250-watt, dual 8" (200mm) floorstanding loudspeaker with two classic JBL bass drivers and a horn-loaded high-frequency compression driver | JBL US

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DLlj23QiYw

The 520 center was designed to play with the 590 towers, and will handle power.
http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/products/Studio-520C/STUDIO 520C_JBL_US

If you have some vertical space - the 570 tower is an option for center channel.

I consider the present Studio series to be a nice step up, from your old Studio series.

Power Sound Audio, is a good option for a subwoofer.
http://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/power-x

Last edited:
B

Blackhawks

Audiophyte
I want to thank everyone for the responses to my question and the incredible information found on this forum.

BTW- I purchased the Tekton Pendragons, towers and center (using the JBL's for RC for now) and a Power Sound Audio XV30. Sounds well beyond my expectations!!

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
wow, very nice, were the tektons in stock? Can we get some pics of these beasts? I own a pair of lores, red, what color pens did you get?

B

Blackhawks

Audiophyte
Yes, Eric (the owner!) answered the phone and said he was just finishing up a pair, and had a center. Which, if all went perfect, he could maybe ship that day - turns out it was the next day, but from what I read, I was extremely lucky to have them available (black, just what I wanted). I will take pictures later in the week. (my new home isn't ready yet, so I am using my Mits 64, rather than my projector in our rental home). They are HUGE!

B

budbrande

Audioholic Intern
Word of advice on adding the Emotiva amplifier to your Onkyo AVR. You may find thet the preamp in the Onkyo will not be strong enough to drive the amplifier. When I upgraded my theater room I added a XPA-2 and XPA-3 and tried using my TX-NR906 to drive them. The Onkyo ran out of gas well before the amplifiers got anywhere close to their rated output. I ended up purchasing a dedicated preamp and moved the Onkyo to my family room. Just a thought.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
them tektons aren't goinng to need much power, I am powering my lores with a 40w tube amp and they will push you from our 400sq ft bedroom with ease... I heard a pair of pens powered by a 3 w amp and they sounded good...

C

Cobratron

Audioholic Intern
I am new to this and really need some advice. I am building a new home and will be placing my home theater in our basement. The open area will be 20’ x 40’, with 9’ ceilings. We use the HT for primarily sports, but also movies, minimally music. The projector is an Epson 5020e.

I would like the sound system to really be loud but clear. (In my mind, kind of like a higher-end sports bar).

My current system:
A/V Receiver Onkyo TX-NR809
JBL S412p front speakers
JBL S36 surrounds
JBL S center speaker
Klipsch Synergy SUB-10

I have read in this forum that speakers are usually the more critical element. So have been considering more efficient / better speakers and/or an Emotiva XPA-3. Which option is better? If new speakers are, do you have any recommendations? Is there something else I should be doing? (I am kind of lost). I would be willing to spend up to $4,000. (maybe $5,000 if the extra made a huge difference)

Thank you!

I was in the same boat as. Imcloud gives spot on advice. I would say get the emo xpa5 and a large subwoofer such as the SVS pc13 ultra. Good luck

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis