Is something wrong?? HELP

C

Ceycey

Enthusiast
I finally found it the YPAO volume - it was set to on.

I would agree that hearing music is best in 2 channel stereo but when I am watching TV I tend to use 7 channel because it sounds better than in the prologic mode.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

I would agree that hearing music is best in 2 channel stereo ...
Good that you found the answer.
The latter is a matter of preference though. ;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

I would agree that hearing music is best in 2 channel stereo but when I am watching TV I tend to use 7 channel because it sounds better than in the prologic mode.
Using 7 channel for tv defeats the purpose of surround sound. The surround speakers pretty much just play effects and sounds will pan from front to back or side to side, creating a 3d audio experience like in a good theater. Watching in 7 channel stereo just surrounds you with everything at once. There's no immersion or 3d audio experience.

There's nothing "wrong" with using 7 ch and if that's what you like just continue doing it. You're not hearing the audio the way it was meant to tho.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Is your tv limited to 2.0?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Ceycey,
Unfortunately, I'm not sure your problem will be solved until you change your AVR. The 860 was a poor design and an insult to the Aventage line!
If you check the AH review, you will see that the output drops to 35W with 5 channels driven for 1kHz power sweep into 8 Ohms from 127W into 2 channels under the same conditions.
This is a 72.5% drop!
http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/yamaha-rx-a860/measurements

If we look at the Denon AVR-X3300W, the same measurements result in 119W dropping to 76.4W.
This is a 46.2% drop!

Generally a drop like the Yamaha is seeing can be blamed on the power supply simply not being up to the task of delivering enough current!
Furthermore, if I put on my tin foil (conspiracy theory) hat, I can't help but wonder that AH skipped one of their routine tests which is part of the 3 bullet points under Power Measurements:
Continuous Full Power Bandwidth (CFP-BW) from 20Hz to 20Khz into 8 and 4-ohm loads (up to two-channels)
Note that the 4 ohm test was not performed. This would be another (and more commonly evaluated) way to reveal PS inadequacies. The closest the Yamaha review provides is comparing 1kHz Power Sweep for 1 channel at 4 ohms vs 2 channels at 8 Ohms (note that AH reviews typically provide power for 2 channels at 4 ohms...again the tin foil hat). What we have is 127W into 2 channels for 1kHz power sweep into 8 Ohms going to 163W for 1 channel at 4 ohms, or a 28.3% increase. For the Denon, we go from 119W to 218W for an 83.2% increase. Again, this is a reflection of an inadequate power supply!

The Denon is not an out-liar, it is what you would expect from a well designed AVR in this price range! The Yamaha is a very poorly balanced product to sell as a 7 channel amp for use with mainstream speakers.

If you are running all 7 channels and if your speakers are not highly efficient and/or drop to 4 ohms, I would expect you are driving your AVR into clipping on the loud passages, especially anytime their is a lot of content on all 7 channels. So if you are trying to get anywhere close to a theater experience, you are not likely to enjoy the sound quality.

For more reading on this, check this thread:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/yamaha-rx-a860-aventage-7-2-atmos-dts-x-a-v-receiver-review.106743/page-2
Posts #24 and #25 are where it gets to the meat of things.

Edit: note that I am assuming your 840 shares the same amp design as the 860. I may be wrong on that, but when I saw you were having distortion issues running 7 channels on your 800 series Yamaha, I thought of this review of the 860.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis