Is there a decided advantage to separate amp/preamp/processor vs. integrated receiver

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Wow, Apparently your somewhat misguided in your outlook towards AVRs. Most people blame an AVR for cheap quality because they:

1.) Stick their AVRS in a confined enclosure with next to little airflow and wonder why it died prematurely.
2.) Choose speakers whose load impedance is beyond the AVRs intended design capabilities.
3.) Try to fill overlty large rooms with high volumes..again something an AVR is not designed for.

Its like owning a corvette to try and pull cars out of ditches.....it won't last long... applies to item 2 and 3.

There is clearly good reasons to use separate power amps. However these reasons preclude "cheap junk" which they are not. :rolleyes: . Its very clear from this thread and others like it that AVRs are reliable and will be if they are uswed within their intended design goals.
I already said in a subsequent post in this thread that perhaps I turned up the contrast a little too much. But since you're pestering me, I'll only give a little on the junk comment, especially with AVRs going from 5 to 7 to 9 Class AB channels, and in a box that generally weighs less than 30lbs. Even the vaunted Denon 4311, going for $1600 on Amazon, is only about 16x17x7 and weighs 38 lbs. I'm not blaming many AVRs for cheap quality because people abuse or misuse them, it's because I looked inside some of these chassis and saw compromised designs to fit all of that stuff into one box. If that meets peoples' needs, fine, but let's not confuse meeting needs with relative quality differences.

Your Corvette analogy is too contrived, just saying.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I already said in a subsequent post in this thread that perhaps I turned up the contrast a little too much. But since you're pestering me, I'll only give a little on the junk comment, especially with AVRs going from 5 to 7 to 9 Class AB channels, and in a box that generally weighs less than 30lbs. Even the vaunted Denon 4311, going for $1600 on Amazon, is only about 16x17x7 and weighs 38 lbs. I'm not blaming many AVRs for cheap quality because people abuse or misuse them, it's because I looked inside some of these chassis and saw compromised designs to fit all of that stuff into one box. If that meets peoples' needs, fine, but let's not confuse meeting needs with relative quality differences.

Your Corvette analogy is too contrived, just saying.
I missed your subsequent post.

Looking for a power amp build and circuits in AVR is just unrealistic. The right tool for the job is no compromise on quality and using a tool beyond its design capbility is also no reflection on design quality.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I only take issue with statement number 1. Itssimply not true. Other than Onkyo which suffers from shoddy quality, all other receivers have been very reliable. I have one over ten years old that is till working great. The other is 5 years old with no signs of quitting. Take a poll and see how many people have receivers and how many people have had to replace them.
I have had owned Sony, Sony ES, Yamaha, Denon (X4) AVR and have not experience any issues. As far as I know, my friends and relatives have never experience problems with theirs either. Not sure if that counts for more than one vote.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I like separates for a few reasons.
1 AVR's tend to have break down issues

I only take issue with statement number 1. Itssimply not true. Other than Onkyo which suffers from shoddy quality, all other receivers have been very reliable. I have one over ten years old that is till working great. The other is 5 years old with no signs of quitting. Take a poll and see how many people have receivers and how many people have had to replace them.
My onky 939 is still working and in the system.:D Much more than 10 years old. My 705 is still working too.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis