Klipsch Synergy F2 vs Polk RTi8 - similar speakers?

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
They both have dual 6.5 drivers, heck they even look similar. My local Best Buy has a whole bunch of the Klipsch, and I heard them in the store. They sound pretty good. The RTi8s are of course more expensive, and I had owned them before and liked them but they were ddefective (I think there was a bad batch when I bought mine).

If they are very similar sound-wise, imaging, construction etc, the Klipsch is my choice, plus I think it looks better, though they are both slim towers. If not, I'll try the Polks again. Any advice would be appreciated.

E

Estephens13

Enthusiast
I like the Polks,my mains are RTI12s they do have a somewhat brite tweeter that i perfer.

T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
I won't comment regarding the sound, but I've owned the Polk RTi8 and Klipsch RF-35 speakers.

The Polk RTi8 speakers are built better than the Klipsch Synergy speakers that you're looking at. The Polk cabinets have *much* better bracing and, if you get the cherry version, the finish is wonderful with the real wood veneer.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Estephens13 said:
I like the Polks,my mains are RTI12s they do have a somewhat brite tweeter that i perfer.
This has been mentioned in several posts about the Polk Rti tweeter being a bit bright. I, however, have not found this to be true. The brightest speakers I have heard bar none have been the Klipsch speakers and the horn tweeters. Not implying you are wrong just an observation I have made for myself. Also, have never heard the Rti10 or the Rti12 BUT have the Rti8. Could it be there is a difference in the Tweeters due to differing X-over frequencies with respect to the high pass band????:) :) :)

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
There couldn't be two different sets of towers on the market today. The highs are totally different, as is the bass. The efficiency varies like night and day as well. I would need to know what you are using to power the speakers, the size of the room, listening habits, and musical taste.

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
Buckeyefan 1 said:
There couldn't be two different sets of towers on the market today. The highs are totally different, as is the bass. The efficiency varies like night and day as well. I would need to know what you are using to power the speakers, the size of the room, listening habits, and musical taste.
Mainly for movies. Once in a while, I listen to trance and metal. Using a 1015tx

The room is a open concept room with 2 walls and 2 half walls. It's about 12 feet x 16 feet.

FUHNAHTIK

FUHNAHTIK

Audiophyte
Go with the Klipsch, you won't be disappointed. Movie theatres all over the country are not : )

V

Vynilforlife

Audioholic Intern
Klipsch are good speakers, the synergy line is not. Those are total crap. The 35 series is much better. I would go with the BIC acoustechs if you wanted to stay pretty cheap.

T

tdamocles

Junior Audioholic
If you like the the klipsch and they sound good to you and are cheaper, get'em.....

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
Bluesmoke said:
They both have dual 6.5 drivers, heck they even look similar. My local Best Buy has a whole bunch of the Klipsch, and I heard them in the store. They sound pretty good. The RTi8s are of course more expensive, and I had owned them before and liked them but they were ddefective (I think there was a bad batch when I bought mine).

If they are very similar sound-wise, imaging, construction etc, the Klipsch is my choice, plus I think it looks better, though they are both slim towers. If not, I'll try the Polks again. Any advice would be appreciated.
Those speakers are as different as night & day. You should go to the klipsch website and do a zip code dealer search to audition the Reference line. They are a better built speaker:)

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
as you can see from my signature, I have Polks all around. I have always found them a tad bright. Those Klipsch speakers are even brighter. I would have headaches from them. Those horn tweeters are tinny. The Polks are detailed, for sure, jut eq the high frequencies down a tad.

Have you considered Axiom? They would be what I would get now if I could do it over again.

JC

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis