Is There ANY Reason I should hold off on Getting KRP-600M???

• Thread starter FirstReflection
  • Start date
F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
So I'm just about ready to order a Pioneer KRP-600M. Price is good, but still pretty darn high (it's a 60" Kuro, afterall!)

I'm basically just doing a double-check to make sure that I really, REALLY want this TV :p It's tough to commit to spending this much! (around $3500)

So I'm thinking, I COULD wait and grab one of the large Panasonic V10 plasmas. But one issue for me is that I will be using this display in a lit room most of the time. Not bright, but lit and the Panny anti-reflective screen surface is not quite as good as the Pioneer and the Panny black levels wash out while the Pioneer retains better black levels in a lit room.

I'm pretty much convincing myself to go for the KRP-600M, but it's just second-thoughts racing through my brain!

If I get it, it'll be awesome. It'll last me for years and likely never be out-performed. It's the size I want. It's at a price I can afford. I watch a lot of TV and movies. I'm not happy with my current 50" Samsung plasma.

Should I do it? Golly gulp. This'll be my most expensive TV yet! But it could be glorious and really add to my enjoyment of my favorite activity for years to come.

Nothing else better right now - I know that much. But if I wait? Will Panny improve their anti-reflective screen surface and develop better black level retention in a lit room?

Arrgh, this is tough! Convince me! One way or the other!

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Bah! I just can't bring myself to place the order just yet. It comes down to two things, really.

On the one hand, the money for this display could probably be better spent. On the other hand, I'm basically worried that if I don't buy now, I'll be missing my opportunity to get, what could be, the best display for several more years to come.

To put it plainly, I don't believe that LCD will ever quite match all of the stellar characteristics of this Kuro. And I honestly don't believe that Panasonic will ever quite match this quality either because I think they are more focused on being price competitive.

So I'm thinking this could honestly be the last chance to snap up a display, the likes of which we won't see again until something like OLED is made in this large a screen size for this reasonable a price.

So let me put it this way:

if I can be genuinely convinced that there will be a display of equal (or, at least, very close to equal) quality within the next year or two, then I would hold off because this money could certainly go towards other things right now. But if this is as good as it's going to get for the next few years, then I ought to bite the bullet and buy now because I would regret it if I missed my chance.

What say you, kind people? Do you believe there will be a large display that can rival this Kuro within the next year or two? Or do you think that Kuro performance will remain unmatched for a long time yet to come?

Last edited:
F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
It's here!

I went ahead and bought it - the Pioneer KRP-600M 60" Kuro Plasma!

Funny story: after so much searching online and looking into the cost of shipping and importing from the US into Canada, I tried looking for a local dealer using the Pioneer Canada website.

Came across ONE local dealer listing the KRP-600M for sale. A place called "Haney Sewing & Sound". Yup..."sewing"...wonder why I didn't think to look there...lol

Anywho, gave them a call and sure enough, they had TWO left in stock! I called every other local dealer that was listed as a Kuro dealer on the Pioneer Canada website. Not a single one had the KRP-600M. They all had the PRO-141FD and PRO-151FD, but at a minimum $1000 more than the KRP!

So I got over to Haney Sewing as fast as I could. Worked out the price with delivery. Paid about $4200 Can after tax. Yes, that seems high compared to the $3000 price in the US, but I added it up:

$3000 US = about $3300 Can after conversion. I was looking at about another $500 US to ship it to Canada. And then there would have been duty and taxes at the border.

All told, I paid the same or less than it would have cost to import it and I didn't have the extreme worry of FedEx or DHL handling this fragile Monitor! There are so many reports of cracked screens that I jumped at the chance to buy it locally!

So now, I'm just finishing up my theatre room and waiting for my Peerless ST670 SmartMount to arrive!

Here are some early pics:

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From KRP-600M 60&quot; Kuro Arrives!</td></tr></table>

Last edited by a moderator:
S

smitty78

Audioholic Intern
Nice! You are now a proud owner of the best HDTV ever! I didn't realize how thin they were. Looks almost as thin as the Sammy LEDs.

*TIP* I read somewhere that if you use teflon tape around the base of the AC plug and form a "damper", it will help the display run cooler. It's worth a shot for the couple of bucks that the teflon tape cost. I hear the Kuros run a bit hotter than others. Some folks use this method on all their equipment for better performance. I tried it on my AVR and it does seem to run cooler.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Thanks, smitty :D

I really did debate spending this much money. My theatre room isn't even ready for the display yet and this is more than I've ever spent on any piece of home theatre gear, ever! But I just looked at what else is out there and where I foresee things going in the next few years; added that to the knowledge that these Kuro displays are disappearing fast and no more are being manufactured, and I came to the conclusion that NOW is the time to snap up one of these babies!

So I did :D

It is a ridiculously thin plasma. I believe the LED backlit Samsung LCDs claim to be even thinner, but honestly - at some point I'd like to be able to lift the display without fearing that it will snap like a cracker! lol

When you closely examine this KRP-600M, everything just screams precision, polish and perfection. For being so thin and light-weight, it is solid and does not bend or flex at all. The hand-hold grips on the back are perfectly placed and actually make lifting the 110 lbs, skinny rectangle quite easy! The inputs are all down-facing, easy to access and well-spaced. And the front bezel is a thing of simplistic beauty with the few control buttons hidden either below or on the side of the frame.

The absolute best part to me though is that, regardless or viewing conditions, this plasma just outperforms any other display! In a bright room, the anti-reflective screen does a better job than any other plasma and better than any of the oh-so-common glossy-screened LCDs. In a dark room, the deep, deep black levels make the display disappear and images seem to appear and hang in space out of nowhere! If you are sitting way off to one side, the colours do not shift, the image does not wash out and there is no strange "double image" as is seen with some of the Panny plasmas that have the "double-sheet-of-glass" design. And from dead on, it just delivers a stunningly crisp, colour-accurate, intensely contrasty image that delivers on the promise of "looking through a window".

So I have no regrets! We only live once. And I know, for a fact, that I am the sort of person who truly would not have been happy with anything less. To me, this has been money well-spent and it is something that I will enjoy immensely for many years to come. With all other displays, I always find something to complain about. But this monitor satisfies every facet I was looking for in a display.

If only I had the money to grab a companion KRP-500M 50" for the bedroom :p But that would truly put me in debt for a couple of months and I don't really watch TV in the bedroom - it's just on as "background" noise or something with which to relax before falling asleep. For those purposes, I think I can "suffer" with my "old" 50" Samsung plasma ;)

C

clouso

Banned
It's here!

I went ahead and bought it - the Pioneer KRP-600M 60" Kuro Plasma!

Funny story: after so much searching online and looking into the cost of shipping and importing from the US into Canada, I tried looking for a local dealer using the Pioneer Canada website.

Came across ONE local dealer listing the KRP-600M for sale. A place called "Haney Sewing & Sound". Yup..."sewing"...wonder why I didn't think to look there...lol

Anywho, gave them a call and sure enough, they had TWO left in stock! I called every other local dealer that was listed as a Kuro dealer on the Pioneer Canada website. Not a single one had the KRP-600M. They all had the PRO-141FD and PRO-151FD, but at a minimum $1000 more than the KRP!

So I got over to Haney Sewing as fast as I could. Worked out the price with delivery. Paid about $4200 Can after tax. Yes, that seems high compared to the $3000 price in the US, but I added it up:

$3000 US = about $3300 Can after conversion. I was looking at about another $500 US to ship it to Canada. And then there would have been duty and taxes at the border.

All told, I paid the same or less than it would have cost to import it and I didn't have the extreme worry of FedEx or DHL handling this fragile Monitor! There are so many reports of cracked screens that I jumped at the chance to buy it locally!

So now, I'm just finishing up my theatre room and waiting for my Peerless ST670 SmartMount to arrive!

Here are some early pics:

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From KRP-600M 60&quot; Kuro Arrives!</td></tr></table>

congrats dude...you must be trhilled to be the owner of that awesome tv!...

Last edited by a moderator:
njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
Buy it!

KRP-600M -- I got the PRO-151FD but probably should have got the KRP--600M because I am not using the speakers or the TV tuner. I am just using it a monitor and it is awesome.

The thing is I am enough of an audiophile, that I know I always would have wondered "what if ..". :D now I have no "What if..." wonders because I got the "if" ..the Best :)

No buyers remorse or disappointment.

Good luck!

NJ

J

JRandall

Audiophyte
Congrats!

I have a PDP 5020 and it is fantastic. I will never regret this purchase. Have fun with your new TV. Now if I could just get speakers and a receiver, I will be complete.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Thanks, JRandall!

I was thinking, isn't it funny how it's entirely possible to spend $3000 on a TV, only to wind up regretting the purchase; while at the same time, spending a thousand dollars more results in no regrets?

Just goes to show that value isn't just about the price itself, doesn't it :D

I'll be using my Onkyo 705 and Energy RC-mini speakers with HSU VTF-3 MK2 sub for the time being. But this Kuro experience has convinced me that I really must settle for no less than the RBH Signature Reference speakers that I truly want :D

C

cinemaguru

Audiophyte
Hi FirstReflection!
Good for you man!!! Smart choice. I just got mine as well!
You are right about the choice -- this is THE BEST! TV on the market. LCD's are not touching it! Plus, it's the same exact piece as the Elite PRO-141FD, except it has only 2 HDMI inputs, but if you are using a receiver you only really need one :).

Moreover here is a suggestion for you: you can professionally calibrate your KRP-600M to full ISFccc standard. You can find the info on controlcal.com
Folks at Avindemand.com (btw, I posted a reply to your thread on their company) hooked me up with this for free, as I bought a lot of stuff from them.

One thing to keep in mind though: this patch and calibration will void the original manufacturers warranty. So you might want to wait a year untill it actually expires.

Bottom line, Great monitor, Very decent price for it, and if you wait about 2-3 month - I'm sure all of these will be gone and if some will still be around I'm sure the price would be much higher, as there will be no supply and huge demand.

Enjoy
Rich

Y

Yamaheart

Full Audioholic
Wow man, congrat. I cant wait to get my hands on the Pana Tc-P65v10 now. Still gonna wait till Thanksgiving or Christmas when the price is right....

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm not happy with my current 50" Samsung plasma.
Well, that took care of that, didn't it? How far away is your seating position? I'm pretty happy for you. We have had a 50" Panny for somewhere over a year and the step up from a 2nd tier 32" LCD was so dramatic that we were in love with the upgrade. Now it just seems normal and I know that from 9' away I could easily do with more.

I was recently in a showroom where they had a 54" LCD Toshiba (240Hz :rolleyes:) for around $2,000 and as the sales lady was telling me how Plasmas didn't last as long as LCD, I saw that LCD motion blur/jitter/artifacts (hey, if they don't have to have their vocabulary words homework done, neither do I). I haven't ever seen that on the plasma.

I'm of the opinion that better and cheaper are always on the horizon but if you don't jump in at some 'now' point you'd still be rockin' a 27" Zenith CRT. $3,500 ?!? :eek: ... maybe you should have waited. :D

Last edited:
F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Thanks all,

Alex, my seating position is a mere 7.6 feet, creating the 32 degree field of view that I'm after :D

Getting this KRP-600M led to a spending spree :p I upgraded my old, dinky, foam room treatments to a Room Package from GIK Acoustics. I upgraded my HSU VTF-3 MK2 subwoofer to dual Epik Sentinel subs :eek: I'm still waiting on the Epiks subs to arrive, actually. But they are on the way! I have two Auralex GRAMMA risers waiting patiently for them :)

I got a new TV stand to hold everything. And I just bought an awesome, new, reclining, black leather sofa that will be delivered on Tues. Seems crazy, but I think I'm more excited about that sofa than anything else now :p Ordered a black leather footstool for the center seat too, since it's the typical reclining sofa where only the two outer seats actually recline.

The theater room is all carpeted and painted now, so I will be setting up everything soon! I will be sure to post lots of pics once everything is finally delivered and I get to set everything up!

Still using my Energy RC-Mini / RC-Mini Center speakers for now. I've spent well more than enough as it is for the time being! But I plan to upgrade those eventually. I was going to get some RBH SE/R speakers, but I've changed my mind. After hearing the Focal Solo6 and Twin6 in an actual studio, I plan to upgrade to 3 Solo6 across the front now. Since the Solo6 are self-powered, I will be able to use my Onkyo TX-SR705 a little longer. The RBH SE/R speakers really would have demanded a new amp. But since the amps are built into the Solo6, that takes care of that :D

Fun times...and a lighter wallet :p

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I plan to upgrade to 3 Solo6 across the front now.
Get ready for the big influx of rep points for validating jostenmeat's purpose for being. :D

Hey, I'm curious how you came about your brainiac status with all this A/V stuff.
With most it's just a matter of OCD but maybe you work in the field?

It's great to hear about new toys. Looking forward to the pic's. :)

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
lol - jostenmeat has been all over me when it comes to audio advice lately for some reason. He was saying how he absolutely hates the Focal/JM Lab speakers that he has heard - although, those were the consumer versions and not the Pro monitors like the Solo6. He is also in total disagreement with using dipole surround speakers mounted 2-3 feet above seated ear height apparently. I can't quite figure that one out, but none-the-less, he called that surround speaker setup, "antiquated" :p I stand firm on the use of dipole surrounds mounted up high though. Monopoles at ear level are distracting and easily located. The whole idea of movie surrounds is that they aren't supposed to draw your attention away from the screen. So they are supposed to be diffuse and not very localizable. I've got THX, Dolby, DTS and all of the Audioholics editors in agreement with me, so I feel pretty comfortable on this particular subject :p

I don't work in the A/V field. I've just been an enthusiast since I was about 16 is all. I've worked at a few A/V stores and big box stores in the past, but those mostly served to teach me not to trust most stores - lol

I fit the description of Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder, but not straight OCD. OCPD basically means that when something is "out of place" or "wrong", it ruins my enjoyment. That is certainly true with me! I really can't stand going to the movie theater because there is always some kind of nuisance that bugs the hell out of me :p

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
OCPD basically means that when something is "out of place" or "wrong", it ruins my enjoyment.
Uh-oh. I have trouble understanding why everybody isn't like this.

Jostenmeat is a huge fan of a matched front sound stage. He must have OCPD too. :D :p

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
He is also in total disagreement with using dipole surround speakers mounted 2-3 feet above seated ear height apparently. I can't quite figure that one out, but none-the-less, he called that surround speaker setup, "antiquated" :p I stand firm on the use of dipole surrounds mounted up high though. Monopoles at ear level are distracting and easily located. The whole idea of movie surrounds is that they aren't supposed to draw your attention away from the screen. So they are supposed to be diffuse and not very localizable. I've got THX, Dolby, DTS and all of the Audioholics editors in agreement with me, so I feel pretty comfortable on this particular subject :p
I never say that dipoles are undesired, but only that they should be used if specifically desired for that effect. What I say otherwise is that monopoles are perfectly adequate for surround use. Dipoles/bipoles are a personal preference thing, but again, not necessary for perfectly fine surround reproduction.

As Mr. Winer explains the "antiquated" use of high surround placement, and I'll grab a few quotes, some from over a year ago.

"That's old school, and is derived from movie theaters years ago when the rear channel was mono. The idea was to put the rear speaker(s) up high so the sound bounces around the room before it reaches your ears to create more ambience that also has some stereo width. But what works in a large theater doesn't necessarily work in a home-sized room. More to the point, these days movies have all the needed ambience already embedded in the soundtracks."

"Why do you believe the number of people in the room has anything to do with the principles I explained above? If anything, having speakers high up and angled down works only for one seating location because all other locations are off-axis. The only way to have all listeners on-axis - which yields the flattest response - is with the speakers at ear level."

"Yes, you are missing something. A recording made in a venue already contains the natural ambience of that venue. Or, if the recording was made in a studio, all desired ambience was added electronically. Either way, the point is that the sound as intended by the engineers is already present in the recording. Adding more from the room you listen in can only degrade the sound. Especially if the listening room is small and adds a "small room" sound."

Again, of course, there is no arguing personal preference. What can't be argued is that a greater offaxis angle to the speaker will result in poorer accuracy. All ambient effects are already in the tracks. If they want to make it sound like a large resonant hall, it will, and no you don't have to build your HT in the bathroom to increase that effect.

Really in a nutshell, I am perfectly fine that someone, anyone, would prefer that their surrounds are higher because they like it that way. What I don't like is when it is recommended to others because they think it is a superior setup for a fact, when I can argue that till the cows come home.

You can buy a tube amp because you like it, I won't argue that, but I'll say something when people recommend it because they think it is superior for a fact. Especially when the person receiving the advice believes everything being told to him is true (which can be easy to do, particularly with the posts of the knowledgeable First Reflection).

I actually think the ability to put surround at ear level is somewhat rare, because most seats have backs that are rather high. Then you have issues with multiple rows of course. I have sides and rears that are all above ear level, but surround effects never sounded as good as when they were all just a little over ear level, at the time I did not have a dedicated HT. They indeed were just slightly higher simply because of furniture. Common situation. Right now, all of the surrounds are significantly higher, like 3ft, above the front row, which is where I sit most of the time, and for scope film viewing (without a full house) almost all of the time. Again, I need to get it over the second row, I have both ergonomic and aesthetic issues to deal with, and one of the sidewalls is treated right where the "ideal" surround placement would be anyhow. I put "ideal" in quotation marks because multi-row represents compromises multiplied.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
I get your reasoning, jostenmeat. But I feel the same way about describing how I believe the surround speakers should be placed above ear level and not aimed towards the listeners as you do about describing how you believe the speakers really should be at ear level. That is to say, when I see someone recommending that the surround speakers be placed at ear level, I feel the need to pipe up and recommend the higher placement :p I guess you and I will be popping up with our contradictory advice in a lot of threads :p

Where a lot of our disagreement seems to be stemming from is our difference of opinion of what the surround channels are meant to achieve for movies and TV. When you are describing (or agreeing with Mr. Winer's description) of gleaning accuracy and - I'm assuming - detail from the surround channels, there seems to be a bit of leap in thinking being made to where the surround channels are heard in a way that is more similar to the front channels.

With a direct path from surround speakers to ears, the "wrap-around" effect of the surround channels is lost. Instead, it is replaced with localizable, "pin-point" sound effects that - as I mentioned - can be distracting and draw the viewers' attention away from the screen up front.

In the home setting, it is even more important to prevent a direct path from the surround speakers to the listener's ears due to the much closer proximity to the speakers than you would have in a full-sized theater. It is entirely conceivable that the outer seats on a couch could have the surround speakers just a couple of feet away. If those surround speakers are at ear level or they are monopoles aimed at the listeners, they would become very distracting and draw far too much attention to themselves.

I agree with you, jostenmeat, that monopoles can make perfectly good surround speakers. In fact, in many room types, I recommend monopole surround speakers over dipole speakers because if the room is open at the back or open on one side, the dipole speaker will be unable to reflect its sound in the intended way. But I always recommend that the surround speakers be placed above ear level so that they are never distracting and, instead, create the intended ambiance and "wrap-around" effect.

This is why I also describe it being far less necessary for the surround speakers to perfectly match the front speakers in timbre and voice. You are completely correct that with the surround speakers up high, they will not have the same accuracy or timbre as the front speakers regardless.

I can see how several people who are actually making the recordings might be trending towards a "new school" approach to mixing, however. We have these wonderful, discrete, 7 channel formats now and it does make total sense to consider using the 4 surround positions in a different fashion than the "ambiance and wrap-around" tradition. Basically, more detail can be added to the soundtrack as a whole if the surround and surround back channels are utilized in a new - and some might say "better" - way that incorporates more discrete detail. And that would require speakers that closely match the front speakers positioned at ear level, just as you describe. The problem there is that the listening environment really has to allow for proper placement, including proper distance between the speakers and the listeners. Even with greater detail and discrete effects in the surround and surround back channels, the listeners' attention should still be primarily focused on the screen in front of them.

So I think I have a pretty good grasp on your reasoning. And it does make sense. But there has to be a combination of both a mix that was made with the intention of greater discrete detail in the surrounds plus a home theater with proper speaker placement and distance. Almost all full-sized dubbing studios still make use of multiple surround speakers on each side wall and on the back wall - all of which are above seated ear height. Whether it is a case of sticking with tradition or simply being "held back" by the fact that this is the way virtually all full-sized movie theaters are set up, I do not know. But the result is that the surround channels are still primarily being used for ambiance and "wrap-around" and the diffusion of multiple speakers placed up high remains the standard in full-sized studios and theaters.

Perhaps things will slowly change. The surround music formats demonstrated how discrete surround channels with the speakers at ear level can still deliver ambiance, but also greater discrete detail. But again, proper distance had to be maintained between the speakers and the listeners, and this is a problem in many rooms. For the time being, when a person is primarily listening to movies and TV, and less so to surround format music, I still recommend to them that they follow - what is most easily explained as - THX guidelines. For now, that is still the creation of a diffuse and "wrap-around" soundfield created by placing the surround and surround back speakers up high and sitting in the "null" of dipole surround speakers so that there is, in fact, no direct path from the speaker drivers to the listeners' ears. I'm not saying that can't be improved upon with a newer approach to mixing and an altered standard for speaker placement. But I still find this "traditional" standard very effective. And I actually think it makes even more sense in the home because of the limited space and the likelihood of the surround speakers being quite close to the listeners.

I'm sure we'll continue to have fun debates over this :)

Last edited:
F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Uh-oh. I have trouble understanding why everybody isn't like this.

Jostenmeat is a huge fan of a matched front sound stage. He must have OCPD too. :D :p
I truly believe that A LOT of home theater fans have OCPD :p

All of the guys over at Engadget HD sure do. So do all of the Audioholics editors :D

It's a made-up "disorder" in my opinion, anyway. We used to just be called "detail oriented" or "picky", but now it has to be called a "disorder" :p I agree, I think the people who are NOT bothered are the weird ones! How can you go to a movie theater; have people with their feet up on the backs of seats; have people with their cell phones open and the bright, little screens moving about; have a blown tweeter in one of the surround speakers; and a visible seam in the screen with a stain from where someone threw their pop; how the heck can you take all of that crap and still enjoy the movie?! I can't.

Maybe it really is a disorder though, 'cause my description of "enjoyment" has pretty much just become "freedom from annoyance" :p

Last edited:
J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
And for full disclosure, I don't think of this issue being of great priority at all. There are plenty of bigger fish to fry. Having the front three identical vertical arrangement has so much more impact, compared to the differing height of a couple of feet with surrounds.

I hate anyone who gets to pull that off, so for full disclosure, I will soon hate you! :(

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis