S

squale

Audiophyte
Hey all, new to the forum and i'm searching with no success at all to find a rating on a pair of Klipsch Chorus speakers manufactured in 1985. Normally i wouldn't bother with something so aged but i got them from my grandfather who passed away recently and i'm looking to find an amplifier to use them but i'm not sure of what size of amplifier/reciever to get.

The majority of amps i'm finding are rated for 200W and under although i am coming across some very high-end stand alone amps up to 1100W.

I'm fairly well versed in car audio and to me a 200W amp seems small for a loudspeaker but i just don't know enough about home audio to really say for sure so if anyone has and advice or pointers it would be greatly appreciated

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
Very efficient speaker - not much power needed to drive- check out klipsch website (select discontinued)for full specs. Fifty to 100 watts ought to make them scream:0, although you could throw more at them, assuming they're in good condition.
Cheers, Mac

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
First of all, my condolences.

Normally i wouldn't bother with something so aged...
I would advise you to give them a try. As Mac said, they are wicked sensitive compared to most speakers and won't require much to get them screaming loud. Since you're familiar with car audio, you must be familiar with the relation between amp power and spl. While power demands still go up exponentially for increasing spl, the high sensitivity (101db/w/m) gives you a huge head start in the power race, enough so that you likely will never feed them more than 20 watts or so (and that would be for the loudest, most bombastic levels you would listen at). So don't sweat the amp choice too much, almost anything will suffice.

Those are highly regarded by the old Klipsch farts, and for good reason. You may find yourself shocked and awed by their uninhibited dynamics and lack of distortion. They're fun speakers, for sure.

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
Sorry to hear about his passing. Might I recommend finding some of gramps favorite music and letting them play his tunes, what a way to experience your new speakers and remember him.

S

squale

Audiophyte
You guys are awesome, and i actually did get not only his old turntable which needs some repairs but a box of old records. I'm ordering the new head for the turntable and hopefully i can do just that.

Last question for this. I have a 55" led tv and these speakers look pretty decent beside it but i'm looking at surround sound systems. Is there any disadvantage to using a surround reciever vs a stereo only? the surround recievers all seem to have a stereo option on them

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
No disadvantage to using an AVR for two channel (in fact the AVR has some practical advantages such as bass management, if you use subs). As mentioned, power is not much of a concern. Yes, it will have features you won't use for two channel, but those are not functional disadvantages.

If you want to flesh out your system with more speakers, the discontinued Klipsch Academy is the center speaker that will match your Chorus. You can find those occasionally on the Klipsch forum. Alternately, you could use a Heresy as a center. (Surrounds don't matter as much, but you want the front three to sonically match as close as possible.)

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
Sorry about your Loss. Same thing here but my 90 year old Pop passed and left me a TT,Revox R2R recorder and boxs of LP and TT carts. He gave me his Cornwalls 20 years ago when He purchased his 3rd pair of Klipchorns. As you can see I use a AVR and it plays the Klipsch easy as most AVR do not produce what they claim in WPC.. your Klipsch don't need huge amps to hurt your ears. Call Bob Crites about replacing the networks (cross overs) it's about time to replace the "caps" in them. If you need help with the TT or any thing on the Klipsch PM me. I am retired and have owned several different Klipsch series for 40 years now. A SET tube amp with 10WPC will play the Chorus Really loud and clean. Read up on SET tube amps just for fun but I sold all my tube seperates years ago as I watch a lot of Blurays now and needed HDMI and HD decorders. I have had really good luck with middle to upper end Yamaha AVR over the years. Welcome to the forum :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis