Just got 2 polk audio m60's....need help hooking up to AVR

S

sigh144

Audiophyte
Ok, so I got the 2 Monitor 60's and the CS1 center channel......I have not hooked up the center channel yet. The AVR is a Yamaha rx-v467.

I'm not too informed on home audio equipment so bear with me:

I bought 2 dual banana plugs for the 2 monitor 60's and ran the speaker wire from the banana plugs to the back of the AVR and matcfhed up the red with the black, ran the wire from the 2 to the corresponding connectors (Front R+L) on the AVR to the back of the 2 speakers........

Ran an HDMI cable from HDTV HDMI input to AVR's HDMI output.

What am I doing wrong?? I'm not getting any sound?

Any suggestions? Please help!

W

wesley63

Junior Audioholic
First, what sound were you expecting to get? You did not mention any sound sources in your description.

The receiver will play audio from devices that are hooked up at the receiver inputs. For example, if you connect a Blu-Ray player using an HDMI cable from the player to one of the HDMI inputs on the back of the receiver, then the receiver can pull the audio out of the mix and send it to the speakers. The video will be forwarded to the TV over the HDMI cable that you have hooked up to the receiver's HDMI out.

If you are using a cable box or satellite box, then you will have to make a similar HDMI connection: from the box to an HDMI input on the receiver.

If you are watching broadcast TV over an antenna that is hooked to the TV, then you have to figure out a way to get the audio signal back to the receiver. Most HDTVs have an optical or coax digital out somewhere that you can input to a corresponding optical or coax digital input on the receiver. So the HDTV displays the video from over-the-air and outputs the sound signal back to the receiver for the speakers.

If you just want to quickly make sure that your speakers are connected, then turn on the receiver's tuner and listen to a radio station or listen to the static if there are no signals in your area. Hearing some static here would be a good thing.

Good Luck,
Jim

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis