Large open room layout Which option ??

B

Bahtman

Junior Audioholic
Attached you will see an elevation drw'g showing, well the elevation
and option one on proposed layout.
Audio elev.  UP.jpg

I thought building an interior, free standing wall, would utilize the open space more efficiently with the ability provide better sound throughout the room and the ability to see the TV from many areas.
I would can use a 7-1 (2) set up but no rears as shown.
Audio plan UP.jpg

Option 2.
Swing the whole setup to the left wall, same 7.1 (2) but no side surrounds and the abitity to use rear speakers.
This limits viewing area and full room sound. It also leaves a lot of open area, and I'm not planning to fill it with new furniture.
Audio Plan Up 2.jpg

Wiring is not an issue in either option.

Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated, as a decision must be made soon.

B

Bahtman

Junior Audioholic
No body have any opinions here?
Anyone?

Thanks

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Is there any chance you could wire up 2.1 sound and listen to both scenarios before you commit to building a wall and so on? The problem with scenario 1 is I think you'll lose some room reflections, or maybe get some weird ones where your right channel will echo before the left and cause some imaging issues. Scenario 2 might sound better, and you might change your mind about the furniture thing -- maybe put a small bistro set between the living room and kitchen to use as a breakfast nook or something. But then if your patio doors are directly opposite the TV, you might have a problem with sunlight.

You might also consider catty-cornering your TV / fronts in the northwest corner (assuming up is north). It might sound better, would allow kitchen viewing, and use more space for a good cause all at the same time. See this essay for an explanation of the logic behind this idea.

Really, if you could just hook up at least 2.1 and audition your layout choices, that'll allow you to make the most informed decision.

Last edited:
B

Bahtman

Junior Audioholic
I don't have the new gear yet, but the Ms. has an old set of speakers with internal amp.

I may just take your advice and take them to the jobsite tomorrow, but they would be played in a totally empty concrete room. No doors, windows, etc.
The builders would look at me like I'm crazy, more than they already do.
They just don't understand western/modern ways.

Kitchen has been reocated to the left side of the house and the rear wall ends at the back side of the kitchen, 27' from the sound stage.

With the center location, I'll have no rear light reflections, I can get a totally symetrical speaker layout, but with no rears.

Left wall would eliminate side surrounds but would give me HIGH rears (got a door there) and light reflection as it faces south west.

You've seen the ceiling elevation, topping out at about 17'
I was planning on dropping some insulation above the drywall for acoustics mainly, not a/c. Do you believe it's necessary?

Not sure where I'll go from here. Try the existing speakers, but in a naked room, may tell me nothing.

I read your essay.......imaging problems? I guess I was never that particular in the past, but a very informative read.

Thank's for the time

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Sounds like a warehouse. :) Are you going to install carpet or do you have your eye on an area rug? Have you thought about treatments -- drapes, fabric wall art, house plants, bookshelves, etc?

Taking a pair of monitors and a music source might tell you nothing, but it might also demonstrate the benefits of the diagonal thing. You can even act like it was your idea and teach your contractors something about audiophile imaging. Crazy American.

Re: treating the ceiling, I'm not sure that's necessary, as vertical off-axis response of speakers generally isn't considered a thing. Height reflections probably won't matter much if your ears are at the same level as your mains. But I have no real experience in such matters -- only what little I've read; so I sincerely hope someone more knowledgeable peeks in and cleans up my mess.

What I had in mind was something like this:

B

Bahtman

Junior Audioholic
QUOTE=rojo;1024898]Sounds like a warehouse. :) Are you going to install carpet or do you have your eye on an area rug? Have you thought about treatments -- drapes, fabric wall art, house plants, bookshelves, etc?

Indeed, and the warehouse effect is something I'm wanting to avoid.
The front glass wall will all be draped from about 12' up, down to the floor.
Their is no carpet available here, but area rugs will be used as well as bookshelves, plants and other various pieces of furniture.

Taking a pair of monitors and a music source might tell you nothing, but it might also demonstrate the benefits of the diagonal thing. You can even act like it was your idea and teach your contractors something about audiophile imaging. Crazy American.

Yea, possible, in a way. It's still a construction site with block and sand piled everwhere, inside.

Imaging? They'd have no idea what I'm talking about and I'm sure there's no Thai word for that either. They play their music from their phone into a pair of small cubes. In the big cities like BKK I'm sure their more advanced but I'm here in the NE "jungle".

Re: treating the ceiling, I'm not sure that's necessary, as vertical off-axis response of speakers generally isn't considered a thing. Height reflections probably won't matter much if your ears are at the same level as your mains. But I have no real experience in such matters -- only what little I've read; so I sincerely hope someone more knowledgeable peeks in and cleans up my mess.

What I had in mind was something like this:

[/QUOTE]

I've got a better idea of what your talking about now and have read more on imaging.

Prior to opening your message I made up some new plans as I''ve moved the kitchen to the other side and made room changes.
It probably wont do anything to change your plan but I'll attach just the same.

Audio plan UP.jpg
Elev.  wides.jpg
Elev. highs.jpg

Not sure about this layout as the imaging will probably be the same, but I want to think about highs over the mains vs wides,at 9-10 feet high.

Using wides will shrink my front wall considerably but the spread at 21 -22 feet, on the same wall as the surrounds, may not work.

Thanks again for the time and advise..

Mike

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis