C

ChrisRai

Enthusiast
Boston VR1-3/KLH speakers

EDIT: What do you guys think of the Boston Acoustics VR1-VR3 series? I'm looking at these, and they don't seem to be too bad.
--
I have some KLH 9250B floorstanding speakers. I got them for $150 at Best Buy, and they sounded great for the price. I started listening to different speakers in more high-end stores (Tweeter, Myer-Emco) and I started to think less of the KLH. We got a new receiver the other day, and the KLH speakers sound really nice now. Do you think spending money on better speakers ($400-700) would make that much of a difference for music? Thanks.

Last edited:
mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
ChrisRai said:
Do you think spending money on better speakers ($400-700) would make that much of a difference for music? Thanks.
.....that's a question only you can answer, and you're the one who will be dropping the cash....get out and listen to every speaker you can....stores, friend's houses, etc......

C

ChrisRai

Enthusiast
True, but I wanted to know people's opinions on KLH as well. What do you guys think of the Boston line?

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
ChrisRai said:
True, but I wanted to know people's opinions on KLH as well. What do you guys think of the Boston line?
KLH are entry level speakers. They use the least expensive drivers as well as very basic crossovers. If they sound good to you, then you've found quite a deal.

Boston are a bit higher end than KLH, but again, it doesn't mean a thing if you don't care for the sound. If budget is your bill, check into BIC Venturi speakers. There's not much out there that competes at that price point, and I've yet to hear negative reviews.

K

KrisJ

Junior Audioholic
ChrisRai said:
Ive never been a fan of KLH speakers. I remember getting a set as part of a reciever combo deal at best buy 7 years ago which were returned ASAP. Ive owned several Boston's but only car audio speakers, havent heard their home offerings. For what its worth, I was very impressed by BA's customer service. I had lost a tweeter mounting bracket and called to ask how much a replacement would cost. To my suprise they promptly shipped me a complete tweeter mounting kit free of charge.

G

genesound

Enthusiast
KLH was a brand to be reckoned with in the early 1970s. Now they're a bought out has been, at least as far as real HiFi is concerned.

C

ChrisRai

Enthusiast
lol, I was afraid that I would get replies like this. I didn't think KLH was hi-fi, but not that bad. I really like the Boston VR series sound, they're clear and have a lot of bass for the size.

E

ExtraCheese

Audioholic Intern
My 2 cents.

I think the VR series is designed (quite well, I might add) for HT enthusiasts. Solid bass response and bright highs. If you like that sound, go for the Bostons. I've always been a fan of their sound as well.

Good luck

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
Yes, getting the Boston speakers you mentioned, or something similar, should make a significent (sp?) difference for music.

Besides playing somewhat lower & higher frequencies, you should see an improvement in the mid-bass. When you compare, don't just listen for the highs & lows; look at the area just above the bass - the Boston speakers should produce a more "full" sound.

I listened to a pair of Boston Acoustics VRB bookshelves recently, & liked them.

C

ChrisRai

Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies. I have heard the VR3 and VR2 speakers, and they do sound full. I like the bass response especially. They're pretty inexpensive for how good they sound, too.

S

sokrman14

Audioholic
I have sold the VR speakers from Boston, and have owned them myself. I feel that as far as value goes, for there price they are one of the best values around. As everyone has said they are bright with pretty good base response, and also are fairly crisp. Based on a professional and personal standpoint I would say go for them.

G

gcmarshall

Full Audioholic
i own the Boston VR3's and like them. i felt that, for their price, they performed very well and looked good too (looks do count when you are married and the wife wants something that looks more like furniture and less like stereo equipment). anyway, i have been very pleased with 2 pairs of boston speakers over the last 11 years. just my opinion.....

still searching for audio nirvana.....and probably always will be.....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis