A

Alec

Audiophyte
I have just purchased Klipsch R35 reference speakers and a Sony CD player. The receiver I have is 17 yrs old and it is a Kenwood KA-88 100 watt 8 ohm. When I turn the volume way up, the stereo clips out. This is more so after it warms up. Help?

Last edited:
mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
Alec said:
I have just purchased Klipsch R35 reference speakers and a Sony CD player. The receiver I have is 17 yrs old and it is a Kenwood KA-88 100 watt 8 ohm. When I turn the volume way up, the stereo clips out. This is more so after it warms up. Help?
.....Alec, welcome to Audioholics, and it sounds like the problem is at receiver level....the 17 year old receiver at whatever wattage it puts out is not cutting it....you could have a shop go over it and sink money into a 17 year old unit if you wish, but were I you, I would consider a new receiver....I will say this....I bought my Son-in-law a JVC 8030 it was either 6.1 or 7.1 surround receiver about 3 years ago, that he has used as stereo only pushing two mains from day one, the mains are not necessarily efficient, and he and I both could not be more pleased with how that inexpensive receiver kicks the fire out of those mains exceptionally cleanly....I don't have a clue if the 8030 is still a model JVC offers, but the one I got was about $160 to my door....it was either 110 or 120 watts rated at 7 channels, but we all know the industry gets that spec with two channels being pushed.....good luck toward your outcome, Alec, and again, welcome......

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis