kind of a DIY question/silly idea

W

Wheatenterrier

Junior Audioholic
My plan is to take the cabinet from a Klipsch RPW 10 and replace the amp and woofer.
RPW10.1.jpg
Before I get bombarded by why's, I'll add that this cabinet just looks dang cool to me. I absolutely love the slot port on the bottom with the plastic surround. I just think it looks awesome, and I would love to find a way to modify it for the best performance.

The problem is that the RPW10 sucks. So can I make it significantly better by changing the amp and driver? Which amp and driver should be used with it. I have roughly calculated an internal volume of 1.7 cubic ft. Dayton has a 10 inch titanic mkIII driver and they also sell a 500W bash amp. I just don't have any expierience with this. Just enough to know that I should choose carefully.

I might consider a pre built cabinet if it was very similar in appearance.
Also this unit will not be in my HT. I us an SVS PC12-plus for that. This unit will make a 2.1 to go with my flat screen tv upstairs, mostly used for HD TV, and sometimes music.
What thoughts do you have?

W

Wheatenterrier

Junior Audioholic
Budget

Well, I want to keep it reasonable, hope to get the cabinet for 150 used, or about 200 new. For the amp and woofer together I would like to keep it under
350. So 400-500 total. If I can get the rpw10 broken or something then I can save some money.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My plan is to take the cabinet from a Klipsch RPW 10 and replace the amp and woofer.
View attachment 7223
Before I get bombarded by why's, I'll add that this cabinet just looks dang cool to me. I absolutely love the slot port on the bottom with the plastic surround. I just think it looks awesome, and I would love to find a way to modify it for the best performance.

The problem is that the RPW10 sucks. So can I make it significantly better by changing the amp and driver? Which amp and driver should be used with it. I have roughly calculated an internal volume of 1.7 cubic ft. Dayton has a 10 inch titanic mkIII driver and they also sell a 500W bash amp. I just don't have any expierience with this. Just enough to know that I should choose carefully.

I might consider a pre built cabinet if it was very similar in appearance.
Also this unit will not be in my HT. I us an SVS PC12-plus for that. This unit will make a 2.1 to go with my flat screen tv upstairs, mostly used for HD TV, and sometimes music.
What thoughts do you have?
Matching a different driver to a box and port is next to impossible. The box and port need to be built to a given drivers TS parameters.

It is far easier to build a speaker from scratch than modify one. There are a lot of DIY sub threads on these forums.

Your idea is not worth the time of day I'm afraid.

You have quite a few alignments to choose from here.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Check out the kappa perfect builds for what its worth they are very affordable and really kick ask any one.:D

J

jamie2112

Banned
2nd the Kappa perfect build by Avaserfi...........and Wmax

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
i agree, it does look good.

plug the port. and get a sealed driver. or build a cabinet that looks like that one, only bigger.

W

Wheatenterrier

Junior Audioholic
Thanks, I'm glad I asked then. I guess I'll start by picking a driver then start looking at cabinet plans. I do have a friend that builds cabinets for homes, he might be able to make a nice subwoofer cabinet with plans to follow.

I'll check out the drivers and see if I can pick one.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks, I'm glad I asked then. I guess I'll start by picking a driver then start looking at cabinet plans. I do have a friend that builds cabinets for homes, he might be able to make a nice subwoofer cabinet with plans to follow.

I'll check out the drivers and see if I can pick one.
You are wise in your decision to abandon this plan. That box is part of the subs problem.

A driver can usually perform well in the right enclosure.

If you tell me your budget I can easily suggest a driver. The Kappa is great, but there are even better subs out there if you have the funds. I just want to give you several choices.

Sub's are easy compared to what he does for a living so he can probably hook you up. Make sure you get a 13 ply box. When your moving it your body will thank you.

F

fredk

Audioholic General
I do have a friend that builds cabinets for homes, he might be able to make a nice subwoofer cabinet with plans to follow.
If you have a friend who can build, or help you build, a cabinet nicely squared with good joints, you are way ahead of the game.

All you need to do then is get the right design and do a little work to finish the outside properly. There are lots of folks here that can help you with the design part.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
now that i think about it. my subs look much like that.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis