JTR Triple 8HT Vs Atlantic Technology 8000e

H

Hydrazine

Audioholic Intern
Hi Guys,

I've been doing research on speakers I can use in a home theater I am building. My initial thought was to go with Klipsch 650 or the Definitive Tech 65. The original discussion is here in this link: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/beginners-audiophytes/91719-klipsch-kl-650-vs-definitive-technology-studiomonitor-65-a.html

The Definitive Technology 65 was quickly ruled out.

After a few PM's and doing more research on the forum it looks like a the JTR Triple 8HT and Atlantic Technology 8000e are also very highly rated by users.

They will go a ~7500 cubic foot room. Bass will be supplied by eight 18" infinite baffle subwoofers mounted in a manifold that goes into the attic so the bass will be no problem.

In a room this large the Klipsch 650 may be stretching to get the job done. Further research brings in the Atlantic Technology 8000e or the JTR Triple 8HT. I havn't heard them but the reviews look really good.

Which would you suggest?

Thanks,
Tony

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
I have JTR T8s, they'll absolutely fill your room - and possibly kill small animals (they go extremely loud).

Sound quality is fantastic for such dynamics too.

Looking at the Atlantic Technologies, which I have not heard, they are a lot different of a speaker:
(I could only find 8200, is that the one?)
Atlantic Technology :: System 8200e

They're significantly less sensitive, harder to drive and have a lot less power handling.

If you want the room to sound like a movie theater, which it seems like you do, I'd get the JTRs. They make helicopter crashes sound like the helicopter literally just landed in your room. ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hi Guys,

I've been doing research on speakers I can use in a home theater I am building. My initial thought was to go with Klipsch 650 or the Definitive Tech 65. The original discussion is here in this link: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/beginners-audiophytes/91719-klipsch-kl-650-vs-definitive-technology-studiomonitor-65-a.html

After a few PM's and doing more research on the forum it looks like a the JTR Triple 8HT and Atlantic Technology 8000e are also very highly rated by users.

They will go a ~7500 cubic foot room. Bass will be supplied by eight 18" infinite baffle subwoofers mounted in a manifold that goes into the attic so the bass will be no problem.

In a room this large the Klipsch 650 may be stretching to get the job done. Further research brings in the Atlantic Technology 8000e or the JTR Triple 8HT. I havn't heard them but the reviews look really good.

Which would you suggest?

Thanks,
Tony
20' x 25' room is big. My family room area is 20' x 18' and my great room area is 40' x 20'. So I have a good feel for your room size. After you add furnitures and miscellaneous items, the room size becomes smaller. The real question is, how far will you sit from the speakers ?

When it comes to subwoofers, total room volume does factor in. But when it comes to speakers, the only thing that really matters is the listening distance. So if your actual distance from the TV screen is 15', then the Klipsch KL-650 and many other speakers will work wonders.

Now if your listening distance is 30' away, that's a different story. :D

H

Hydrazine

Audioholic Intern
The distance between the speakers and listening position is 21 feet.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If distance is 21', speaker sensitivity is 90dB/2.83v/m, amplifier is 100WPC, the SPL produced from 2 speakers is 97dB. If sensitivity is 94dB, SPL would be 101dB from 21' distance.

H

Hydrazine

Audioholic Intern
If distance is 21', speaker sensitivity is 90dB/2.83v/m, amplifier is 100WPC, the SPL produced from 2 speakers is 97dB. If sensitivity is 94dB, SPL would be 101dB from 21' distance.
Would it follow that If sensitivity is 98dB, SPL would be 105dB from 21' distance? If amplifier power was increased to 400WPC @ 98db sensitivity, SPL would be 111dB from 21' distance?

If you want the room to sound like a movie theater, which it seems like you do, I'd get the JTRs. They make helicopter crashes sound like the helicopter literally just landed in your room. ;)
^My wife would hate me for it but this does sound like ridiculous fun. :D
On the assumption that the SQ is good, I'm getting the feeling JTR is the direction I would like to take it.

Is there any particular forum vendor I should contact for JTR's?

G

GIEGAR

Full Audioholic
Hi Guys,

Which would you suggest?

Thanks,
Tony
Wow Tony! That's a large room with a fairly long listening distance.

In your other thread I recommended the JTR Noesis 228HT and now seeing your listening distance I'd reinforce them as the better choice over the Triple 8HT's. The primary reason is - as good as the Triple 8HT's are (I agree with MidnightSensi2) - their HF compression driver firing coaxially through the 8" midrange has a 90deg X 90deg (conical) dispersion pattern. Because of your long listening distance, this brings reflected sounds off the walls, floor and ceiling (depending on orientation) into play a lot more in what you hear at the LP. OTOH, the advantage of the Noesis 228HT is that the HF compression driver is mounted on a very good 18sounds controlled directivity horn with a 60deg(H) X 40deg(V) dispersion pattern. This will counteract the effect of your long listening distance because significanty less sound will be sprayed at the room's surfaces, therefore greatly increasing the proportion of direct sound from the speakers in the mix you hear at the LP.

Also, JTR are also discontinuing the Triple line (superseded by the Noesis) and it appears that the Triple 8HT's are sold out. I'm sure Jeff P (JTR) will build you a set of Triple 8HT's if you really want them, but the runout/sale prices are finished.

Are you still planning on flying the front speakers from the ceiling? I found this thread yesterday which confirms that Jeff will install threaded inserts and mounting hardware on request.

With a (conservatively rated) 98dB/1W/1m sensitivity, the JTR's can easily be driven to thunderously loud (if you want!) levels with your 4311CI, even at your relatively long listening distance. By comparison the Atlantic Technology (89dB) and Klipsch (92dB) setups, while probably very solid THX Ultra2 rated speakers, will require at least 8 times and 4 times the power respectively to reach a given volume.

Edit: Sorry, I posted before I saw your last post. JTR is internet direct only. The best way to contact Jeff is via the phone number on the website.

H

Hydrazine

Audioholic Intern
the advantage of the Noesis 228HT is that the HF compression driver is mounted on a very good 18sounds controlled directivity horn with a 60deg(H) X 40deg(V) dispersion pattern. This will counteract the effect of your long listening distance because significanty less sound will be sprayed at the room's surfaces, therefore greatly increasing the proportion of direct sound from the speakers in the mix you hear at the LP.
Controlled dispersion is a very good point.

And yes, the room is large. When I initially quoted the size it was based off a visual estimate. When AcuDefTechGuy asked for the listening distance (21') I broke out the tape measure and found the room was bigger than I thought. Actual room measurement is 24'x30'x13' vaulted ceiling. With hardwood flooring, a rug and a couch. Controlled dispersion is desirable in this room.

G

GIEGAR

Full Audioholic
For the record, that's not quite correct.

You have allowed the Inverse Square Law 6dB/dd attenuation for 21' distance of: -16dBSPL. [90dB@1m + 20dB amp gain - 16dB for distance + 3dB for 2nd speaker = 97dB.] However, in typical domestic living rooms the net SPL attenuation with distance equates to about 3dBSPL/dd (4dB/dd max.). If we adopt a middling value of 3.5dB/dd, the attenuation at 21' equates to 9dB. Thus the above SPL's work out to 104dB and 108dB respectively. :eek:

That's the problem with online SPL calculators... they're usually trying to sell you a amp! :D

G

GIEGAR

Full Audioholic
I'm still catching up Tony!

Would it follow that If sensitivity is 98dB, SPL would be 105dB from 21' distance? If amplifier power was increased to 400WPC @ 98db sensitivity, SPL would be 111dB from 21' distance?
Your logic is correct, however please refer to my previous post.

For a 98dB/1W/1m speaker: 98dB@1m + 20dB gain from 100W amp - 9dB attenuation for distance at 21' = 109dBSPL for a single speaker. Add 3dB for second speaker = 112dBSPL. A 400W amp gives 26dB gain (or doubling power twice = 6dB) giving 115dBSPL and 118dBSPL for single and dual speakers respectively. This is extremely loud, especially on a continuous basis and within the confines of a domestic room.

Interestingly, these levels are still well within the capabilities of the Triple 8HT and Noesis 228HT (1200Wrms power handling; 129dBSPL usable output), but at a point which most conventional dome tweeter speakers have long since tapped out, or are screaming for mercy. :cool:

^My wife would hate me for it but this does sound like ridiculous fun. :D
On the assumption that the SQ is good, I'm getting the feeling JTR is the direction I would like to take it.
Excellent! :D

Last edited:
M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
Yeah, I'd get the newer model - especially in your room. Sound quality is very good. They are compression driver speakers, but a high quality German CD is used that doesn't sound honkey at all. They have fantastic mid-range punch as well, something lacking in almost all home theaters.

Another nice thing with JTR is upgrades.. I had the original CD and crossover, and when the newer revision came out Jeff sold me, for a reasonable cost, the new crossovers and CD. The newer CD was able to handle significantly more continuous power, so it was a big upgrade for me at relatively little cost (I use my L and R double duty as sound reinforcement for work as needed, heh.. in my home the extra power handling wouldn't matter, although the crossover upgrade did).

A listening distance of 21' feet should be no problem for even reference levels with headroom. Here is somebody filming a T8 outdoors and then shows how far away they are, not exactly scientific, but, you get the idea:

Your room reference with plenty of headroom will be easy. I highly recommend looking into some prosound amplifiers to drive them.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GIEGAR

Full Audioholic
^ Attention OP Tony/Hydrazine: Do not, under any circumstances, let your wife see that video! ^

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GIEGAR

Full Audioholic
Yeah, the Single 8HT from JTR costs basically double both those. Wonder why the 8HT is so expensive..
Top shelf components has a lot to with it Midnight. An 8" coaxial that can take 600Wrms program and play at 120dB+ is pretty special. 2011 Single 8HT, Single 8HT-lp and Slanted 8HT - JTR Speakers Inc.

The 8HT are great speakers and are capable of remarkable output for their size. But at $1000, probably a bit rich when the Triple 8HT or Noesis 228HT mains are $1300. Unless someone has a collection of 5.1 music or concert disks where the surrounds are very active, I tend to think people overspend on surround speakers for the sake of having the same brand speakers all around. Some dipole/bipole speakers are hellishly expensive when you take into account the amount of content directed to surround/rear channels.

Of course, if you’ve spent $10K+ on the big boy Noesis or Seaton Catalysts for LCR, $1000 surrounds make a lot more sense. :D

Tony/Hydrazine: How are your deliberations going? ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis