Klipsch RVX-42--Thoughts?

S

SRHookEm

Enthusiast
I am considering the Klipsch RVX-42 LCR for placement on either side and above my plasma. I will add the Klipsch 10 or 12 sub and the RS-42's as surround.

I'm having a hard time finding owners of the RVX-42's. If anyone owns them, I'd like your thoughts. If you decided against them, I'd like to know that too.

We love music--from Rock to Opera--and we're BIG into movies. We currently have 600 DVD's controlled by an Escient DVD-M100 and two Sony changers. I can't move the TV and I really don't like the look of clunky bookshelf speakers hanging on the wall. No room for floorstanding either. If the reference bookshelf speakers just blow the RVX-42's away, I'll consider them. But the WAF would take a huge hit.... ;)

Here's a pano of the room:

Last edited:
S

SRHookEm

Enthusiast
One other thought here: how do the RVX-42's sound if placed close to a side wall?

I will have the L/R speakers at the front of the TV console, not recessed behind. The center will be above the TV, flush with the front of the panel.

In the photo, the TV looks recessed back more than it actually is. We have it moved more forward on the console table. However, there is a wall of windows that will be close to one side as shown. We do have a sheer curtain hanging at about the first reflection point. Will that help or hurt?

Should we place the RVX-42 L/R up high at the junction boxes and the center above the plasma and let the receiver's calibration do it's thing? I know that it's not the best situation but if the imaging and sound would be much better than the narrow area around the TV, I'd consider that.

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
Wow, tough room. You might want to consult with a pro.

A sheer curtain is transparent to sound, so will not matter.

"If the reference bookshelf speakers just blow the RVX-42's away" - your best bet here would be to find a dealer with both, and listen to them. For bookshelves, I like/own the RB-61's because they are front ported & easier to mount on the wall than the smaller Klipsch bookshelves which are rear ported. You give up a lot going with a "designer" speaker. The RXV-42's -3db point is 92hz, the RB-61's is 43hz, and it's stretching it to try & make up that difference with a sub. Listen to both, & see if you're willing to give up the lack of mid-bass.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis