Ive narrowed it down I think. 3 choices.

B

bkmerrill

Audioholic Intern
I am going to be getting a blu ray player in May/june and I'm wondering what would be the best option for me. Want reliability first, then blu ray picture quality, then dvd upconversion ability/pq (i will still watch a lot of standard dvd's), then audio quality (i definitely want it to decode all codecs though). From what i can tell most players dont differ much on blu ray pq or on aq. I do not need 7.1 analog outs or bitstreaming capabilities, i would just let the unit decode the audio itself. The options i have narrowed it down to are:

1) PS3--still a good overall choice, especially since i would use it for gaming some, although i would mostly use my xbox 360 for gaming and ps3 for movies.
2) oppo 83
4) pioneer 51fd OR one of the new pioneer players

which would you recommend based on my needs? i have a 1080p hdtv (sony xbr4 40") and sony htib (with hdmi, but will be upgrading in the next year or two to a better system). Im leaning toward the ps3 right now, but dont know enough about the others to decide. i like that the ps3 is sony, is fast, and that sony is good about keeping it up to date. The only reason i would want something else is if pq on dvd's (upconversion) would be noticeably different. Just how much better would the oppo's, samsungs, or pioneers upconversion be than the ps3? would i notice a difference? i DO have an xbox, so i dont need the gaming of the ps3, but i WOULD use it if i ended up getting that unit. Im thinking ill just do the ps3 for now, wait a couple years til the technology has advanced even more and prices come down a little and buy a high end player then.

Thanks for your help,

bkmerrill

J

jamie2112

Banned
I think you nailed it in your last sentence bk............the PS3 is a great player.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
+1 for PS3.

I am using it as my only source for disk based media (CD, DVD, BD). AND, I have it networked and use the inbuilt media browser to play stuff off the two networked laptops also.

B

bborzell

Audioholic Intern
I don't know how much PS3s cost nowadays, but if you are not buying one for gaming, I would wonder why the PS3 would be an option.

I have one of the early release OPPO BDP-83s. In addition to Blu-ray and the best up conversion for DVDs that I have seen, it does SACD, DVD-Audio, and HDCD. The sound quality is enough for me to remove three other players from my system.

Video quality for Blu-ray is outstanding. Video processing is handled by the same processor as is currently being used in the DVDO Edge.

At anywhere near $499, there is nothing that offers the combination of features and performance of the OPPO. It will very likely be available for the general public right about coinciding with your timeframe.

If you really want a PS3 for its gaming features, that's a different issue, but if you want the best audio and video available today in a BD player for up to 2-3 times the price of the OPPO, I suggest waiting for the OPPO release.

L

lexvid

Enthusiast
Plus +1 for the OPPO Bluray player.

I'm guessing it should be available (End of May/ early June) when you are ready to take the plunge...

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Go for the PS3 ,Think of all the use's its my choice for sure :)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
One word: Resistance

You can't play that on the Oppo.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
The PS3 is fine as a player but the fan can be distracting. The fan in my PS3 was pretty loud. Some people don't seem to have that issue with their units, though. I picked up a BD35 to play movies and I'm very happy with it. Plus, it's inexpensive compared to the Oppo, especially if you can pick it up on sale.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
The PS3 is fine as a player but the fan can be distracting. The fan in my PS3 was pretty loud. Some people don't seem to have that issue with their units, though. I picked up a BD35 to play movies and I'm very happy with it. Plus, it's inexpensive compared to the Oppo, especially if you can pick it up on sale.
I don't find it distracting, but I also have it behind me on a very open rack.

The BD35 will probably last longer.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I don't know how much PS3s cost nowadays, but if you are not buying one for gaming, I would wonder why the PS3 would be an option.

I have one of the early release OPPO BDP-83s. In addition to Blu-ray and the best up conversion for DVDs that I have seen, it does SACD, DVD-Audio, and HDCD. The sound quality is enough for me to remove three other players from my system.

Video quality for Blu-ray is outstanding. Video processing is handled by the same processor as is currently being used in the DVDO Edge.

At anywhere near $499, there is nothing that offers the combination of features and performance of the OPPO. It will very likely be available for the general public right about coinciding with your timeframe.

If you really want a PS3 for its gaming features, that's a different issue, but if you want the best audio and video available today in a BD player for up to 2-3 times the price of the OPPO, I suggest waiting for the OPPO release.
I do believe the OP said he was gaming:rolleyes: aside from that many use the network features:)

B

bborzell

Audioholic Intern
I do believe the OP said he was gaming:rolleyes: aside from that many use the network features:)
He actually said he would use it for "some" gaming but would use his Xbox for games and the PS3 for movies. $500 for "some gaming" seems a bit steep particularly when he has an Xbox that is his primary gaming machine.

Sounds pretty plainly like he is looking for a BD player first and foremost. :rolleyes::rolleyes: I see your rolled eyes and raise you.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
He actually said he would use it for "some" gaming but would use his Xbox for games and the PS3 for movies. $500 for "some gaming" seems a bit steep particularly when he has an Xbox that is his primary gaming machine.

Sounds pretty plainly like he is looking for a BD player first and foremost. :rolleyes::rolleyes: I see your rolled eyes and raise you.
Some gamming is still gaming. Welcome newb :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis