Kenwood, repair or replace? If replace, what you recommend? Thanks!!

A

audiobam

Audiophyte
Hello friends!

I have this old Kenwood XD 500 minicomponent system, it is 15 years old.

Today, it suddenly stopped reading any CD. It says "No Disc" after attempting many, many times and many CD I just got tired.

I guess this needs repair

But what do you think? Is it better to replace it with something new?

What you recommend?

I want something smaller than the Kenwood XD 500, don't need much power I live in a small room really but want dynamic range.

I listen 99% of the time to Opera and Classical Music a lot and it requires a huge dynamic range specially for high pitched soprano voices. So speakers better have super tweeters yeah!

Ok Im looking for nothing fancy, just average quality, want something reliable that would last another 15 years or so (LOL) and that it is smaller because as I said, I live in a small room. I need no much power.

Something that can play MP3 files that you can connect a USB stick

It doesn't need to be iPod compatible, I don't even own an iPod.

Just something good quality

Im gonna miss my XD 500 speakers with super tweeters inculded they are so great!! (Would I keep those speakers?)

My budget? About USD400-500

What are the good brands nowadays?

Thanks in advance!!

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I would go with...
HTM-200 SE Home Theater Monitor
Dayton Audio DTA-100a Class-T Digital Amplifier 50 WPC Provides Power To Computer Speakers, Bookshelf Speakers, Headphones, And More! 300-383
Amazon.com: Sony DVPSR210P DVD Player (Progressive Scan): Electronics or find any cd dvd player you want with analog outputs...

the sound from the above system will floor you compared to your shelf system. I have that same amp and speakers and they are amazing together, the tweeter in them 200se's are great...
For the money you can't do better IMO...
And get an I pod what are you waiting for...

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
One thing to remember when buying a system, if you get tiny, it costs more for getting the same quality of sound. If you can handle having full-sized components, you will be able to either save money or get better sound or both.

But before you buy anything, if you are "handy", unplug the unit, take the cover off and clean the lens of the CD player. It is possible that you just have a dirty lens on your CD player, and if cleaned, it will work. It is also possible that the laser is simply failing, in which case this will not fix the problem.

If you must go with a tiny system, I would go with Yamaha. If you like your current speakers, most likely, you can still use them, and just buy a new CD player/receiver. Probably the cheapest solution would be to simply add a CD player to your current setup. This, by the way, illustrates a problem with all-in-one units; typically, part of it fails before the rest of it, so you often have the receiver section still working fine when the CD player section dies. Separates are better for dealing with this, but they cost more, and usually take up more space (though some companies have made tiny separates).

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

Not that I'd try to talk you out of getting a new toy :D, but you can also try cleaning the lens on the laser assembly and see if it'll read discs again. It's possible that it got dust, hair, or some other debris on it. The easiest way, IMO, is to open the disc tray and blow air inside to try and dislodge whatever is on the lens. Compressed air or even a hair dryer can work. If that doesn't do it, you can also take it apart and clean off the lens. There are also cleaning discs that you can buy, but I've never used one.

EDIT: Oops, I see that Pyrrho already mentioned cleaning the lens.

A

audiobam

Audiophyte
Thanks to all of you guys and sorry for the late reply.

ImcLoud, that Dayton amplifier looks so nice, small, high quality and versatile, that might be the way to go

Pyrrho and Adam, yes, there may be a possible easy solution, though I previously tried a CD cleaner but my Kenwood does not even read it!!

I took the cover once a few years ago to so some general cleaner with compressed air and might try again and see if it works but I doubt it.

As far as I remember, when it was working, as soon as you insert a CD in the tray and the unit starts reading it, there was a dim, sweet sound like a "tuuu" very dim and short that you could only hear if you were close enough to the unit, almost with your ear touching the unit, and I always thought that was the laser unit making some noise and then the music began to play. But now, there is no "tuu" sound! So I guess the laser unit is dead. Well, Im not technician after all!!

So far I been very busy and just plugged my cheap Philips DVD unit to the Kenwood's aux input using coaxial cable, so far I can listen to my beloved CD. This as a temporary solution. Will consider that Dayton mini amplifier, it is portable, lookks great!!

Thanks all of you!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis