Is the Yamaha RX-V 2600 enough?

H

HTHOLIC

Audioholic
Ya but I am still waiting for wiring to set it up, in any case would you happen to know any answer to my question of headroom.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
HTHOLIC said:
Ya but I am still waiting for wiring to set it up, in any case would you happen to know any answer to my question of headroom.

I think pneg's post above mentioned that you will not or should not have issues with 2 ch stereo, or even in prologic and music, DD/DTS movies, as they will not demand full power at the same instant to all the channels.
Not sure about 5/7 ch stereo how that needs power at the same instant as stereo doesn't need the same power except when the signal is mono, then equal power from the two speakers at the same instant.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
H

HTHOLIC

Audioholic
Clipping, I want to play my music below 85db of course, on all 7 chanels at the same time, should I crossover to 80 or 100hz- I have a 16-46 pc plus svs subwooder?

I could use 4 speakers instead of 7, if necessary I will be within 10-15 feet of each speaker or maybe even less depending on setup.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
HTHOLIC said:
Clipping, I want to play my music below 85db of course, on all 7 chanels at the same time, should I crossover to 80 or 100hz- I have a 16-46 pc plus svs subwooder?

I could use 4 speakers instead of 7, if necessary I will be within 10-15 feet of each speaker or maybe even less depending on setup.
I think S&V measured those numbers when clipping just began, i.e. no clipping just below those numbers. Anyway, the lost of 6 dB each time distance doubles, is probably the worst case under free field conditions such as in an open area. It could be much less than that under in-room conditions depends on many factors. I read an article that claims a 3 dB (approximately) drop for every doubling of distance in a room.

You don't need much power to get 85 dB with 7 channels playing in the room you described, sitting 10 to 15 feet from the speakers. It is the transient peaks in music (especially those produced by large orchestras) could occasionally drive your 2600 to its clipping point. IMHO, to completely eliminate that possibility is going to require much more power, and ultimately your 15/20A wall outlet will become the bottleneck.

With regard to crossover, if you ask SVS, they would likely recommend 80 or lower. That’s where I think the 16-46 does best.

H

HTHOLIC

Audioholic
85 db is loud to make you deaf, is 80db fine, ie especially with classical jazz music and so on.

It is not a good idea to have hearing loss, I recently stop using headphones too much, but I suspect
the headphone cushiopn rather than then volume was the problem as I set it to over -40db.

B

bigpow

Audioholic Intern
so if i got it right, RX-V2600 will be an overkill for SVS SB-01?

I'm buying the same set (SB-01), but the 5.1 and still thinking between Yamaha RX-V2500, V2600 or Denon 3805, 2807

If this is true, then it would make no sense to get a 2600 or 2807 for SB-01?
Maybe a smaler one like Pioneer VSX-1015 or Onkyo 6xx is more appropriate?

I read somewhere that SB-01 is a low end set and a good $300 receiver would be enough to drive them.

I'm new to the hobby and I don't think the $$$ is low-end for me.
Therefore I wouldn't go with 2600 or 2807 if I could be well of with cheaper/lower end receivers

What's your take?

A

AdrianMills

Full Audioholic
bigpow said:
so if i got it right, RX-V2600 will be an overkill for SVS SB-01?

I'm buying the same set (SB-01), but the 5.1 and still thinking between Yamaha RX-V2500, V2600 or Denon 3805, 2807

If this is true, then it would make no sense to get a 2600 or 2807 for SB-01?
Maybe a smaler one like Pioneer VSX-1015 or Onkyo 6xx is more appropriate?

I read somewhere that SB-01 is a low end set and a good $300 receiver would be enough to drive them.

I'm new to the hobby and I don't think the $$$ is low-end for me.
Therefore I wouldn't go with 2600 or 2807 if I could be well of with cheaper/lower end receivers

What's your take?
I don't see the sense in whoever wrote this, "I read somewhere that SB-01 is a low end set and a good $300 receiver would be enough to drive them".

You buy a receiver for a number of reasons, for example, one is for their feature set that may include upscaling and HDMI switching, etc. Another is the power of the integrated amplifier and how well that matches to the speakers you wish to drive.

You don't buy a receiver because it costs an X amount of dollars which happens to be X amount under, over or near the cost of the speakers you're going to drive.

These speakers have a lower sensitivity than average at 85dB with 1 watt so to play very loud with some headroom you'll need an amp with a reasonable amount of power. Also, on the surface they seem like they are a reasonably easy load at a nominal 8 ohms - but SVS don't mention on their site the minimum impedance which may very well dip below 4 ohms as other nominally 8 ohm speakers sometimes do.

Remember, it’s possible that el-cheapo speakers can be extremely inefficient, in which case they would require a *lot* of amp power to drive them – that normally translates to a lot of money. Don’t automatically assume that cheap speakers equates to a cheap amp.

BTW you may find the Buying Guides here useful.

Last edited:
B

bigpow

Audioholic Intern
Ok, so maybe I got it backward then?
If the speakers are low end, then I'd need a high-end receiver?
Is that why Klipsch speakers are popular (need less amp to drive them?)

Thanks for the link to "Buying Guide".

BTW, if I just want a receiver to drive SBS-01 set without any fancy features (just enough wattage, DD or DTS, don't need HDMI etc) - then this 2600 is beginning to look like an overkill...

A

AdrianMills

Full Audioholic
bigpow said:
Ok, so maybe I got it backward then?
If the speakers are low end, then I'd need a high-end receiver?
Uh, no, not really. Like I said, price is not indicative of much besides quality (usually).

Things to look for when considering what amp you need;

- Speaker sensitivity rating; usually given in dB's for 1 watt measured at 1m - these days most are between 87 and 91dB although there others higher, like the Kipsch and some are lower, like the SVS.

- Speaker impedance; most home speakers are nominally 8 ohm, which means that's the average of its impedance curve - it may drop much lower at some points. 4 ohm is also relatively common - a 4 ohm load requires 2x as much power (watts) to drive them all else being equal.

- Room size and how far you'll be sitting from the speakers. The further away, the more power you'll need - you lose 6dB for every doubling of the distance between you and the speakers, so that 85dB@1m will be 79dB at 2m and 73 at 4.

- How loud you want to listen - most people consider 90dB to be very loud. My lawn mower is rated at 89dB and I wouldn't want that in my living room. A rock concert is about 110dB+.

- Peaks - you have to take into account transient peaks (like explosions) that will exceed the ambient sound level and make sure your amp gives some head room to cope with them. 3dB is the minimum headroom you should have but considering that ambient levels may double with transients, you'll need 10x the power as that being used for ambient levels. So, if you're listening quite loud and using 10watts and along comes a large transient, doubling the sound level, you'll need 100watts.

bigpow said:
Is that why Klipsch speakers are popular (need less amp to drive them?)
Some, maybe, but Klipsch have a distinctive sound that's very dynamic - some people like that.

bigpow said:
Thanks for the link to "Buying Guide".

BTW, if I just want a receiver to drive SBS-01 set without any fancy features (just enough wattage, DD or DTS, don't need HDMI etc) - then this 2600 is beginning to look like an overkill...
"Fancy" is a relative term now isn't it?

B

bigpow

Audioholic Intern
Thanks Adrian

I need to go back and hit the "books" again...
I'm new to the hobby and I've limited budget.

I narrowed down my speaker choices to: SBS-01 5.1 & X-LS 5.1
I'm still trying to decide on the Receiver.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis