Just canceled Netflix

jinjuku

jinjuku

In the end, we all pay for people stealing whether it's streaming or groceries.
But I paid for 4 streams. For 15 years Netflix allowed you to use your streams however you saw fit. Constantly being challenged if you are on the go with what they consider to not be a mobile device is a serious PITA for starts.

From what I hear PC's and phones aren't part of the challenge but Smart TV's and things like streaming boxes are.

No one has stolen anything from Netflix when they've paid for 4 streams and the consume 4 streams.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja

No one has stolen anything from Netflix
when they've paid for 4 streams and the consume 4 streams.
That's for sure, they still are making lots of money
Here’s what the company reported for the second quarter versus what analysts expected, according to Refinitiv:

• Earnings: $3.29 a share vs. $2.86 per share expected
  • Revenue: $8.19 billion vs $8.30 billion expected

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
But I paid for 4 streams. For 15 years Netflix allowed you to use your streams however you saw fit. Constantly being challenged if you are on the go with what they consider to not be a mobile device is a serious PITA for starts.

From what I hear PC's and phones aren't part of the challenge but Smart TV's and things like streaming boxes are.

No one has stolen anything from Netflix when they've paid for 4 streams and the consume 4 streams.
I agree it's going to be a PITA!!!! I can't argue that point!

I've had Netflix a long time too. You are on the up and haven't stolen anything from Netflix. I get it. However, I'd be hard pressed to believe you never met anyone who isn't "mooching" or "sharing" a streaming service. I didn't realize my sister was. I've even met people where one household subscribes to a couple of streaming channels and another a different set then they "share." This is actually a premeditated crime. o_O

Unfortunately, I don't believe for a minute this is going to be a Netflix only thing. Two-factor authorization, for instance, was and is a PITA. Everyone is doing now too. Moreover, they're assuming you have, and have access to, a phone or an email account at all times. I've been overseas without good phone access. The alternative was to use an email account. But the email account wants to do a two-factor authorization or send an email to another account, which... You get the point. All three I've been with for 20+ years. Talk about frustrating!

People validate their behavior by telling themselves its mooching or sharing, or the company is making a lot of money. It might even seem like a victimless crime. However, it's not and it's still theft. If I was Netflix I'd be trying to stop the 8 million plus people in the US (~2 billion dollars in revenue) who are stealing from me.

Hopefully technology can come up with an easier solution.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Unfortunately, I don't believe for a minute this is going to be a Netflix only thing. Two-factor authorization, for instance, was and is a PITA. Everyone is doing now too. Moreover, they're assuming you have, and have access to, a phone or an email account at all times. I've been overseas without good phone access. The alternative was to use an email account. But the email account wants to do a two-factor authorization or send an email to another account, which... You get the point. All three I've been with for 20+ years. Talk about frustrating!

Hopefully technology can come up with an easier solution.
IMO, the best solution and no more need for several and long complex passwords, is to use a security key. With this, you only need one simple password for all your sign-ins and no more PW manager. Unfortunately, not many websites have adopted such two-factor authorization opportunity. I wonder if this way of signing in will ever get popular enough to become the safe log-in standard:

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I don't see why Netflix and other services don't just have a "family plan" like YouTube TV does. Everyone has their own profile. Nobody gives a poop where you are using the service.

If I log into Netflix at a hotel I'm staying at for a week due to work, I'm going to be livid if they try to cancel my account because of it.

There are not smart people in charge of a lot of compainies.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Beyond the crackdown, Disney also announced a $3 hike for both D+ an Hulu. I guess they didn't learn from Neflix's mistakes. When your new content pretty much blows and you are losing subscribers, there is a strike going on, a 20% increase in price isn't how you fix it. Guess we will be cancelling that...

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Beyond the crackdown, Disney also announced a $3 hike for both D+ an Hulu. I guess they didn't learn from Neflix's mistakes. When your new content pretty much blows and you are losing subscribers, there is a strike going on, a 20% increase in price isn't how you fix it. Guess we will be cancelling that...
Yep but we are sticking with Hululive vs going back to cable as we get more shows, via Hululive long with the other add ons, plus the $4.99 for ROKU and its still $82.15 cheaper than what my cable bill was when I cut the cord. But the way these streaming company rates increases are going, ONE day, cable TV will or could be the cheapest when they throw in some 300 MB internet service, which our basic service right now with Spectrum ( of course at the moment we have 1Gb) .

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yep but we are sticking with Hululive vs going back to cable as we get more shows, via Hululive long with the other add ons, plus the $4.99 for ROKU and its still $82.15 cheaper than what my cable bill was when I cut the cord. But the way these streaming company rates increases are going, ONE day, cable TV will or could be the cheapest when they throw in some 300 MB internet service, which our basic service right now with Spectrum ( of course at the moment we have 1Gb) .
My 1GB internet plan includes HD cable +DVR and I already got HBO free. I rarely watch cable, but it is practically free when bundled because they want to say people still have cable lol.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
My 1GB internet plan includes HD cable +DVR and I already got HBO free. I rarely watch cable, but it is practically free when bundled because they want to say people still have cable lol.
Hopefully one day that will happen in our area. Give local cable to keep customers from cutting the cord. smart.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis