Isn't there a "man" code or something?

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
lsiberian: the roommate you wish you could have! You can move in any time you want, buddy. :D
Taping the positions: thanks for the brilliant idea, I'm gonna do just that! :)

How neurotic is this: Since starting out my HT, I've had dreams wherein I come home and find that that the HT is scattered all around the living room -- the front left is sitting next to the couch, the centre is over by the balcony, the sub is on the dining room table, etc. And in the dream, I know -- I know -- that the roommate moved everything. And I just stand there, staring in shock at the travesty.

I've had several dreams (more like nightmares) like this over the years. The shock of it actually happening in waking life probably added to my anger at the time! Nothing like a nightmare coming true, eh?

cheers,
supervij

Polygon

Polygon

Audioholic
That's happened to me before, so now I take measurements when I've got everything where I want it just in case. Then it's easy to move everything back, right where it goes.

I think you're completely right though. There are things you don't mess with. If someone is into something you just don't mess with their equipment be that a camera, car, computer, or A/V. I remember when I used to have my old system which had an E/Q and my nieces and nephews always messed with it which drove me nuts, but I can't blame them they're kids. Once I had an adult mess with it. Said he made it sound better. I about knocked him out.

If I were there would be some serious payback in store for that roommate. Just another reason I like to live alone.

How neurotic is this: Since starting out my HT, I've had dreams wherein I come home and find that that the HT is scattered all around the living room -- the front left is sitting next to the couch, the centre is over by the balcony, the sub is on the dining room table, etc. And in the dream, I know -- I know -- that the roommate moved everything. And I just stand there, staring in shock at the travesty.

I've had several dreams (more like nightmares) like this over the years. The shock of it actually happening in waking life probably added to my anger at the time! Nothing like a nightmare coming true, eh?

cheers,
supervij
Not at all. You spent a lot of time on it. I've put A LOT of work into one of my cars and I have nightmares where someone has stolen it. Happens at least once a month.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I moved all my stuff around on a druken UFC night one time too. The next day, I kicked my buttt and told myself never to do that again.

Senior Audioholic
Just as you don't mess with a man's car -- you just don't do it! -- isn't there some kind of "man" code that says you DON'T mess with a man's HT?!?!?
Yeah, but the "Man code" also gives free reign to mess with another mans stuff when you know that man will whine like a little B-I-T-C-H when someone messes with their stuff. :p

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, but the "Man code" also gives free reign to mess with another mans stuff when you know that man will whine like a little B-I-T-C-H when someone messes with their stuff. :p
Actually that is covered in Sub Section B of The Man Hole Code.
I'm pretty familiar with that. :rolleyes:

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Said whiner does have the right to appeal by laying the smack down on the one-who-messed.

Extra points for getting the one who messed to whine.

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
Commandment 1 of the Laws of Man:

Thou shalt not trifle with thy fellow man's fun gear.

This includes women, cars, liquor cabinet, home theater, computers, tools, and bathroom magazines... which are normally filled with content related to women, cars, liquor, home theater, computers, and tools. :D

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
I guess screwing around with my audio equipment is better than screwing around with my woman.

At least you can adjust your audio equipment to get it back the way you left it.

What? She has no factory reset procedure?

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Hey, thanks for the support, guys! Yeah, it was a pain getting everything back to where I liked it, and it took a while, but it's back. If nothing else, doing all this reminded me of how much I've been wanting to experiment with widening the space between my mains, so I've started doing that.

Can you believe the guy was in his bedroom until 6 pm?! Either he was seriously drunk last night or he was just trying to avoid me! In any case, I had a talk with him just now. I'm not the yelling type, and I'm not into revenge stuff (although the idea to use his toothbrush to clean the toilet made me giggle) -- I just explained to him that what he did wasn't acceptable and that you just don't mess with a man's stuff and I made him promise that he would never touch my gear ever again. I'm actually satisfied he won't; he seemed really apologetic. He really understood when I made the analogy of messing with another man's car! He remarked that this was the first time he'd ever seen me angry -- I told him that messing with my HT is one of very few ways to get me actually angry. Then I made him promise to make me a really nice meal sometime. :)

I'm glad I didn't confront him when I was torqued off. I have a tendency of saying things that I later regret when I'm that p*ss*d off. He's not a bad guy; he just made a bad call. And I have to live with him, so it's better to dispense with the yelling and cussing and revenging. After all, I am Canadian. ;)

And his boyfriend -- if he has one -- is safe. :D

cheers,
supervij

EDIT: Then again, if it happens again, it's shame on me. I might have to ask him to move out at that point . . .
Did he ever say why it happened?

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
Just as you don't mess with a man's car -- you just don't do it! -- isn't there some kind of "man" code that says you DON'T mess with a man's HT?!?!? I'm generally not one for using the Steam Vent, but I'm feeling pretty cheesed off right now. And where better to vent about this than with fellow Audioholics?

My roommate had friends over last night to watch some UFC stuff, and because I knew there was gonna be plenty of beer flowing, I told him that he's responsible for making sure NO ONE touches my HT. I emphasized how much everything cost and how much time it took to set things up exactly the way I wanted. So what happens when I come home?

The mains had been brought forward -- the left one about a foot and the right one a foot and a half, and their toe-in was now different. The subwoofer had moved from between the left main and the TV to behind the left main. And the entire couch had been pushed back, the left side more so.

I was so ticked off, but I didn't want to say anything with his pals still around, and besides they were drunk and probably a little stoned. (One of his pals had the gall to tell me that I had an amazing system. I almost replied, "Then why'd you f*ck it up?!?!?") I didn't inspect things too closely since they were all still there, so I don't know if there's been any actual damage or not. (Please, God, let the TV be okay!) I'm gonna have to let him have it today when he gets his butt out of bed.

Now I have to bring out the ol' measuring tape and try to recreate the setup I had before, which as I said earlier, was a lot of work to get exactly the way I liked. Okay, it was fun to do before, when I was just tweaking, but I fear this will be a pain in the asterisk.

Far as I'm concerned, he went against some kind of "man" code or something. I don't know what I'm gonna do about it (aside from letting him have it), but dammit, there are some things you just don't do!

arrggghhhh!!!!!
supervij
Pretty sure you are legally entitled to kill him now.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Did he ever say why it happened?
He did, and his answer surprised me. Prior to his pals coming over, I had told him that he would be 100% responsible if anything happened to my stuff. Apparently, he took that to mean the TV and just the TV. So after I left the apartment, he moved the mains further into the room so that there'd be no room to walk between the coffee table and the TV -- he didn't want his friends touching the TV. (Everything else was fair game, I suppose.) Why the subwoofer was moved, he had no idea. I assume it was done by one of his stoned & drunk friends for reasons only they would know.

His decision was the wrong one but his reason seemed a thoughtful one. He moved in about a month ago, and he said that he was so excited to have his friends over for UFC (they always convened at someone else's place) that he didn't really think about what he was doing.

I have to admit, even though I was never interested in getting back at him for doing it, I loved seeing the look on his face when I talked about it, like he thought I might ask him to move out! He apologized again and again and offered to help me set the gear back to the way I had it. I told him at one point that he could help: once the speakers are positioned where I want them, to leave the apartment for half an hour to an hour so that I can level match them. He actually said, "No problem. And thanks." Grateful that he could help out in some small way, I guess. :rolleyes:

The bottom line is that he promised he wouldn't touch any of the gear ever again. And I used this opportunity to move the mains a bit further apart to a full 30 degrees, and I gotta say I really like the 2-channel sound now! Wider soundstage, music seems like it has more room to breathe, and strangely enough, the bass response (I run the mains full range for 2-channel music) seems better: smoother, less boomy. So the net result is musical happiness. :)

cheers,
supervij

mperfct

mperfct

Audioholic Samurai
isn't it nice when you think you're going to have to throw down and it ends up being a simple mis-understanding or misplaced thoughtfulness?

Kinda like that one time when Alex went for "left-hand, red" and he ended up sticking his...sorry...back to the boring thread.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Kinda like that one time when Alex went for "left-hand, red" and he ended up sticking his...sorry...back to the boring thread.
Reminds me of this one time this woman asked me to help her throw her sister into the pool. Well the sister fought like a Comanche and would not go in for nothing which called for more grabbing and pushing right up until we had full labial contact. :eek:

Whoops !!! :D

She told my wife on me. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Dang, this is the wrong thread for this but a good grabbed her **** story goes good in any thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis