John Meyer on Cinema Speakers

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I think he is correct that all speakers have to be accurate and powerful.

The grandchildren bring 7.1 BD discs that put enormous power to every speaker at times.

I have said often that surrounds with poor power handling don't cut it.

He certainly is right about speaker producing mush as the volume is turned up. It's thermal compression as the root cause.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
When cinemark upgraded their theater where I live their XD has some of the best sound I've ever heard. The regular theater I saw terminator salvation in had a great sound system, but the sub choked during one scene. I've never heard a theater do that before. It was bad, sounded like they over extended the driver or something. I need to get back there and watch something in the XD again because it is one of the few theaters with Dolby Atmos installed. I'm pretty interested to see how that sounds.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
I have been in the cinema industry 16 years and John Meyer is dead on.

Funny thing is most theaters typically have high quality speakers installed but cinemas typically lack in a few key areas.

1. Lack of power. Especially the sub woofers. They always cut corners here. They typically get the stage speakers correct but cut corners elsewhere.

2. Not enough subs. They always think 1 or 2 will do. Some have gotten better but as a whole no one is close to being able to do playback at reference without clipping the amp or blowing drivers.

3. Technicians who do not understand sound and how to properly set up and tune the system.

Just my experience and what I see in just about every cinema I have been in.

On occasion some get it right though. Those are great places to watch movies.

Last edited:
Gordonj

Gordonj

Full Audioholic
I have been in the cinema industry 16 years and John Meyer is dead on.

Funny thing is most theaters typically have high quality speakers installed but cinemas typically lack in a few key areas.

1. Lack of power. Especially the sub woofers. They always cut corners here. They typically get the stage speakers correct but cut corners elsewhere.

2. Not enough subs. They always think 1 or 2 will do. Some have gotten better but as a whole no one is close to being able to do playback at reference without clipping the amp or blowing drivers.

3. Technicians who do not understand sound and how to properly set up and tune the system.

Just my experience and what I see in just about every cinema I have been in.

On occasion some get it right though. Those are great places to watch movies.

I have been lucky to have designed a few THX/Lucas theaters for museums and the movie experience is truly amazing through a sound system designed at a great level.

Gordon

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis