JL Audio Fathom Series

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
3/4" is actually fine. The 12W7 driver weighs 45 pounds and has many more mounting screw holes as compared to most woofers. Now, do not ship it with the woofer installed, unless the driver is sitting upwards. But for actual fixed use(where it is not being dropped/banged around such as in shipping), it will be fine. Now, it may be wise to add in some bracing in the Parts Expres box. But that's easy. Just use 1" x 3" or 1" x 4" oak boards and glue them in the sides to add in strong ribs.

-Chris
another option is hiring out the cabinet. Nick51 at the tech talk forum would probably be willing to build a nice cabinet for this sub. It would likely look much better than the P-E box and might be cheaper. Plus he could cut the hole for you.

M

Method

Junior Audioholic
Now I dont know whether to get one F113, or two 110's.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Wow.... looking at all that goes into the Gotham, the retail of $12k doesn not seem unfair..... :cool:

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Wow.... looking at all that goes into the Gotham, the retail of $12k doesn not seem unfair..... :cool:
12k is a bit much IMO. An LMS or Axis build would be superior with far greater SPL. So I see no reason to charge 12k for any of these subs. Rock wool and fiber are both low cost along with MDF. marketing seems to take a great deal of the costs.

A JL Audio 13w7 build would easily match up to this sub and cost far less. Of course it's still a beautiful sub and with the right budget not a bad choice.:)

bigred7078

bigred7078

Full Audioholic
12k is a bit much IMO. An LMS or Axis build would be superior with far greater SPL. So I see no reason to charge 12k for any of these subs. Rock wool and fiber are both low cost along with MDF. marketing seems to take a great deal of the costs.

A JL Audio 13w7 build would easily match up to this sub and cost far less. Of course it's still a beautiful sub and with the right budget not a bad choice.:)
Hmm im sorry but i really really disagree with that statement. It just sounds like regurgitation... Really no offense, its just i constantly see the DIY's bash on the JL and most of them have never even demoed a Fathom or Gothem. Its an exceptional sub with AMAZING build. And it is different than the car audio driver. These subs can be found for faaar less than retail also.

L

Leonel R.

Enthusiast
Hmm im sorry but i really really disagree with that statement. It just sounds like regurgitation... Really no offense, its just i constantly see the DIY's bash on the JL and most of them have never even demoed a Fathom or Gothem. Its an exceptional sub with AMAZING build. And it is different than the car audio driver. These subs can be found for faaar less than retail also.
+1+10 characters :p

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Not regurgitation....

I own a Fathom F112 (Love it BTW), and also numerous DIY subs, there have been many many tests and measurements of what can be done DIY with a fraction of the money spent for commercial subs, compared to the the investment of that of the JL's...

No question about the amount of detail that goes into a Fathom, but the price for a Gotham is really stretching it for what you get $ for $, but its hard to put a price on craftsmanship the likes of the Gotham to be sure.

The LMS is hands down one of the best drivers I have ever heard sitting right next to my F112 in my subwoofer shootout

Not everyone has the time or the capabilities to DIY, so they open their wallet and plunk down that credit card, nothing wrong with that, but to say that DIY'ers are bashing is stretching it a bit here, we just know what we can do with a fraction of the money spent on commercial, and the same or better SQ and output can be had, now challenge them on their finishing skills for the final product is a different story. I still have to veneer, magnetic grill and granite top all my subs, but they will be beautiful when finished.

Putting my 18" DIY sealed Mal-X up against the F112, we found they sound almost identical, with the Mal-X digging a bit deeper, more output and maybe just a touch more balanced throughout the entire range.... both drivers sound absolutely stunning, I paid $350 for that driver and another $100-150 for supplies - labor and amp $750 all in.... Both subs sound incredible.

Last edited:
bigred7078

bigred7078

Full Audioholic
Not regurgitation....

I own a Fathom F112 (Love it BTW), and also numerous DIY subs, there have been many many tests and measurements of what can be done DIY with a fraction of the money spent for commercial subs, compared to the the investment of that of the JL's...

No question about the amount of detail that goes into a Fathom, but the price for a Gotham is really stretching it for what you get $ for $, but its hard to put a price on craftsmanship the likes of the Gotham to be sure.

The LMS is hands down one of the best drivers I have ever heard sitting right next to my F112 in my subwoofer shootout

Not everyone has the time or the capabilities to DIY, so they open their wallet and plunk down that credit card, nothing wrong with that, but to say that DIY'ers are bashing is stretching it a bit here, we just know what we can do with a fraction of the money spent on commercial, and the same or better SQ and output can be had, now challenge them on their finishing skills for the final product is a different story. I still have to veneer, magnetic grill and granite top all my subs, but they will be beautiful when finished.

Putting my 18" DIY sealed Mal-X up against the F112, we found they sound almost identical, with the Mal-X digging a bit deeper, more output and maybe just a touch more balanced throughout the entire range.... both drivers sound absolutely stunning, I paid $350 for that driver and another $100-150 for supplies - labor and amp $750 all in.... Both subs sound incredible.
Now i never said a DIY sub could not be superior, because that would be very naive. But i'm just tired of people immediately putting down the JL on some of these forums and saying a DIY sub would automatically be superior to it. People act like you can scavange your couch for loose change, run over to walmart, buy some misc. items and put together a sub Macgyver style that would crush the JL :p. Yes it can be done, but not everyone is going to be so crafty, even with that parts express pre-fabbed stuff.

I guess its just more of an annoyance everytime i go and want to read about JL subs. Sure DIY can lead to greater results, but hell the same thing can be said for all speakers. For example, i know your a big paradigm fan right? How annoying would it be that everytime you went to go read up on the various threads your a part of where some new guy comes and asks "so should i go with some Studio 100's or just go all out and get the Signatures?" Then immediately you get responses like "sure they are ok speakers, but you can get this parts express speaker kit, bubble gum, staples, barbwire, and some paint, and make yourself waaaay better speakers." Then the guys original question never gets answered and people just start giving him different speaker kit options lol.....

I dunno perhaps its just one of those things :D

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
You read what you wanted to out of it. I'm didn't bash JL Audio and considering I personally own 2 of their subs and highly recommend their products it would be silly too. 12k is ridiculous for almost any speaker or sub IMO though. Of course they do that retail high price mark for marketing purposes which is fine. There is no doubting this a high quality product with a great finish, very nice amp section, Superb driver and welll constructed cabinet. If you want a great commercial sub then it's one of the best.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Agreed my friend.. No question about it, I bought my F112 for my small bedroom, based on its size SQ and output - it was to the best sub I have ever heard !!!, which started me on my journey to get subwoofers of the same caliber of SQ for my great room, but there was a problem, I needed at least 3-4 times the output with the size of that room. I couldn't afford that many JL's.

I am thrilled with my accomplishments !!

You are truly right though, far to many threads get sidetracked with that kind of banter, but it is somewhat human nature to help people try to save money to get similar or sometimes better performance - or at least plant the seed.

My F112 cost me just shy of $2K and I don't regret spending that money for one second, and it will stay in my house for many years to come. I love it that much. It would be very difficult to replicate the engineering, finish work, capabilities and all the efforts involved to equal the Fathom

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
So who says DIY subs are so cheap.... :rolleyes:

If I'm going forward with what I like to do.. to make stereo sub's with two Audiopulse AXIS AX12Q1 in each sub and a Yamaha P7000S to drive these things.... It's gonna be sth like $ 4.5k .... not pocket change, but hopefully this will be ok sub's....

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
So who says DIY subs are so cheap.... :rolleyes:

If I'm going forward with what I like to do.. to make stereo sub's with two Audiopulse AXIS AX12Q1 in each sub and a Yamaha P7000S to drive these things.... It's gonna be sth like $ 4.5k .... not pocket change, but hopefully this will be ok sub's....
I think that's a very valid point. But I don't see how it's 4.5k? DIY is a great way to save money if your handy. If you're not or don't want to be then commercial subs exists to fulfill your wants.:)

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
unfortunately, the cheapest place to get these drivers are from the US, which adds a lot in freight and tax cost to me (but still cheapest way to go)
I could get two SVS PB-13 Ultra for that amount around here (yes they are more expensive here too)

M

mesojdm

Audioholic Intern
ave your heard/reviewed the F113? if so, your thoughts vs the 12?

Agreed my friend.. No question about it, I bought my F112 for my small bedroom, based on its size SQ and output - it was to the best sub I have ever heard !!!, which started me on my journey to get subwoofers of the same caliber of SQ for my great room, but there was a problem, I needed at least 3-4 times the output with the size of that room. I couldn't afford that many JL's.

I am thrilled with my accomplishments !!

You are truly right though, far to many threads get sidetracked with that kind of banter, but it is somewhat human nature to help people try to save money to get similar or sometimes better performance - or at least plant the seed.

My F112 cost me just shy of $2K and I don't regret spending that money for one second, and it will stay in my house for many years to come. I love it that much. It would be very difficult to replicate the engineering, finish work, capabilities and all the efforts involved to equal the Fathom

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
ave your heard/reviewed the F113? if so, your thoughts vs the 12?
I have heard the F113's.... in fact the guy had 4 of them in his HT, he was not lacking in the bass dept, it was a medium size room.... very very potent...

The differences which even JL will state, the F112 performs better in the upper bass region then the F113, and the F113 has a touch more output and reaches a db or more lower...

Personally I have a love for drivers that perform better in the upperbass area - thats what I shot for with the Mal-X drivers and they made the grade for sure.

I don't think you could go wrong with either purchase - JL's are the extremely very well engineered.

L

Leonel R.

Enthusiast
Now i never said a DIY sub could not be superior, because that would be very naive. But i'm just tired of people immediately putting down the JL on some of these forums and saying a DIY sub would automatically be superior to it. People act like you can scavange your couch for loose change, run over to walmart, buy some misc. items and put together a sub Macgyver style that would crush the JL :p. Yes it can be done, but not everyone is going to be so crafty, even with that parts express pre-fabbed stuff.

I guess its just more of an annoyance everytime i go and want to read about JL subs. Sure DIY can lead to greater results, but hell the same thing can be said for all speakers. For example, i know your a big paradigm fan right? How annoying would it be that everytime you went to go read up on the various threads your a part of where some new guy comes and asks "so should i go with some Studio 100's or just go all out and get the Signatures?" Then immediately you get responses like "sure they are ok speakers, but you can get this parts express speaker kit, bubble gum, staples, barbwire, and some paint, and make yourself waaaay better speakers." Then the guys original question never gets answered and people just start giving him different speaker kit options lol.....

I dunno perhaps its just one of those things :D

Lol.

This is my annoyance as well.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
on a related note ... Craigsub has this standing challenge that he will buy THE DIY subwoofer that will outperform the JL F113 for 3000 bucks provided the conditions below are met

Manville is correct.

It is ridiculous to have to continue to tolerate these meaningless posts from people who have never even auditioned a Fathom, and who have no interest in one, either.

This trend to poke fun at people buying the Fathom for "having more money than sense" and the constant claims of "I could build a sub with twice the performance for half the price" gets really old.

When called upon to prove it, of course there is a plethora of excuses why the DIY guru cannot do so. I particularly like the "I cannot afford to build you a subwoofer" excuse. Afterall, based on the claims, I would be doubling the DIY guy's money when purchasing the sub from him.

In fact, I will go one step further ... if someone takes on this challenge, I will pay the shipping to get it here for testing.

Here is the deal ... It was said the one could build a DIY sub for half the money of a Fathom and it would deliver twice the perfomance, too.

1. We need someone who can build a sub that has the same dimensions as a 113, with the exception that one wall can be 1.7 inches larger in dimension.

2. It must deliver more performance than the 113 - but rather than double, we will call it 3 dB higher output from 16 to 80 Hz.

3. It must be finished to furniture quality standards, as the Fathom is. It does not have to be a Piano Gloss Black - A wood finish is also acceptable.

4. It must also have the necessary LT circuitry, and EQ, to allow it to be eq'ed flat to within +/- 3 dB in our room.

5. The cabinent can have no audible resonances.

If someone builds this sub, and posts pics of it beforehand, I will pay to have it shipped here.

If it meets the above criteria, and you can show receipts that you paid less than $1500 for everything required for the project, I will purchase it from you for $3000. However, if it fails in any way to achieve the above perfomance parameters, I keep the sub.

Diyers ... Here is your chance. :)

Last edited:
bigred7078

bigred7078

Full Audioholic
on a related note ... Craigsub has this standing challenge that he will buy THE DIY subwoofer that will outperform the JL F113 for 3000 bucks provided the conditions below are met
Thanks for posting that Mike. That was pretty much what i was trying to get at, althought he put it alot better than me and added a challenge haha. :cool:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis