B

bobofgold

Audiophyte
I'm using an Onkyo TX-SR608 and have a pair of Klipsch rf-52s. I'm looking to expand this in to a surround set up. Centre is an east choice at the rc-52 but I'm torn between the rs-42's and rs-52's. My living areas is approx 16.5ft x 16.5ft but also has a seperate open plan kitchen adding maybe 6.5ft x 10ft. I've drawn a little ASCII diagram below which might help you understand... Listening area (L) is pretty much slap bang in the centre of the living area with rf-52's (F) at one wall. If the surrounds are positioned as shown (R) are the 42's going to be to underpowered with the smaller driver or should they be ok? I'd rather have the £200 towards my sub (BK Monolith DF) if possible.

-------------------------------
|..........................F...TV...F...|
|..........................................|
|__________..........................|
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,|.........................|
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,|...............L........|
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,|.......R .........R.....|

M

maxx103

Audioholic Intern
hey

im no master at this just lending my opinion but ive heard that instead of getting what you hope will work get what you know will work and wait a little bit for the sub. if i was you i would get the 52s their only 100 more each which can be a large difference. That being said if your watching alot of movies then you need rears first (52s) but if you use this for music i would get the sub. i hope some other pro here will help because this is a valid question. hope i helped.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'm using an Onkyo TX-SR608 and have a pair of Klipsch rf-52s. I'm looking to expand this in to a surround set up. Centre is an east choice at the rc-52 but I'm torn between the rs-42's and rs-52's. My living areas is approx 16.5ft x 16.5ft but also has a seperate open plan kitchen adding maybe 6.5ft x 10ft. I've drawn a little ASCII diagram below which might help you understand... Listening area (L) is pretty much slap bang in the centre of the living area with rf-52's (F) at one wall. If the surrounds are positioned as shown (R) are the 42's going to be to underpowered with the smaller driver or should they be ok? I'd rather have the £200 towards my sub (BK Monolith DF) if possible.

-------------------------------
|..........................F...TV...F...|
|__________..........................|
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,|...............L........|
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,|.......R .........R.....|
If these are just surrounds it almost doesn't matter what you use since low effects are sent to the LFE channel anyway. So cheap out on surrounds and get the best sub you can. The sub is a fundamental piece of a great system.

N

nutshellml

Enthusiast
Can i jump in... I have the Onkyo 607, and was planning on getting the Klipsch RF-42 II (floorstandings) RC-42 II (center channel), I have energy takes for the surrounds and the engery EC10 subwoofer.

Do you think that my Onkyo has enough juice to power my speakers that i plan to buy? I'm not 100% on how to calculate the watts to make sure i don't overheat my receiver. Any help is appreciated...

bobofgold - how do you like your RF52s????

Thanks!!

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
I 2nd what lsiberian said.

Your diagram shows your surround right and left back where the surround rears would be in a 7.x system. I'd take a look at moving your surround R & L to the side walls, a bit behind your listening position.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis