is there a better deal than the Dayton Ultimax 18 bundle?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I like buying my own building materials and putting them together, but that's a pretty hard deal to beat if you value your time....I'm mostly retired and like learning how to make cabinets....

D

Defcon

Audioholic
I like buying my own building materials and putting them together, but that's a pretty hard deal to beat if you value your time....I'm mostly retired and like learning how to make cabinets....
In my case its not so much lack of time but lack of skill/tools.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Mark's box size is a testament to how good the driver is when EQed with tons of power. He did note that it's the low bass that shined in output over the 15" submervises and it would take two to compete in then upper bass. I've built a couple of 10s for a neighbor and they really work well in their 1700cf room.

link - http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-18-ultimax-subwoofer-and-cabinet-bundle--300-7099

Its been out of stock for a long time, I suspect because Mark Seaton bought all their stock for his new sub which uses this driver.

But everything I read about it is great, and it beats any commercial sub 2-3x the cost. With a iNuke amp total cost should be <$800. I really don't see why some would need a ported box for this for home use.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think a comparable value would be to get a SI DS4 driver and a 4' cu flat pack. I wouldn't be surprised if the DS4 were a slightly higher performer.

D

Defcon

Audioholic
I think a comparable value would be to get a SI DS4 driver and a 4' cu flat pack. I wouldn't be surprised if the DS4 were a slightly higher performer.
But its costlier by a fair bit since you don't get the bundle discount. Also from what I've read the UM18-22 is built like a tank you can't really damage it, and its battle tested.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Its been out of stock for a long time, I suspect because Mark Seaton bought all their stock for his new sub which uses this driver.
If Mark uses that driver completely unmodified in something he sells consider it an endorsement. There are few people in this industry more picky then that guy, and if he can't find a flaw with it than it's unlikely anyone else would be able to.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis