Joe Zawinul, 1932-2007

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
This cuts to the bone. Weather Report will never be again.:(:( Boy we seem to be losing all the great ones at a fast pace, if this keeps up we'll be left with the current crop of hacks as the future to be listened to.:(

race4aliving

race4aliving

Audioholic
Joes song Birdland on Weather Reports ,Heavy Weather record should be one the first songs you play for someone who wants to learn jazz. that was one fine band.

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
This cuts to the bone. Weather Report will never be again.:(:( Boy we seem to be losing all the great ones at a fast pace, if this keeps up we'll be left with the current crop of hacks as the future to be listened to.:(
Stratman -
I'm gonna have to say that there are tons of up and coming performers in any genre that will rock anyone's world! It's just a matter of finding them. With all of the marketing hype on image and not talent, finding the best (for you) is gonna take a lot of digging. It's unfortunate the state the music industry is in, but it's all brought on by campitalism...sex sells.

IMHO, the best music is found at the smoky, back-alley jazz club...
Of course there places that support live music and are accessible to everyone, too. I love the Jazz Bakery in Los Angeles. I heard the Bill Holman Big Band there. Simply awesome!

Joe will be missed. An inspiration to all musicians.
The next "great one" is just waiting to be discovered...

-pat

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Stratman -
I'm gonna have to say that there are tons of up and coming performers in any genre that will rock anyone's world! It's just a matter of finding them.

Here's one:

Taylor Eigsti "Love For Sale":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnbtPaJ0cQc

He's only 23 or 24 now, and his "Lucky To Be Me" album is terrific. I was hoping to find his version of "Freedom Jazz Dance" online, but this one's good too.

Last edited:
stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Stratman -
I'm gonna have to say that there are tons of up and coming performers in any genre that will rock anyone's world! It's just a matter of finding them. With all of the marketing hype on image and not talent, finding the best (for you) is gonna take a lot of digging. It's unfortunate the state the music industry is in, but it's all brought on by campitalism...sex sells.

IMHO, the best music is found at the smoky, back-alley jazz club...
Of course there places that support live music and are accessible to everyone, too. I love the Jazz Bakery in Los Angeles. I heard the Bill Holman Big Band there. Simply awesome!

Joe will be missed. An inspiration to all musicians.
The next "great one" is just waiting to be discovered...

-pat
Yeah you're right Pat, but I think you hit the proverbial nail on the head, "marketing hype on image" is what rules the day, I have been following music most of my life and even during the disco "phenomena" you still had prolific jazz, blues and even good pop making the rounds, back then record companies still managed to groom their talent, letting them mature and showcase their talent. Today it's the hit of the week, MP3 it, get it on the net asap, and sell millions, when they milk the talent it's quickly replaced by next flavor, careers in music aren't meant to last long anymore it's reverted to the singles mentality of the fifties, few were able to survive the "one hit wonder" stigma, the more resilient survived into the 60s as great talent. Unfortunately the music business has changed for the worse.

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
Unfortunately the music business has changed for the worse.
Makes ya really wonder who the next U2, Aerosmith, or Rolling Stones is going to be...no record company is willing to nurture any group anymore. Really sucks.

Ben Folds rocks, btw! (His collaboration with William Shatner is really cool if you take the time to truly "listen" to it.)

-pat

"You're gonna die!" (Listen to the collaboration...)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis