C

cthomp

Junior Audioholic
Looking for anybody that has experience with JBL speakers for home theater use. Are they decent speakers? They claim they are the most used speaker in theaters. I was looking at the Studio-L Series in particular. Budget $3000 (Not including sub). Tower fronts.

Thanks

Last edited:
3x10^8

3x10^8

Audioholic
It depends on what you're looking for, what your budget is etc., etc. Some brands have their strengths in certain product niches. To say that JBL is "good" overall is a broad generalization. To say that JBL is good in certain product categories is a bit more accurate.

The JBL brand, as well as it's parent company, encompasses a VERY, VERY broad product line, from consumer to commercial/industrial applications. Within that line-up are some horrible speakers and some that are simply amazing. Again, it all depends on what you need.

J

jeffvee

Audioholic
Jbl

cthomp said:
Looking for anybody that has experience with JBL speakers for home theater use. Are they decent speakers? They claim they are the most used speaker in theaters. I was looking at the Studio-L Series in particular. Budget $3000 (Not including sub). Tower fronts.

Thanks
I have a complete H/T set up with JBL speakers.

7.1 Set Up:

Main Fronts JBL E 100'S
Center Channel Northridge Series JBL EC35
Sub JBL Studio L 8400
Surround Rears Studio L810'S (4)
Harman Kardon AVR630

I am extremely pleased with the amazing sound these speakers have to offer.
The room I have this system hooked up in is a 14 x 20. Watching movies in 5.1 or 7.1 surround is simply breathtaking . Make sure you do the proper set ups for speaker distance, crossover's, speaker size settings (small), to get the most out of your system.
As for the sub, this is a 600 watter, and I auditioned it side by side with the SVS, and IMO, the JBL has the edge.

I used to have a pair of the JBL Northridge rear surrounds E20's and I wasn't impressed with those. I upgraded to the Studio Series and I'm much happier.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Personally, I like how JBL's sound with movies. Music however, didn't do it for me. The treble/mids were overemphasized.

Although, I am a warm sounding speaker kinda guy, and I like long walks on the beach. :D

SheepStar

E

ElPato

Audiophyte
JBL speakers

I have a pair of JBL S310II speakers from the old studio series.

I really love their sound. However, i find that they are a little bit "metallic":eek:
I mean, metal made instruments like cymbals or trumpets sound really great and lively. When i hear a ride cymbal on these speakers i can close my eyes and feel like i'm sitting behind a drum kit!!!!
However, wood instruments sound a little bit metallic. For example, acoustic guitars sound like they have metal strings instead of nylon ones (i'm exaggerating a lot).

I think that sheep is absolutely right . "warm sounding speaker kinda guys" won't like them.

Oh, and they do sound great with movies

My experience with higher end speakers is really limited (null i must say) so i'm not a really good point of reference. However, I hope that my thoughts help you.

PS: sorry if my english is bad

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
acoustic guitars do have metal strings.

nylon strings are on the really cheap flea market guitars.

E

ElPato

Audiophyte
jetyi83 said:
nylon strings are on the really cheap flea market guitars.

Do you think that Paco de Lucia plays cheap flea market guitars?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis