Jamo E850 vs Paradigm Monitor 7 v.5

J

juanito

Audiophyte
New to forum and a neophyte when it comes to HT.
I was recently burglarized and lost my Boston Acoustics tower speakers and a subwoofer. I have decided to try to build an audio system using components purchased used, where feasible. To that end, I have an opportunity to acquire thru Craigslist either a set of Jamo E850 towers for $400 the pair, supposedly in good condition, or a pair of Paradigm Monitor 7
v.5 towers in new condition (still in the box) for $300. I will only be allowed to audition the Jamos. They will be driven by a Denon AVR 900 receiver, over 10 years old. Because music is more important to me than movies I am reluctant to replace the receiver too soon. I will, however be on the lookout for a good sub.
My room is about 20 x 20 with ceramic tile floors and plaster walls.
Any thoughts on the towers, Jamo vs Paradigm?

S

skers_54

Full Audioholic
That's a great price on the Paradigms! I have the Atoms in a 2.1 setup for music and think they do admirably. I heard the Monitor 7s when I bought the Atoms and was impressed. Can't comment on the Jamo, but I think the Paradigms would be tough to beat at that price, especially new. The website lists their sensitivity at 94 dB (Jamos list at 89 dB), which is important since your room is large. The Jamos do look very nice, though. You might want to see if there is a dealer nearby where you could listen to the Paradigms.

J

juanito

Audiophyte
Thank you skers.
I am also considering a pair if Paradigm Bipolar speakers for $400. I am not familiar with that speaker. Is it a direct-reflecting speaker. Any opinions?

Juanito

S

skers_54

Full Audioholic
I'm not real familiar with bipole/dipole speakers, but I believe they are designed to provide a wider soundfield. Part of this would be increased reflections, as it emits sound in multiple directions. Bose calls their Lifestyle speakers direct/reflecting and I think the principle is the same. This is supposed to provide a more realistic surround experience from movies. I haven't personally used bipoles so I can't comment on how effective they are or how they compare to direct-radiating speakers. I've seen a thread about that, so you might want to search for it and see if it provides a more complete answer.

F

fox

Audioholic
I can't speak to Jamo, but I've been running Paradigm mains and a CC and have been well satisfied. But still, if at all possible, try to demo both of you can somehow, that's the only way to know. Let your ears do the deciding. Good luck.

R

r33v35

Audioholic Intern
I will tell you what. I have had the paradigm monitor 11's, 9's 7's and studio 60's. I have also had a number of center channels and dipol surrounds by paradigm. Every product i listen to from them has always amazed me. I just bough the studio 60's and thought they where amazing. Then i hooked up the monitor 7's in the same set up and they also amazed me sounded nearly as good as the studio's. Everything i have listed to from paradigm was amazing in relashion to the price. You wont be disappointed if you go with paradigm.

C

chest_burster

Enthusiast
I had a set of Jamo E800 bookshelves running off a low-end Yamaha receiver for four years. They were competent, but got super cluttered with dramatic material. I blamed the speaker and went hunting for something better, listing the E800s for $150 on Craigslist. I FINALLY got an offer after a month for $100, but he wanted to bring his amp (NAD C320BEE) over to get a better idea how they would sound in his system.

Within seconds of plugging them into his amp, I knew I'd had the speakers wrong all along. The tweeter is remarkable and as airy as I've heard, and they dug surprisingly deep for their size. They are a very nice set of speakers and he's thrilled with them, and the experience taught me the importance of even modest decent amplification. A watt is not a watt, in other words.

As for the Paradigms, they also make a great product. I haven't heard those particular speakers in my system, only in a listening room, but I think they're probably pretty kick-*** all the same.

Two really great choices.

F

french

Audiophyte
Boy, to bad you can't buy both! I've heard the Jamo but not your model. Jamo makes a very good speak, the only problem is that they are not a very popular speak in the good old US like they use to be years ago. But they are a very good speaker....have you gone to there web site and seen their reference speaker? Good stuff. Jamo.com

I have Paradigm in my set now and I also can tell you the Paradigms are very good and popular.

Its just to bad you can't by them both.

french

J

juanito

Audiophyte
:) Thanks to all who responded to my post.
I decided on the Paradigms. They sound great!
Next up a Velodyne sub for under $200?

Juanito

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis