JVC A/V Receiver OVERLOAD problem. PLease help

K

Kory

Enthusiast
I recently purchaced a JVC A/V Receiver model rx-6040. Every thing works great on it and i love all the features. The only problem is every since i bought it the receiver is shutting down and flashing OVERLOAD but only when i turn the volume past 30( It gos all the way up to 50). I then turn it off then on and it works fine until i turn it up again. Every time is different. Once it happened at 26 and another at 38( the highest i ever got it). It all depends on what song is playing. If its a metal song with loud guitar it will shut down at like 32. Some songs lower and some higher. What i think might be causing the problem is my rear speakers. I havent saved up enough money to buy good speakers so I bought a cheap set of suround sound and center speakers.The fronts are reated at 250 watts each so i know they are fine. But the rear are only 60 watts each. If the volume gos to 50 on the receiver and it puts out 100 watts per channel, if you do the math then when the volume is at 30 it is sendong 60 watts which is the max. But would this be causing the receiver to shut down? I know technology is way more advanced in newer receivers but can they actually tell how much power your speakers can handle and shut off to protect them? This has been getting on my nervs latly i want to figure it out. When you think about it im only getting 60% of what i paid for i want the whole thing. Well any help would be greatly appricheated. Thanks

P.S. I dont have anyother reear speakers to plug in to see if that is the problen. So if it is them ill have to go out and buy a new pair.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Please list the speakers you are driving. The mfg., model number, etc... Check the back of the speaker if you aren't sure.

The fronts are reated at 250 watts each so i know they are fine. But the rear are only 60 watts each.
That really means nothing without knowing the impedance and spl rating of those speakers. Your receiver is most likely shutting down because the speakers are demanding too much current from your amp.

Also, have you checked the temperature of the receiver when driving the unit hard? Heat will throw the unit into protection mode, just as pushing your amp beyond it's limits will.

Your receiver is a very "entry level" unit, and not meant to be pushed at extreme levels. I would only recommend driving a set of speakers rated over 94dB (spl) and nothing less than 8 ohm. Otherwise, that unit will shut down until it's completely dead. JVC is trying hard to disguise it's true output power with a rediculous 40-20,000 rating at .8% thd (almost audible - 1.0% is clipping). If that figure was 20-20,000 at .05% thd, you'd be lucky to find a third of that rated power at the published specs - just my opinion.

Here's the unit if anyone is wondering:
www.parkaveelectronics.com/product.asp?itemid=JVCrx6040&l=Froogle

Last edited:
K

Kory

Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply. It does this even on a cold start. Here are the speakers
Fronts= KLH model 9250b
Rear= 9930 rear
Center= 9930 center.
Like i said i had only a little to spend on apeakers o thats why i have the off brand ones. Thanks again for all you help.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
It is not your speakers. Your amp is rated @ 100 watts with one channel driven. So when driving all channels the power rating is signifacantly reduced.

Your reciever is going into protect mode because there are probably some wires crossed or some + and - wires are contacting each other.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I also don't think it's your mains - they are rated at 90dB (no where near 94dB, but not terrible). Here's the fronts:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?CategoryID=cat03044&id=1051826208041&skuId=5376167&type=product&DCMP=KNC-TLC&ref=25&loc=SHP

Here's the rest:
(the sensitivity is pretty low at 88dB, so this could be the issue. try running only the towers and see if it still shuts down at your preferred listening level)

http://store.wegotbetterdeals.com/ht9930.html

p.s. When listening to music at reference levels, make sure your tone controls are set flat. Don't "boost" the bass and treble. It may not sound as good, but it will make a huge difference in how your amp performs.

JVC

JVC

Banned
Usually, this is because you have a frayed speaker wire somewhere, as krzywica said. If you have retwisted and reconnected all your speakers, at receiver end AND speaker end, and it's still happening, the frayed or loose wire could be inside a speaker. Try some other speakers, if possible.
One more possibility is trying to drive 4 ohm speakers, with an 8 ohm receiver. 4 ohm speakers put a much heavier load on the receiver, which can cause it to run hot, and go into "Protect" mode.
Most likely a wire somewhere, is touching something it shouldn't. JVC receivers are much better than a lot of people give them credit for. There's always the possibility you got a receiver with a problem. It happens to all brands, sometime. If you can try other speakers, and it still does it, take it back, while it's under warranty.
If you got it from a local store............ take it to them, and get them to hook different speakers up to it.
Good luck! Keep us posted on the turnout? :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Disconnect all the speakers and reconnect them in pairs. If it still does it with just pairs, then connect just one at a time until you find out which connection or speaker is causing the problem.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis