Is there an easy proportional way to defend high-cost sub purchases?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You make a good point in how MUCH bass do people really want? There are times I play scenes just to see how they sound. But I never listen like that day to day at all. And frankly, having bass that overpowers speakers doesn't sound right so you have to proportionately dial in. And then unless you are listening amazingly loud, I'm guessing I use a fraction of what I have. So what difference would someone see if they aren't pushing the limits of their subs (assuming they have generally good subs and are dialed in appropriately)

It's kind of an expensive experiment to find out and a disproportionate investment vs what some might have in their speakers, receiver, amp etc.
I can’t recall if I ever admit it, but a big part of spending a lot (back when I was spending crazy) was for the thrill and excitement of being able to do it - for bragging rights and all that jazz. Some people thought I was cool and some people thought I was foolish. It’s all fun and games until the honeymoon period is over and then I realized it’s time to find the HT I can “marry” and be truly happy with “forever”, not just to “party” with for the weekend.

Like they say, whom are we trying to impress? Hopefully just ourselves and not everyone else.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I can’t recall if I ever admit it, but a big part of spending a lot (back when I was spending crazy) was for the thrill and excitement of being able to do it - for bragging rights and all that jazz. Some people thought I was cool and some people thought I was foolish. It’s all fun and games until the honeymoon period is over and then I realized it’s time to find the HT I can “marry” and be truly happy with “forever”, not just to “party” with for the weekend.

Like they say, whom are we trying to impress? Hopefully just ourselves and not everyone else.
I think I could get some marginal improvement replacing my subs but I just don't know how much.

But for me anyways, I'm really happy that I'm really pleased with my 3 setups in my house (bedroom, living room, upstairs theater/top of stairs room).

You mention bragging rights. For me it was sometimes the thrill of the chase or collecting which is fun but at some point, it's nice to be at peace with what you have when it sounds really good. But it took getting a few sets up speakers for one setup and realizing what I like to make me want to stop buying more! (at least for now)

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Being in car audio for many years told me how much bass people really want....they want so much that if they cant hear anything but bass, they grin from ear to busted ear.

Many many, home systems I've heard suffer the same fate..bass/bass/bass and nothing but bass.
It really gets to the point where its comedic.
I agree, sometimes you have to turn down the levels to ensure a nice smooth balanced sound. (and in my case when I watch, I can't have it super loud or my family can't sleep!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis