Is S/PDIF compatible with AV Receiver connections?

U

Unregistered

I use an M-audio Delta-66 PCI based sound card to output music from a server directly to my Receiver. Currently, I use a 2-channel analog audio connection. The analog connection works great, but the files are in WMF lossless format, and the card uses a processor that gives 24bit/96KHz sound processing. The card offers awesome fidelity, so I would like to connect the card digitally to a new AV receiver. Are any of the digital audio connections on standard AV receivers compatible with direct connection via S/PDIF? FYI, I am looking at a Yamaha RX-V 750. Any input appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I believe they all are.

That acronym stands for Sony & Philips Digital Interface, which is how most all digital signals are carried. At least as far as HT goes, anyway. Now, whether they can decode WMF format is another question entirely.

U

Unregistered

The simple answer is Yes - S/PDIF is S/PDIF regardless of whether it is transferred over a coax cable with RCA connectors or an optical cable with a Toslink connector.

The only complication is that some sound cards use slightly different connectors. For example, my Santa Cruz card has a standard 1/8" mini jack. To use it I would need a cable with a 1/8" mini plug on one end and an RCA connector on the other to connect to the coaxial digital in on my receiver. My other computer has optical digital outs on the soundcard on the motherboard, but the outs use a mini-Toslink connector. I would need an optical cable with a mini-Toslink on one end and a regular size Toslink on the other (or an adapter to convert from mini to regular size). Toslink connectors are designated A or B, but I forget which size is A and which size is B.

As long as you can get a cable with the suitable connectors everything will work.

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
That's true. I really wish the computer makers and audio makers can get their acts together to simplify standardizing on these connections. They're supposed to be on a convergent path towards what they call "infotainment." Seems they are making the path unecessarily harder for consumers to realize.

U

Unregistered

av_phile said:
That's true. I really wish the computer makers and audio makers can get their acts together to simplify standardizing on these connections. They're supposed to be on a convergent path towards what they call "infotainment." Seems they are making the path unecessarily harder for consumers to realize.
----------------

I agree. Creative should get their act together and ship their internal cards with a coax connector or an toslink connector. I currently use a M-Audio Revo 7.1. I had a GTXP 7.1 before.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis