Is there really a difference between DVD players

B

BG3

I am just about to purchase a Marantz DV6400 or VC5400, both players are in the high $400 range. Other than DVD-A and SACD I am hard pressed to see a difference in specs between the Marantz players and players in the low $100's. Also it is real hard to do a side by side comparison between Marantz sound/picture quality and low cost players because they are rarely sold in the same showroom.

As a new person to the world of DVD could anyone tell me if more expensive means better? Is there really a difference that is worth $200-300?

As background this unit will be hooked to a Marantz receiver and played on a DLP HDTV.

Any help would be welcome.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
BG3 said:
I am just about to purchase a Marantz DV6400 or VC5400, both players are in the high $400 range. Other than DVD-A and SACD I am hard pressed to see a difference in specs between the Marantz players and players in the low $100's. Also it is real hard to do a side by side comparison between Marantz sound/picture quality and low cost players because they are rarely sold in the same showroom.

As a new person to the world of DVD could anyone tell me if more expensive means better? Is there really a difference that is worth $200-300?

As background this unit will be hooked to a Marantz receiver and played on a DLP HDTV.

Any help would be welcome.
More expensive might buy you more frills :)
CD, DVD players have become a commodity component. So cheap and so good, that you buy the less expensive and throw it away if it fails outside of warranty. ;)
If you are into multi channel audio, but a universal player.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

There's definately a difference in image quality between DVD players. How obvious it is depends on what your watching and what you're using for a display. At a very minimum, the very cheapest miss some features I consider essential. One example is a video memory buffer- you might not realize how obvious layer changes are until you get a player with a vid buffer and never notice it again.

B

BG3

Thank you for the reply. The display I am hoping to go with is a 51" DLP sometime in the next 6-12 months. Most DVD players I have looked at do not tell you if they have a video buffer, is there a way to tell? Also do the $100+ players usually have a video buffer?

I am grateful for the initial input, and would welcome any additional thoughts on what the difference might truly be between a Marantz DV6400 for $450+ and a Panasonic multi-disc unit for $139.

Thank you!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis