is True DTS-HD that important

S

skasol

Junior Audioholic
I got a denon 2807 and a yamaha 2700, I just bought 2 blu-ray players and I noticed that neither one of my receivers decodes true HD audio signals.
I have def tech mythos speakers the ones you mount on the wall. am I missing too much, I don't want to buy new receivers, I just got these ones 8 months ago.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
what Blu-Ray players did you get? If your players can decode and output the formats via multi-channel PCM over HDMI then you are set. I take advantage of the lossless audio on HD-DVDs with my Yamaha 2700 and it sounds amazing.

S

skasol

Junior Audioholic
what Blu-Ray players did you get? If your players can decode and output the formats via multi-channel PCM over HDMI then you are set. I take advantage of the lossless audio on HD-DVDs with my Yamaha 2700 and it sounds amazing.
thanks,
I was under the impression that my yamaha 2700 couldn't do that, I have the ps3 for the denon and the sharp here is the link.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8551596&st=blu-ray+players&type=product&id=1188561244565

the sharp is hooked up to the yamaha.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
You should be good to go! The Sharp can decode DD+, TrueHD, and DTS HD.

S

skasol

Junior Audioholic
for some reason I thought the receiver had something to do with it too? am I missing something? I was about to buy a Denon 3808 because it says that it decodes true HD etc. what am I missing? thanks for all your help. please help me understand.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
As long as the receiver has HDMI and the player can decode the formats it will work.

A new receiver with the decoders built in will simply decode the sound in the receiver instead of the player.

It's like standard Dolby Digital on DVDs. When DVDs first came out and receivers didn't have DD decoders built in they put the decoders in the player and you had to connect it with multi-channel analog. It's a similar situation with the new formats except you can use HDMI instead.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
As long as the receiver has HDMI and the player can decode the formats it will work.

A new receiver with the decoders built in will simply decode the sound in the receiver instead of the player.

It's like standard Dolby Digital on DVDs. When DVDs first came out and receivers didn't have DD decoders built in they put the decoders in the player and you had to connect it with multi-channel analog. It's a similar situation with the new formats except you can use HDMI instead.
The player doesn't just have to have hdmi. It has to be able to do MPCM over hdmi. There are lower and mid range receivers out there that will not do this but still have hdmi. For example the lower end Onkyo's like the 505 or 575; Denon 1508, 1708; all have hdmi but will not do MPCM over it so you will get no sound. Cheapest receivers that will do it though are:

Yamaha RX-V661
Onkyo TX-SR605 (can decode too)
Sony STR-DG810 (cheapest out of all of them at <$300 online)
Harman Kardon AVR-247
Denon AVR-1908

The Sony is actually not bad for the price for what it can do. If you don't have some demanding speakers it can do a good job for the price. And then for the mid price of $500 I like the HK and Yamaha. Denon is too expensive for what you get and the Onkyo has build quality issues.

EDIT: Since you already have a Yammy 2700 you don't need another receiver. It can do MPCM over hdmi. You won't know what soundtrack is being outputted by the receiver though as it will only say PCM. But your BD player will tell you if it's outputting True-HD, Uncompressed PCM, or DTS-HD.

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
The sharp doesn't decode DTS HD MA. DTS HD only. There are very few Lionsgate movies with DTS HD. All Fox titles have HD MA. However, the 1.5mbps DTS core track from the Master track is not bad at all.

S

skasol

Junior Audioholic
The sharp doesn't decode DTS HD MA. DTS HD only. There are very few Lionsgate movies with DTS HD. All Fox titles have HD MA. However, the 1.5mbps DTS core track from the Master track is not bad at all.
thank you all, what is a good player that will decode this formats that doesn't cost a million dollars, something inexpensive. so I don't need to upgrade to denon 3808 correct my yamaha will do that, but my denon 2807won't.

how is the sony BDP-S500?
or the pioneer Elite I will much rather not pay that much money for a player, will the ps3 do the trick?

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
thank you all, what is a good player that will decode this formats that doesn't cost a million dollars, something inexpensive. so I don't need to upgrade to denon 3808 correct my yamaha will do that, but my denon 2807won't.

or the pioneer Elite I will much rather not pay that much money for a player, will the ps3 do the trick?
Honestly, the PS3 is the best BD player out there for its upgradeability and for offering excellent PQ. Even though it can't do DTS-HD right now, FOX and Sony have hinted that they are working on it. Plus the PS3 is known for having some of the best upscaling abilities out there. I think you would be very happy with a 40GB PS3.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Do most Blu-Ray titles not have a TrueHD track? I've been on the HD-DVD side so I don't know all the details about Blu-Ray but most of the HD-DVDs that I have watched had a TrueHD track. There shouldn't be any difference between DTS-HD and TrueHD since they are both lossless formats.

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
Do most Blu-Ray titles not have a TrueHD track? I've been on the HD-DVD side so I don't know all the details about Blu-Ray but most of the HD-DVDs that I have watched had a TrueHD track. There shouldn't be any difference between DTS-HD and TrueHD since they are both lossless formats.
All exclusive Blu-ray titles have PCM uncompressed audio, that is the unzipped version of True HD. There's some debate going on over at AVS where people are saying that DTS MA decoded actually seems to sound better than True HD. Particularly for Close Encounters of the Third Kind - which has booth. Technically, they should sound the same, but they don't, I guess.

skasol said:

Right now, there's 2 Blu-rays players that can allow you to listen to DTS MA. The Panasonic BD30 and Samsung 1400. The BD30 is the most advanced one as it is profile 1.1.

This is how HD audio works. It's no different from DVD tracks in how they're decoded.

Decode in player, or Decode in receiver. You can't do both simultaneously. To decode in receiver, you need a HDMI 1.3 receiver that has the decoders. Then you need a player that can bitstream the codecs to the receiver: "DTS MSTR" or "D TRUE HD" lights up on the display.

If you're decoding in player, that audio stream is now decoded into PCM audio and sent to your receiver as: "Multi Ch PCM"

As of right now there are no players that can decode DTS MA. However in a few months there will be, like the Pana BD50. With this player, you can keep your existing HDMI audio receiver. If you really want to hear DTS MA now, you must have BD30 or 1400.

S

skasol

Junior Audioholic
All exclusive Blu-ray titles have PCM uncompressed audio, that is the unzipped version of True HD. There's some debate going on over at AVS where people are saying that DTS MA decoded actually seems to sound better than True HD. Particularly for Close Encounters of the Third Kind - which has booth. Technically, they should sound the same, but they don't, I guess.

Right now, there's 2 Blu-rays players that can allow you to listen to DTS MA. The Panasonic BD30 and Samsung 1400. The BD30 is the most advanced one as it is profile 1.1.

This is how HD audio works. It's no different from DVD tracks in how they're decoded.

Decode in player, or Decode in receiver. You can't do both simultaneously. To decode in receiver, you need a HDMI 1.3 receiver that has the decoders. Then you need a player that can bitstream the codecs to the receiver: "DTS MSTR" or "D TRUE HD" lights up on the display.

If you're decoding in player, that audio stream is now decoded into PCM audio and sent to your receiver as: "Multi Ch PCM"

As of right now there are no players that can decode DTS MA. However in a few months there will be, like the Pana BD50. With this player, you can keep your existing HDMI audio receiver. If you really want to hear DTS MA now, you must have BD30 or 1400.
thank you all for the very important information.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The Sharp, Samsung, Panasonic can all send Bitstream DTS-MA & TrueHD, but they cannot internally decode them and output via analog.

Only the upcoming Denon DVD-3800BD can internally decode DTS-MA.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, Sony, which initially was exclusively PCM, seems to be migrating to TrueHD.

Lions Gate, which initially was exclusively DTS-MA, seems to be migrating to PCM.

Damn Fox is still DTS-MA exclusive!

You guys ever wonder what happens if some minor errors occur in the DECODING stage of TrueHD and DTS-MA?

I mean with PCM, there is absolutely no decoding to worry about. But what if the decoding of TrueHD and DTS-MA induce errors?

I guess it would NOT be the identical of the original master audio, would it?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Thank God!

I thought I was going to have to spend $1,600 on that Denon BD!

But $600 (street price probably lower) for that DMP-BD50 is awesome!!!
I have read rumors that the BD50 will be about the same price as the current BD30, and the BD30 will come down a bit when the BD50 is released. But as for now it's all speculation.

D

Davidt1

Full Audioholic
Does this mean I have to connect the HDMI cable from my dvd player to the receiver to listen to this lossless audio? It won't send the signal over coaxial or toslink cable? Also, this works with 5.1 setup too? Thanks.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis