S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Right now, I'm listening to Miles Davis cut 5 Flamingo Sketches from Kind of Blue on SACD. I'm switching to the same recording from a CD imported as a wav file into iTunes. Here's what blows me away, the presentations are identical, that's to say, I cannot distinguish between computer audio to preamp and playback from my SACD player (Sony VDP-S9000es); and, I'm critically listening. Here's what's, perhaps, even more remarkable, my computer is an inexpensive Dell Inspiron 14; and, I'm playing to my preamp (Sony TA-E9000es) from a headphone mini jack to RCA. I'm thinking now, what's the point of a USB to DAC, or USB to S/PDIF? My Kind of Blue discovery makes me Kind of Happy.

Last edited:
Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I just bought the Columbia 2010 re-issue of Kind of Blue on 180g vinyl at a used record store. I didn't want to but I have heard so much about this recording when I saw it staring at me from a used record bin I just had to take it home. Its tough to like an album that gets recommended so very highly by nearly everyone because I'm a contrarian by nature. If everyone else recommends it, well, that makes it really tough for me to like it at all.

This for me was a test of "will a vinyl pressing sound good at all" since I listen almost exclusively to digital rips. Sigh. The vinyl holds its own. As a medium, it disappears well enough that the music can take over and be the main event. The music, while not my favorite form of jazz, is pretty darned good even to a contrarian. From a quality listening perspective, its a toss between the vinyl and the CD rip.

I think if I had 10 albums that were new to me and un-reviewed or nobody set expectations for them, and Kind of Blue was somewhere in that group, I don't know that I would choose it or pick it out for special mention. I understand its historical significance, and the significance of what Miles Davis did on the recording. For sheer listening pleasure however, I'm not sure I would choose this over any of the jazz artists that this album no doubt inspired.

I feel more like I just attended a class at school having listened to Kind of Blue than I just bought a great piece of music I want to share with my friends. That shows my lack of pedigree and refinement, no doubt.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Unrefined indeed!

How much did you pay for it used?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Unrefined indeed!

How much did you pay for it used?
I had to find the receipt to get the number. I paid a whopping $17.99 + taxes and government insults for the used vinyl recording. That's really pretty good for vinyl. If I had to guess by doing a quick visual scan of the vinyl they sell, I'd say the average album is about $28 bucks, more if they are new or in demand. I don't buy a lot of vinyl. It seems if its a special reason (like this one) or an album I know by heart from back in the day, I'll spring for it. But my bread and butter listening is ripped CD's. At $2.99, the CD's are just a bargain. Can't pass up the bargains now that I know about them.

S

sterling shoote

Since I started this thread, wow, over 6 years ago, I too have purchased a vinyl recording of "Kind of Blue". I purchased it thinking maybe it would sound better than the SACD of same. That would have been great, since the SACD, as well as the CD of this work sound to me like someone scratching their fingernails on a chalk board. That's to say, I don't think Miles Davis is as great a trumpet player as he is a composer. His trumpet playing just makes my ears bleed. I love jazz, all forms of it; but, Miles Davis trumpet playing is too harsh.

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
Since I started this thread, wow, over 6 years ago, I too have purchased a vinyl recording of "Kind of Blue". I purchased it thinking maybe it would sound better than the SACD of same. That would have been great, since the SACD, as well as the CD of this work sound to me like someone scratching their fingernails on a chalk board. That's to say, I don't think Miles Davis is as great a trumpet player as he is a composer. His trumpet playing just makes my ears bleed. I love jazz, all forms of it; but, Miles Davis trumpet playing is too harsh.
Sterling in regard to Miles as a trumpet player vs composing, I agree. I to listen to all forms of jazz and I'm very selective when it comes to Miles, his sound can be harsh as you stated which limits my listening pleasure for Miles, don't miss understand me I like him but not for extended enjoyment...lol... First Light by Freddie Hubbard which I have in cd & vinyl in it's original form, I listen to the CD...

S

sterling shoote

Sterling in regard to Miles as a trumpet player vs composing, I agree. I to listen to all forms of jazz and I'm very selective when it comes to Miles, his sound can be harsh as you stated which limits my listening pleasure for Miles, don't miss understand me I like him but not for extended enjoyment...lol... First Light by Freddie Hubbard which I have in cd & vinyl in it's original form, I listen to the CD...
My favorite song on that album is Moment to Moment. Over all, however, Trumpet Place is apparently not where my jazz listening pleasure resides, judging from what jazz I have in my iTunes Library. Looks like I'm a big sax fan, Scott Hamilton and others similar.

BTW, since posting the original thread, I no longer play iTunes from computer to pre/pro using the computer's DAC. I purchased an Airport Express which gives me Airport wireless transmission from computer to pre/pro. The Airport Express is connected to the pro/pro using S/PDIF connection, which outputs to pre/pros DAC at 16/44.1. Also, I now have another laptop, which is connected to my pre/pro using an external sound card (Creative Sound Blaster Premium HD). I use its USB to S/PDIF function, transmitting at 24/96, which is the max my pre/pro will accept. These methods, after many listening experiments, sometimes do indeed seem to sound better than the original RCA to RCA connection.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you can't wait to hear it on my upgrade 3060
It's a great looking setup. I was making a joke poking fun at another thread I was involved in that was discussing using YouTube videos to judge speakers. :p

AUDIOCRAZE

AUDIOCRAZE

Junior Audioholic
It's a great looking setup. I was making a joke poking fun at another thread I was involved in that was discussing using YouTube videos to judge speakers. :p
Oh haha!!! I was surprised though that a cell phone was able to capture it as good as it did. But as you know it'll always sound better in person.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
It's a great looking setup. I was making a joke poking fun at another thread I was involved in. :p
Pogre
I'm glad you added this little post. When I saw your first one, my first reaction was to jump all over the idea of "great sound in a youtube video". It made me laugh. Thank you for adding this post. :p

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Pogre
I'm glad you added this little post. When I saw your first one, my first reaction was to jump all over the idea of "great sound in a youtube video". It made me laugh. Thank you for adding this post. :p
I had to make sure nobody thought I was being serious! :p

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
I had to make sure nobody thought I was being serious! :p
I had to read it 3 times and then asked myself is Pogre serious, I said man, I know I've haven't been able to spend a lot time here lately but hell, I have to get the information on what I'm going to need to get that sound from utube...I have to re-think it now before I let you spend my money:p...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis