kind of looking for high end portable audio equipment

T

thegreatandi

Enthusiast
i am kind of always on the go and I travel internationally quite a bit ( long flights, long waits, hotel rooms, etc) and I was kind of looking for some nice high end portable audio equipment. I would love to buy a high end mp3 watch and to watch videos I was hoping I could find some sort of tablet version of one, it doesn't need to have an operating system of course just needs to be able to plug and play kind of deals like easy usb or external drive connector. large capacity greatly wanted, but other features are equally accepted. anyone got some links or ideas:):p

T

thegreatandi

Enthusiast
is that for portable audio devices?? mp3s Mp4s video player tablets portable cd players etc??
and didn't you give me that link in a different thread:confused:

T

thegreatandi

Enthusiast
also, I was kind of looking for an individual prespective and not another link :(
i found some high end electronics, but i kind of wanted o hear another person's likes

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
also, I was kind of looking for an individual prespective and not another link :(
i found some high end electronics, but i kind of wanted o hear another person's likes
Here's my perspective on higher-end portable audio: I love high quality sound but I also live things very portable. My current answer is my trusty Samsung S4 with 64gb sd card. Loaded to the gills with FLACs. I think Sandisk recently announced a 128Gb MicroSDXC :eek:

I use Shure SE425 IEMs (which I personally love) but you are welcome to choose different ones - not everyone likes IEMs

No need to spend extra money on expensive mp3 player - I can't find the review right now, but S4 was measured to have one of lowest THD among peers. I think only iDevice5 beats it slightly, but I hate, no .... ABSOLUTELY H A T E !!!! iTunes software and I don't think iDevices support ALAC yet. ( I think there are direct format converters from flac to alac)

T

thegreatandi

Enthusiast
hahaha I hate " I " anything too. the system seems weak and bare. I have tried out up to the newest iphones and I had a Ipad2 whatever generation a year ( or two) back. So you seriously don't like mp3's though? my phone was a more important device in my opinion compared to an mp3 due to that the phone was used for online internet and like internet shopping. Also, i needed room on phone storage for icons and other senseless crap, but the external sd was always for holding large games ( I also use emulators on my phones ) So I would always need the space to store the games on my sd card, but also the android downloadable games x.x no room to hold all my flacs and videos. . . .I prefer mp3's soley for the point that they should be small, easy to use, stylish, and only needed memory to be used for the music/videos. no operating system crap or games or icons, just music ***drools***

btw what is IEM??? what is THD ??? sorry i am not familiar with those acronyms

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
hahaha I hate " I " anything too. the system seems weak and bare. I have tried out up to the newest iphones and I had a Ipad2 whatever generation a year ( or two) back. So you seriously don't like mp3's though? my phone was a more important device in my opinion compared to an mp3 due to that the phone was used for online internet and like internet shopping. Also, i needed room on phone storage for icons and other senseless crap, but the external sd was always for holding large games ( I also use emulators on my phones ) So I would always need the space to store the games on my sd card, but also the android downloadable games x.x no room to hold all my flacs and videos. . . .I prefer mp3's soley for the point that they should be small, easy to use, stylish, and only needed memory to be used for the music/videos. no operating system crap or games or icons, just music ***drools***

btw what is IEM??? what is THD ??? sorry i am not familiar with those acronyms

IEM - In-ear monitor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
THD - Total harmonic distortion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Only 320Kbs MP3s could come close to be call High quality, in fact most folks wont distinguish them from flac, however lower rates mp3s (128-192) are sh1te which should never be called high end...

I actually like some of idevices, what I hate is their limits to file copy and horrendous itunes software

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
While FLAC files sound better, a good copy 320 CBT MP3 file isn't shabby by any means and you'd be hard pressed to find a lot of people who can tell the difference besides us audio snobs here. ;)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
While FLAC files sound better, a good copy 320 CBT MP3 file isn't shabby by any means and you'd be hard pressed to find a lot of people who can tell the difference besides us audio snobs here. ;)
lets just say - you would never be able to tell them apart in stock Apple earbuds ;)

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
lets just say - you would never be able to tell them apart in stock Apple earbuds ;)
In the words of John Lennon to Yoko, in his last interview with the BBC, mocking her inane comment on house-keeping, in a condescending tone "You're so right love, so right". :D:D:D

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
I like the ipod classic. I have two versions of all my audio files, a lossless version for streaming around the house and a 320 kpbs version for my iPod. I use it with a good pair of headphones. I'm currently using the ATH M50s. They're pretty good and they seal out noise which is a plus when traveling. They also fold up to a reasonable size. I'd like to replace them with the AKG k550s though. If I spent a lot of time on planes though I'd spring for noise canceling phones.

Lately, I've really been enjoying my chromebook for travel. I uploaded all my music to google music and so it is available wherever I am as long as I have wifi. The chromebook does a tolerable job of driving the ATH M50s.

You could always try out a headphone amp (or a dac/headphone amp) combo as well. I've been wanting to try out the JDS cMoyBB for a while, JDS Labs - cMoyBB v2.03 Headphone Amplifier. The price is very reasonable and I like that it runs on a 9 volt battery; plus it gets great reviews.

The head fi people will give you like a zillion recommendations if you post there.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis