Is this a good idea?

S

SANTI

Audiophyte
Thanks for your help.
A new retreat for the whole family is in the making and I've been awarded with the chance of having my listening room. The architect just sent me his first drawing. I told him to try and design with a non-parallel wall.
Dims are in meters ( 4.20 meters = 13.8 ft ; 4.00 meters= 13.2 ft; height will be 9.20 ft).
I think that length must be higher from 13.8 to 16 ft..
But my main question is if the angled wall will help with the sound or not?
Of course, I am planning to seat away from the back wall.
I haven't decided on the speakers but I think I'd go with small/medium monitors.

Here are some pics:
image2.JPG

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks for your help.
A new retreat for the whole family is in the making and I've been awarded with the chance of having my listening room. The architect just sent me his first drawing. I told him to try and design with a non-parallel wall.
Dims are in meters ( 4.20 meters = 13.8 ft ; 4.00 meters= 13.2 ft; height will be 9.20 ft).
I think that length must be higher from 13.8 to 16 ft..
But my main question is if the angled wall will help with the sound or not?
Of course, I am planning to seat away from the back wall.
I haven't decided on the speakers but I think I'd go with small/medium monitors.

Here are some pics:
View attachment 18381
I would not angle one wall. That will unbalance everything. The most important thing is a dominant dimension. Dimension like 12 to 14 ft with a long dimension of 20 to 24 ft. At least 8 ft ceilings. Screen and main speakers go in the short dimension.

S

SANTI

Audiophyte
Thanks! I understand your point but being this a room for only 2 channel and not a HT, would it be a negative issue?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thanks! I understand your point but being this a room for only 2 channel and not a HT, would it be a negative issue?
Stereo/MultiChannel it will be the same thing.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Ye it will be a big negative. If you are building a new space, why not at least build it for multi channel? If you are going to watch movies, then I strongly recommend you have a center channel, two good right and left mains and a couple of good subs at least. I would wire in the surrounds. By the way technology changes and so any wires you run put in conduit, so you can pull new wires with a snake and don't have to take down dry wall. The two commonest mistakes are not running conduit so you can change wires, and not putting conduit where you might need wires in the future. The other huge mistake is TVs above fireplaces.

I also strongly advise making the seating at least two tier. If you click on my posst at the bottom you can see all this.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Santi,
My two cents: non-parallel good (but not required), non-symmetric bad (allow only if unavoidable, not by design).
- Think of the concert halls you have seen or attended. In most cases, the walls are non-parallel (opening further apart as you go away from the stage), yet they are symmetric in relation to the center axis of the room.
Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Thanks for your help.
A new retreat for the whole family is in the making and I've been awarded with the chance of having my listening room. ...
Welcome.
Is this room a retreat for the whole family? Or, are they in another retreat room?
Looks rather small for the whole family to listen to 2 channel music, no? Or 2 channel movies would not be worth it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis