anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Hello All,

Thought I would take a stab at brief review of the new Klipsch iFi which was designed to work with the iPod but has a computer input and second auxillary input for other devices.

Where do I begin to start. It blows away any other computer speaker I have heard. The satellites are the Klipsch RSX 3's from the Reference line and the sub was designed specifically for the iFi. It houses an 8" driver with a 120w Class D amp for the sub along with another 40w to the satellites for a total combined output of 200w.

The sub has NO BOOMINESS to it. Just tight clean bass with extension to 28hz. The satellites are open and spacious with a clean natural midrange,smooth highs, and smooth integration with the sub. Even 128kbs mp3's sound ok. Granted lossless and higher bitrates sound much better.

The RSX 3's are on there own pivoting stand with allen wrenches included in the base to make adjustments. There is a tiny RF remote which is a bit cheesy but does the trick and will let you change tracks and volume level. The docking station will charge your iPod but does not sync it with iTunes.

The only downside to the system is the price. It's 400.00 which is high. But boy does this thing sound good and smokes all the other Klipsch computer speakers and any of the Creative or Logitech systems out there. The system to be fair is probably more designed as a main stereo system for people who only listen from iPods. But works perfectly as a high end computer based system.

Keep in mind most store set ups dont let you here the system at its best. But with proper placement of the sats and sub you can achieve a beautifully integrated sound. I have isolated the sub from the floor using some racquet balls I cut in half which helped tighten things up even more.

Cheers

gellor

gellor

Full Audioholic
I'd seen a couple of reviews on this system...most places seem to give it pretty high marks.

Would you say that the quality of sound justifies the price? (just from the POV of its sound quality, not from its price compared to other ipod accessories)

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
For me I would say yes. I could see how it would be tough for some people to swallow the 400 price tag.

The big trigger puller where that satellites its using. These are the RSX 3's and sound very good especially for near field listening. They have a much fuller sound without the sub compared to all other computer speakers I have heard. This in my view is what helps with the smooth integration with the sub. The sats are not nearly as bright as some of the other full sized Klipsch speakers I have heard. The lean towards the smoother warm side of things.

I have sat here for most of the day doing some work and have never noticed the sub. It integrates that well. Which I have never heard from any other computer speaker.
The sub aims for accuracy in comparison to the likes of the larger subs I have seen with Creative, and Logitech systems. These subs tend to sound boomier and aim more for higher spl's instead of accuracy.

The iFi is more for music than video games and movies. It will do both. But accurate music reproduction is its main strength.

If most of your listening is done from an iPod then the iFi might be for you. Especially if good sound is important to you. Considering the price of some of the shelf systems out their I would think 400 is not that much. It will easilly hold its own if not beat most of the others.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis