Just canceled Netflix

jinjuku

jinjuku

Went to log in and the whole "This doesn't appear to be your primary location" Then I have to PROVE after 21 years of being a customer that I'm who I am and I'm where I'm at?

truck you.

I pay for 4 streams. One being used by my parents. So what?

Pigs get fat, Hogs get slaughtered. Netflix can kick rocks.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
This is the same the world over service goes down costs go up.

I'm having the same troubles as you with my IP server.. Been with TPG since dial-up days, now they want me to prove who I am by using the
code there going to send me to my phone. Only trouble is I don't run a mobile phone. Never have, never will. How to convince them of that fact
is just about impossible. It's a bit like banging your head on the wall, You only feel the benefit what you stop. So while that take my money every
month, I can't access my web page, or the site. So I phone, [ land line ] and wait half the day to get someone who doesn't speak english, but insists I can SMS
[ or what ever it's called ]] for a non-existent code.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
This is the same the world over service goes down costs go up.

I'm having the same troubles as you with my IP server.. Been with TPG since dial-up days, now they want me to prove who I am by using the
code there going to send me to my phone. Only trouble is I don't run a mobile phone. Never have, never will. How to convince them of that fact
is just about impossible. It's a bit like banging your head on the wall, You only feel the benefit what you stop. So while that take my money every
month, I can't access my web page, or the site. So I phone, [ land line ] and wait half the day to get someone who doesn't speak english, but insists I can SMS
[ or what ever it's called ]] for a non-existent code.
Amen to those that don't use phones...I have one, it gets used maybe 2 minutes a month...If I need to call someone. (its free, I would never pay for a phone)
It totally irks me how all companies nowadays assume everyone has their face plastered to one of those damn things.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Went to log in and the whole "This doesn't appear to be your primary location" Then I have to PROVE after 21 years of being a customer that I'm who I am and I'm where I'm at?

truck you.

My guess is you'll soon be cancelling all your streaming services if this bothers you that much.

While I get your anguish, Netflix, like every other provider, is out to make money. Unfortunately, a LOT, I mean a lot of people have abused their service diminishing the providers earnings. Which also results in worse or less content.

Also, everyone getting into the provider game is diluting profits and hurting the bottom line.

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
My guess is you'll soon be cancelling all your streaming services if this bothers you that much.

While I get your anguish, Netflix, like every other provider, is out to make money. Unfortunately, a LOT, I mean a lot of people have abused their service diminishing the providers earnings. Which also results in worse or less content.

Also, everyone getting into the provider game diluting profits is also hurting the bottom line.
But the streaming companies do things that are very irritating and recently I cancelled Amazon Prime Video along with the MGM. So, in Sweden Amazon recently introduced MGM as well as option to rent certain movies/series, so I got MGM to binge-watch the old TV series Stargate SG-1, but at end of season 5 I found out that the last 5 seasons are not available. Combine that with extensive advertisments (in search and elsewhere) in the app of things to buy/rent I just cancelled it.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Also, everyone getting into the provider game diluting profits is also hurting the bottom line.
I paid for 4 streams. Period, end of story. You realize that every time I travel or spin up a new device to watch netflix that my credentials and the fact I pay them no longer matter. I'm the chump if I bend over and take it. Therefore I'm not going to be a chump.

You're point about canceling other streaming services is that I honestly can live a life without.

Piracy keeps looking better and better.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would love cancel NFLX. If my wife and 2 daughters would let me. :D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
My Netflix is free with our T-Mobile family plan now, so it’s not going anywhere for now. I did cancel HBO Max and Showtime and Paramount and Comcast Cable TV though a few months ago.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I paid for 4 streams. Period, end of story. You realize that every time I travel or spin up a new device to watch netflix that my credentials and the fact I pay them no longer matter. I'm the chump if I bend over and take it. Therefore I'm not going to be a chump.

You're point about canceling other streaming services is that I honestly can live a life without.

Piracy keeps looking better and better.
Unfortunately, my experience everywhere, work, home, play, is controlled by lowest common denominator. Not by the people who are doing the right thing.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja

truck you.

The darn same thing is being brought up by financial institutions, a.k.a. prove who your are. The bank who I have been with way before they are whom they are now, had to send a text ( code) yesterday so I could acknowledge that to get access to my account., two part authentication which I didn't sign up for. I called them first to find out who they are saying they are. Give me my the last 4 digits of my acct # or answer one of my secret questions. Its getting rather freaky these days.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
But the streaming companies do things that are very irritating and recently I cancelled Amazon Prime Video along with the MGM. So, in Sweden Amazon recently introduced MGM as well as option to rent certain movies/series, so I got MGM to binge-watch the old TV series Stargate SG-1, but at end of season 5 I found out that the last 5 seasons are not available. Combine that with extensive advertisments (in search and elsewhere) in the app of things to buy/rent I just cancelled it.
I don't put much past Amazon. Recall, they're the company that got busted for changing the price on items depending on your spending habits. I'm still not sure they completely got rid of this practice. I've learned that if I put an item in my cart and wait a few days the price either drops or a coupon clip appears. Generally, around 20%.

Then last night at my gf's house she asked Alexa to play some white noise before going to bed. Alexa then played an advertisement! If my Google hubs start doing this, they're going in the trash. But who knows? Maybe in time we'll be buying these hubs and paying a subscription to use it commercial free?

Which brings up a rant and something which I'm surprised hasn't been brought up on this site, which is increased number of sites putting up paywalls. Some sites I had been going to for 20 years now. I surely hope Audioholics doesn't go that route.

@AcuDefTechGuy the one I want to cut is Disney+. They have such little content, even less new content, and a lot of their content is not well written and relying on nostalgia to keep people paying. If most of their shows were characters you never heard of and put on Netflix, thus not related to Star Wars or Marvel, would you be watching it? Personally, I doubt I would. Nostalgia clouding my reasoning. But I'm starting to see the light.

I am glad @jinjuku is speaking with his wallet. We should all be so wise.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I've experienced that double checking too. Banking institutions and websites use IA for this purpose and that makes it more annoying.

With my desktop, I'm using two operating systems, Ubuntu and Windows 10. They notice that the OS is not the same or my IP might be slightly different since, I believe, Firefox might modify it for safety purposes which is definitely desirable. I've decided to abandon Windows in 2025 when Microsoft support for Win 10 will end. I will only use Ubuntu on my desktop. Fokc Microsoft.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I've experienced that double checking too. Banking institutions and websites use IA for this purpose and that makes it more annoying.

With my desktop, I'm using two operating systems, Ubuntu and Windows 10. They notice that the OS is not the same or my IP might be slightly different since, I believe, Firefox might modify it for safety purposes which is definitely desirable. I've decided to abandon Windows in 2025 when Microsoft support for Win 10 will end. I will only use Ubuntu on my desktop. Fokc Microsoft.
This has more to do with cookies and settings than operating systems. I use three different browsers for various reasons, Firefox, Edge, and Chrome. I have to remember which one I used for each site I visit. Otherwise, you have to do the two-factor authorization. I suppose I could just do the two-factor authorization for each site on each browser, but I don't.

Moreover, if you delete cookies/history you'll have to do the two-factor authorization all over again. Then, regardless of the browser or OS, it says something stupid like, "Remember this computer?" and you have to select yes or no. However, this is misleading. It's not the computer it's remembering, it's the browser on that computer. Cookies are not shared between browsers even on the same computer.

Works very similar on android based phones. Bank apps often require use of your fingerprint to avoid the two-factor authorization.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja

Linux rules. It has saved my bacon quite a few times over the last 20 something years and was always good for getting a double life out of otherwise, continuously obsoleted hardware.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
@AcuDefTechGuy the one I want to cut is Disney+. They have such little content, even less new content, and a lot of their content is not well written and relying on nostalgia to keep people paying. If most of their shows were characters you never heard of and put on Netflix, thus not related to Star Wars or Marvel, would you be watching it? Personally, I doubt I would. Nostalgia clouding my reasoning. But I'm starting to see the light.
I guess DISNEY+ has all the Star Wars and Marvel TV series. I've actually seen every single one of those, except for "Secret Invasion", which I couldn't even finish episode 2 before quitting. So if it were not for Secret Invasion, I would have seen every single new Star Wars and Marvels series. :D

NFLX does have some shows I watch: Witcher, Umbrella Academy, Vikings Valhalla, Cobra Kai, Sandman, You.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I guess DISNEY+ has all the Star Wars and Marvel TV series. I've actually seen every single one of those, except for "Secret Invasion", which I couldn't even finish episode 2 before quitting. So if it were not for Secret Invasion, I would have seen every single new Star Wars and Marvels series. :D

NFLX does have some shows I watch: Witcher, Umbrella Academy, Vikings Valhalla, Cobra Kai, Sandman, You.
Netflix still has some great shows I use Netflix for certain shows Amazon Prime for movies

jinjuku

jinjuku

The darn same thing is being brought up by financial institutions, a.k.a. prove who your are. The bank who I have been with way before they are whom they are now, had to send a text ( code) yesterday so I could acknowledge that to get access to my account., two part authentication which I didn't sign up for. I called them first to find out who they are saying they are. Give me my the last 4 digits of my acct # or answer one of my secret questions. Its getting rather freaky these days.
I'm actually a fan of MFA (multi-factor authentication) for things like health care and financial institutions. I use a password manager so I just auto-gen complex passwords and no two sites are ever the same.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I don't run M$ any longer for my main desktop, Ubuntu now. Also Pi-Hole for my recursive DNS. Also using Lets Encrypt on all my devices that have a built in web server/ftp/ssh etc. Trying to put as little telemetry out there as possible.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
You only have to look at the new subscriber numbers for Netflix to know that it was the correct financial decision for them. I still have a 3 stream plan, so I can understand jinjuku's frustration. If you're not exceeding the 4 stream limit, it shouldn't matter where you are, you're paying for the service. I used our Netflix account while in NovaScotia and did not experience any issues. I think I just received the standard email warning that a new location logged in. I forgot to log out when we left the rental property, so I was appreciative that I could log into my account on my phone and remotely log out the new device.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I did check out their subscription #'s and they seem pretty much sticking with the curve the past few years and that's pretty flat. I don't see the needle being moved one way of the other. My needle moved $22 however.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis