is using a battery backup a good idea?

selkec

selkec

Audioholic
I just bought the apc h-15 for 99. I dont believe it has a battery backup. I wanna know what should I get for backup that I could plug into it? When electric goes out I hate resetting my rec and tv and sometimes bluray settings. I had the tripp lite till today when I found out it was causing the humming so its gone. suggestions please

J

jamie2112

Banned
I myself would get one with a battery backup for sure......

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
I think it is essential for hard drive recorders (PCs, DVRs, etc.) and to protect projection lamp displays.
For other equipment it does fine for regular protection, but only the topline UPS put out a pure sine wave.
It is not a good idea to daisy-chain separate power protection and back-ups. They can have totally
different load requirements and react adversely during outages, brown-outs, etc.

I would not use an UPS for equipment that has high power demands, like power amps.
There's excellent surge protection for those made by Panamax, Furman, Zero Surge, etc.

selkec

selkec

Audioholic
SO what would you recommend since I just got the APC15? I guess I dont need a UPS but I just hate to reprogram all lost settings after a long power outtage. Or am I wrong and does the APC have a small UPS in it?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
a lot depends on your intended usage of a battery backup.

If it's just to retain your settings then it makes good sense.

If you think you can run your stuff off battery power for an extended (or even short) period of time, then no. There's not enough reserve to do any good. It should provide a bit of time to allow you to shut down the system propery.

I say this not to insult, but coming from an IT background, some people have unrealistic expectations of this. Many think they can just go merrily on the way as if nothing is wrong.

selkec

selkec

Audioholic
yes it is just to retain settings. Any suggestions? something cheap and possibly rack mountable.

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
How often do you expect outages or brownouts?
Need to ask yourself that for starters.

What I have done is split my electronics. I have a Furman power conditioner I use for my receiver and some other assorted electronics.

But my DVR and a few other things I have plugged into an APC UPS for back up.

I guess it depends on your particular equipment also. Sometimes not all functions are lost from memory..I know on my display, I lose the time function, and a couple of others, but picture/setup settings are retained unless I do a master reset.

selkec

selkec

Audioholic
Maybe Ill wait and see. Its only my tv and HK rec that lose settings with even a 2 sec outtage. Just gets annoying resetting them. But im hopeing when I get the umc or xmc pre/pro when they are released they wont lose settings so easliy.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis